Solar Panel Energy Generation vs OpticsRE Stated

Discussion about the OutBack OpticsRE system monitor

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

Solar Panel Energy Generation vs OpticsRE Stated

Postby outrigger999 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:09 pm

Hello,

This is a feature request....

Can you consider stating the total energy being generated at the solar panels in addition to what you already have which is energy being used by the system?

The power output stated in the power ring and the number next to the solar panel flow diagram in OpticsRE, is just the power which is being used by the system and not the total output coming from the solar panels. I have proved this to myself by running my dryer and seeing the power utilization shoot up and the output from the solar panels immediately increase. Now I know this isn't unusual. This is how the system should work. The charge controllers regulate the charging of batteries and in my case also cover the household usage. They dynamically cover the power needs for both and basically discard energy it cannot safely use.

What I'd like to see is the total output of from the solar array (at any given time) regardless of whether it's used or not. I'd like that data to be captured in the same way that all the other data is captures so it can be analyzed after the fact. This data is useful to understand how much overhead a given system has and would be useful for end of year, beginning of next year solar planning to understand how much energy generation was actually created by a system as opposed to what was used from that whole.

Thanks!
outrigger999
OutBack Virtuoso

Re: Solar Panel Energy Generation vs OpticsRE Stated

Postby nardsm10@armyspy.com on Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:30 pm

OPTICS RE was created specifically to improve system oversight and longevity by enabling greater visibility into system performance and health. The OPTICS RE platform provides unique remote monitoring and control capabilities that include sophisticated energy flow metrics, at-a-glance fleet management oversight for installers managing multiple systems for customers, and intuitive control features that reduce overall PV/solar system cost and solar energy solutions.
Last edited by nardsm10@armyspy.com on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nardsm10@armyspy.com

Re: Solar Panel Energy Generation vs OpticsRE Stated

Postby Mike Curran on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:49 pm

My system is grid-tied so any "excess" goes to the grid, so what is displayed (for my system, anyway) is what's being generated.

I'm assuming you're off-grid?
Mike Curran
OutBack Guru

My RE system: Outback: 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one MX60, 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80, 2 grid-tied GVFX3524's classic stacked for 120/240VAC, 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah, Hub10.3, Mate3, FNDC, RTS, OpticsRE. Tigo Energy ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar: 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters. 6,450 nameplate watts AC, grid-tied.

Return to OpticsRE