Mate3 port key

Discussion about the OutBack OpticsRE system monitor

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

Mate3 port key

Postby Jeffrey on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:35 pm

When I press the Port key from the Mate3 home page nothing happens. I can’t get to the page that displays the IP address etc. tried unplugging the Mate3 cable and plugging it in again- no joy.
Jeffrey

My RE system: 4 3048 inverters with two 4 Kw arrays and 2 flexmax 80 charge controllers, off grid with 15KW ecogen generator.

Re: Mate3 port key

Postby klundquist on Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:59 pm

Do you see any lights on the back of the Mate3 Ethernet port when it is plugged in to your network?

Does your Mate3 have the same firmware version for both the Mate3 and the Ethernet? Check by pressing LOCK > 141 Password > Settings > System > Firmware

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Systems Engineer
http://www.alpha.com/solar
klundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering

My RE system: VFX3524, Mate, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Postby Megunticook on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:13 am

If I may jump in here, I'm having the same issue with the Mate 3s. I've updated the Mate to the latest firmware but the ethernet firmware displays as 000.000.000.

I don't see anywhere on the site where I can download ethernet firmware. How do I update that?
Megunticook
OutBack Whiz

My RE system: 6.4 kW solar array (21 QCell 305 panels in strings of 3)
GS8048A FLEXpower Radian (Radian 8048A, 2 FlexMax 80 cc's, Mate 3s, FlexNet DC, Hub)
8x6v Rolls-Surette 550 FLA batteries, 428AH

Postby David LeBow on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:28 am

You don't download the Ethernet firmware separately. The one download contains executables for both processors. It sounds like only half of the upgrade completed. Have you tried repeating the process?

David
David LeBow
Vice President, Software Engineering

Alpha Technologies Inc. / OutBack Power Technologies
3767 Alpha Way Bellingham WA 98226 USA
http://www.alpha.com
David LeBow
OutBack Management

Postby Megunticook on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:40 am

Yes, I've reflashed the firmware several times. It may be a hardware issue with the MATE.
Megunticook
OutBack Whiz

GS8048A FLEXpower Radian (Radian 8048A, 2 FlexMax 80 cc's, Mate 3s, FlexNet DC, Hub)

Postby klundquist on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:57 am

For best results I suggest the following:

- Reformat an SD card to FAT32. Don't use an HD card.
- Download the Firmware file from the OutBack site.
- Open/Unzip file
- Move the following files to your SD card: WEBFILES / M3s.bin / M3sEth.bin / screens.xml / and the READ ME.txt file
- Put the SD card in the Mate3
- Clear the internal Data Log LOCK > 141 Password > Settings > System > Clear Internal Data Log
- Now select firmware update on the Mate3

Sorry if my instructions seem overly simplistic. I'm not trying to be pedantic, I'm just trying to be clear.

Thanks,

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Systems Engineer
http://www.alpha.com/solar
klundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering

My RE system: VFX3524, Mate, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Postby Megunticook on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:03 am

My MATE shipped with a micro SD card that fits into an SD adapter. That work OK?

Appreciate your explicit step-by-step instructions. Will give it a try and report back.
Megunticook
OutBack Whiz

Postby Megunticook on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:42 am

No dice. Still displays ethernet firmware version as 000.000.000.

Outback is sending a new MATE3s, looks like a hardware issue.
Megunticook
OutBack Whiz

Postby Megunticook on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:00 am

Strangely enough, I tried pushing the "port" key on my MATE3s this morning and lo and behold it displayed the OpticsRe screen. With MAC address finally in hand, I was able to complete my profile at the OpticsRe website and am now looking at my system performance in real time. Pretty cool.

One question, though. I've been running for about a month--any way to load that data into OpticsRe recursively? Looking at the event history, it's showing the past 3 days. Does that mean something in my MATE3s woke up 3 days ago?

I assume all the data from day 1 is still stored in the MATE. Can I export that data into a file and somehow upload it to OpticsRE?

