Energy Cell Commissioning Sequence

Discussion about the OutBack Energy Cell Batteries
osotogari
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: eerrr

Energy Cell Commissioning Sequence

Post by osotogari » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:25 am

Couple of questions:

How important is the commissioning sequence? I ask because it appears that it is a week and a half long process. I am also curious how many OB users have a continuous 25adc load to apply to a bank. The sequence also falls off after the last step (compare Mc to the given table. I would assume after the testing period that the batteries be charged "normally"? Below is the sequence from the manual.

Before commissioning batteries:
1. Measure and record inter-battery connection resistances and open circuit voltages. These measurements should be used as a reference for future maintenance requirements.
2. Perform a visual inspection of all terminals, components, and connections.
3. Verify that the chargerÔÇÖs set points are adjusted to the correct values for the battery and the application.
To commission batteries before initial use:
1. Send the batteries through a complete charge cycle (see next section) according to these instructions:
Ôê╝ The batteries should be held at the specified absorption voltage for 24 hours.
Ôê╝ Following this stage, the batteries should be held at the specified float voltage for three to seven days.
2. Clean all battery terminals to ensure reliable electrical connections.
3. Install a DC load which draws a continuous 25 Adc. This allows the results to be correlated to the specified capacity. The load may be used on either a single battery or a full string.
4. The load test unit wires must be sized correctly. For load testing all wiring should have a minimum ampacity of 150% of the load current.
5. With this load, discharge the batteries until they have reached 10.5 Vdc per battery (1.75 Vdc per cell).
6. Monitor the elapsed time. At the same time, monitor the batteryÔÇÖs temperature.
7. Record the temperature at the end of the test. Use the equation below to adjust the results for temperature.
Mc = Mr(1 ÔÇô 0.009 [T ÔÇô 26.7])
where Mr = actual elapsed minutes T = temperature at end of run time Mc = minutes corrected for temperature with a baseline of 80┬░F (26.7┬░C).
8. Compare Mc with the appropriate value in Table 1. The batteries should deliver greater than 90% of their rated run time.

Thanks!

okkman
Forum Whiz
My RE system: GS8048, 3 FlexMax 80 CC's, GSLC, Mate3, 33 SolarWorld 275W panels, 12 Outback 200RE AGM batteries, Hub10, Flexnet DC, Integrated Battery Rack

Re: Energy Cell Commissioning Sequence

Post by okkman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:34 pm

Hey Oostogari,

Good questions! I commissioned my Radian based system today with 12 of the 200RE batteries in 3 strings of 4 (48v). My installer and I read those same instructions in the manual and neither of us knows what the best method of imposing the 25amp load might be.

For me I am more confused by the instruction to bulk charge for 24hours, as my batteries at resting voltage were all more than 80% charged. Even when I command a bulk charge start from the Mate3, the system seems to stop charging due to the batteries being full. I am not sure if my FlexNetDC settings are stopping the charge, or if it might be settings somewhere else. Did you read the resting voltages of each battery before connecting them together? How did your first charge go? Have you learned any more since your first post?

Best Regards,

Eric

osotogari
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: eerrr

Re: Energy Cell Commissioning Sequence

Post by osotogari » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:10 pm

okkman,
the DC load can be applied with a battery tester that is designed to work with your 48v system. They are all over the interwebs. Finding a reliable one at a good price is the trick:) We just wrapped the installation and have not commissioned the batteries yet but will be initiating this sequence in order to make sure we are delivering what our client expects. I am still curious to here from OB on this issue. (hola mods?) How many people are actually following this sequence. It is over a week long. What are the implications of not following it? I am assuming the primary reason for it is to catch a bad cell from the factory?