Leave batteries connected when not being used

Discussion about the OutBack Energy Cell Batteries
vander
Forum Junior Member

Leave batteries connected when not being used

Post by vander » Mon May 08, 2017 2:23 pm

I have 3 Outback Power Nano Carbon 106 batteries hooked up in parallel for my RV system. For longevity of the batteries, would I better off:

1) Turning off the main power switch and disconnecting the batteries from the rest of the system (charger+load) for periods where I'm not intending to use them. This could be from 5 days to a month.
2) Turning off the switch to the majority of my loads but leaving the batteries connected to my solar charger. This would be my preferred option. The only load that I'd have in this configuration would be my battery monitor. That draws anywhere from 15-30mA. This would be great so that the batteries wouldn't have to go through a learning cycle when reconnecting them. The downside is that I'm not sure if the would enter the float state with the 30mA load.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

JRHill
Forum Czar
My RE system: -House: FM 80, VFX 3648, FlexnetDC, FlexWare xformer, Mate 3 / Hub, WattPlot/, 2925w SunTech 195, Trojan L16RE-B Batteries. Backup 1: Honda EU7000is w/2 wire auto start via FM80 aux, backup 2: 11kw Miller Bobcat;
-Well: Grundfos 11-SQF-2 pump, controller & AC switch (CU200, IO101), Tristar 45 Controller, 780w SunTech 195, Trojan golf cart batteries.
-All running since July '11 with various upgrades and workarounds.

Re: Leave batteries connected when not being used

Post by JRHill » Tue May 09, 2017 10:24 am

I'd do #2 and even leave the inverter on but with no loads. Your batteries will get charged through the day and the draw from the inverter's "overhead" will pull the batteries down a little over night so they will run through the normal charge cycles regularly. And you'll be ready to roll come the next trip.

BellaHamilton
Forum Junior Member

Re: Leave batteries connected when not being used

Post by BellaHamilton » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:51 am

Hi,

I also prefer to disconnect the batteries from the charge and load (like clock) thinking that it's better for battery.