My new MATE3s was shipped last week and is due to arrive tomorrow. Not sure if I should still do the swap since my original MATE is now working. Perhaps I'll hold onto the replacement for a month and make sure things are stable.

I did notice something odd--I think it was yesterday, around lunchtime, I was observing the performance (it was around solar noon and things were really humming), and out of nowhere the MATE rebooted itself. Isn't that supposed to happen at night? Is that a sign that all is not well with the unit?

In any case, exciting to see the data in my web browser finally.
Megunticook
OutBack Whiz

Postby David LeBow on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:36 am

Megunticook wrote:One question, though. I've been running for about a month--any way to load that data into OpticsRe recursively? Looking at the event history, it's showing the past 3 days. Does that mean something in my MATE3s woke up 3 days ago?

I assume all the data from day 1 is still stored in the MATE. Can I export that data into a file and somehow upload it to OpticsRE?

That's not an assumption we can make. The Mate3 has limited memory. At best, "some amount of recent data" could have been saved to an inserted SD card in the Mate3 if it had enough space. If it wasn't there and/or didn't have space available, there would be nothing saved. If it was there, the Mate3 would have attempted to "replay" the data to Optics when it reconnected. I'm (about 98%) sure that there's no way to retrieve additional data if the Mate3 didn't cough it up to Optics itself.

Megunticook wrote:I did notice something odd--I think it was yesterday, around lunchtime, I was observing the performance (it was around solar noon and things were really humming), and out of nowhere the MATE rebooted itself. Isn't that supposed to happen at night? Is that a sign that all is not well with the unit?

If you would add your OpticsRE site name to your user forum profile, we could take a quick look at your configuration and provide more complete information. Until then, here's a possibility: there's a configuration setting from within OpticsRE which allows you to have the Mate3 automatically reboot itself after "n" hours. The Mate3 isn't otherwise normally set up to reboot on its own. So: a couple of possible explanations for the reboot would be 1) some kind of power glitch to the Mate3; 2) an auto-reboot setting from within OpticsRE.

Hope that's some help.

David
David LeBow

David LeBow
OutBack Management

Postby Megunticook on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:33 am

Thanks David.

I'll try to pull whatever data I can from the MATE onto an SD card and see what I can with it. The other day I was looking at CC data from December just by using the buttons on the MATE.

I just added my Optics site name to my profile. Let me know what you find.

Pretty sure I set the MATE to reboot once a day, but I was thinking that happened at night. I'll go back and reread the documentation there. Maybe it was mid-day when I originally punched in that setting.

Another thing--looking at my Event History today, I'm seeing a couple warnings about AC input current:
Inverter on port 1 detected AC Input current exceeds maximum allowed. AC Input Current 65522 AAC.

and
Inverter on port 1, AC Input current below maximum allowed. AC Input Current 0 AAC.

I've been selling so I'm guessing this is somehow triggered by the outflow of AC current from the inverter to the grid. Just ignore?
Megunticook
OutBack Whiz

Postby David LeBow on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:17 am

I'm chalking those up to cruddy "error" messages (that's the technical term).

I've added a ticket to our internal system to have that looked and "refined" in an upcoming release.

David
David LeBow

David LeBow
OutBack Management

Postby Megunticook on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:01 am

Suddenly one morning last week I pushed the port key while on the home screen and the OpticsRE screen appeared with the MAC address. I have Optics working now, and the MATE is behaving (the next day my replacement MATE arrived!). I'll hold on to the replacement for a few weeks just to make sure the original MATE doesn't flake out again, but for now all is well. Strange.
Megunticook
OutBack Whiz

Postby Megunticook on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:03 am

Oh, and as far as those error messages, it looks like I had the inverter's AC input current too low so I raised it to 50A to match the breaker. The error messages are gone. My bad.
Megunticook
OutBack Whiz

Return to OpticsRE