Maintenance of AGM no-maintenance battery

Discussion about the OutBack Energy Cell Batteries
hrvojebre
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: 12 panels 240W - 4 batt. 240 Ah - Morningstar TriStar MPPT - 1 Shenzen inverter/charger 12V(1,5kW) - 1 Shenzen inverter/charger 48V(3kW)

Maintenance of AGM no-maintenance battery

Post by hrvojebre » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:30 am

However the title might be strange, please be kind to explain my case:
My batt is not an OutBack product, but the moderator approved my application.
Have a "Sole" AGM battery that went dead after 4 years of service. No particular stresses during its life. One of the cells is dead and a sudden drop is read after applying larger load. It worked in a 4 pcs. battery bank (to provide 12 and 48 volts). Anyway, it seemed to be really dry after I measured voltage on each of the cells. After adding dist. water in the dead cell, it went from 0,13 V to 1,96 in about 40 minutes. I then poured 1 liter of dist. water in all the cells (equal qty.) and let it be for a day. Today, not a single drop would come out of the battery after I turned it upside-down. The matte sucked-up all of the water ? Does that mean it would be wise to fill the 3 other (good) batteries with some quantity to avoid their respective eventual defects ? Could lack of liquid be the cause of damage ? Thank you out there ! #-o

EMCF
Forum Virtuoso
My RE system: FX3048, 4 200a batteries, FM60. 3 kw array

Re: Maintenance of AGM no-maintenance battery

Post by EMCF » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:01 pm

Confused here. An AGM battery does not have refillable caps on it. How did you manage to pour distilled water? Drilled some holes?
Outback Fanboy at your service

hrvojebre
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: 12 panels 240W - 4 batt. 240 Ah - Morningstar TriStar MPPT - 1 Shenzen inverter/charger 12V(1,5kW) - 1 Shenzen inverter/charger 48V(3kW)

Re: Maintenance of AGM no-maintenance battery

Post by hrvojebre » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:06 am

EMCF wrote:Confused here. An AGM battery does not have refillable caps on it. How did you manage to pour distilled water? Drilled some holes?
It has 3 plastic plates approx. 3*12 cm on the top. Underneath each one finds 2 resin-like caps closing holes dia. 12mm approx. These are slightly concave before opening (pressurized inwards). I measured the V through these. The concave form restores after closing the holes after some 20 min. My question remains.