solartribe
Forum Expert
My RE system: 6 x 24v 235w poly
1 x FM80
1x GFX1312
4x 100A battleborn LFP batteries
Honda EU2000
Mate3s Optics. Hub 10.3
Note- I install many offgrid systems, so a post could be referring to a different setup- however I install exclusively Outback.

outback RE vs outback NC

Post by solartribe » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:06 am

I see that the NC batteries are recommended over the RE batteries when the battery bank is expected to be subjected to partial state of charge on a regular basis.
But is there ever a situation where the RE batteries actually outperform the NC batteries? And what would that scenario look like?
Thanks!

solartribe
Forum Expert
My RE system: 6 x 24v 235w poly
1 x FM80
1x GFX1312
4x 100A battleborn LFP batteries
Honda EU2000
Mate3s Optics. Hub 10.3
Note- I install many offgrid systems, so a post could be referring to a different setup- however I install exclusively Outback.

Re: outback RE vs outback NC

Post by solartribe » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:43 am

after further research, i was able to get an answer to my question. posting here for benefit of others.

The NC battery will last exactly as long (1800 cycles) as the RE battery if both are (daily) fully charged and discharged 50%.
The RE will have reduced life if not completely charged regularly. The NC should not.
The NC will last up to 44% longer if kept at an SOC between 30% and 80%. (the website seems to have a typo of 50% instead of 30%)

The NC will always perform as well as or better than an RE battery. If a system is over paneled and very likely to receive a full charge everyday, it would not be worth the extra cost to get the NC batteries over the RE batteries.

This is the best answer i can come up with considering the information I was given. If any of it is wrong, please correct it!