sod0499
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: 48VDC, twin 2,500 watt inverters
(9) JAP6(k) 315 watt panels
flexmax 80 charge controller
(8) Trojan 6 volt, 375 Ah AGM batteries

battery switches

Post by sod0499 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:32 pm

I recently purchased a new set of batteries for my off-grid system. The old set, though 12 years old, still has strong performance. A suggestion was made to install a battery switch to switch from the new bank to the old bank and, thus, still utilize the capacity of the old bank. Apparently, this is a common approach with boat batteries. Does anyone have any experience (or opinion) with this approach in a solar system? Obviously, the size of the battery is significantly larger.

JRHill
Forum Czar
My RE system: -House: FM 80, VFX 3648, FlexnetDC, FlexWare xformer, Mate 3 / Hub, WattPlot/, 2925w SunTech 195, Trojan L16RE-B Batteries. Backup 1: Honda EU7000is w/2 wire auto start via FM80 aux, backup 2: 11kw Miller Bobcat;
-Well: Grundfos 11-SQF-2 pump, controller & AC switch (CU200, IO101), Tristar 45 Controller, 780w SunTech 195, Trojan golf cart batteries.
-All running since July '11 with various upgrades and workarounds.

Re: battery switches

Post by JRHill » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:33 am

I pondered this question when I replaced my batteries a few years back because, like you, the old batteries still had service life. At that time I also added a FNDC and a Mate3. I ultimately dismissed the idea for two reasons: 1) the FNDC and, 2) charging complications. If I were to switch to a charged bank then I am leaving the other in a discharged state - not good. Since the value of the reserve would be in the winter when I'm using generator power anyway I'd just be making things more complex and doing a disservice to all of the batteries.

But I still didn't want to return usable batteries just for the core charge. So I put an add in the local paper and got an immediate call from someone who was trying to live off grid but couldn't afford adequate, new batteries. I ended up with about half the value of a new set of L16 in trade for 5 rolls of very expensive fence that he had to trade. We both came out well.

The down side was the fence had to be built (wink).

Vic
Forum Czar

Post by Vic » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:46 am

sod0499 wrote:I recently purchased a new set of batteries for my off-grid system. The old set, though 12 years old, still has strong performance. A suggestion was made to install a battery switch to switch from the new bank to the old bank and, thus, still utilize the capacity of the old bank. Apparently, this is a common approach with boat batteries. Does anyone have any experience (or opinion) with this approach in a solar system? Obviously, the size of the battery is significantly larger.
Battery switches are commonly-used on 12 V systems, and sometimes on 24 V systems, but, generally, the Maximum voltage rating to the "1 -> 2, 1 + 2, Off" switches (which you would probably want), have a Maximum voltage rating of 32 V. Have seen a single bank, ON , Off switch that has a Max voltage rating of 48 V, but this is just too low a voltage rating for LA batteries.

Those 12 year-old batteries may have less Capacity than you are guessing ...

FWIW, Vic
4/20/08: 18 Shell SQ 175-106 Vmpp, Stacked 5548 SW+, 1350 AH Surrette 4KS25's, MX-60, Kubota SQ-3250 25 KVA Polyphase Diesel genset. Thanks OutBack for this Forum + the great Support and Service.

sod0499
Forum Junior Member
My RE system: 48VDC, twin 2,500 watt inverters
(9) JAP6(k) 315 watt panels
flexmax 80 charge controller
(8) Trojan 6 volt, 375 Ah AGM batteries

Post by sod0499 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:39 am

Thanks for your thoughts. One additional factor that might be relevant is that my system is overpowered with panels. So, I should be able to recharge both battery banks in a day of sun. I am just trying to keep from using batteries that are down to 50% state of charge from the evening's usage.

What does FNDC stand for?

Lastly, I will check the voltage rating on the battery switch. Clearly critical.

Boyd

jbakker
Forum Guru
My RE system: 2 VFX3648 Inverters 2 FM60 150VDC Charge Controllers Mate3 3.4 KW of panels 15kw JC Onan NG Generator made in 1975 I love that generator almost as much as my wife.
7 banks of 14 cells each from a 2017 Chevy Volt. Parallel for the AMP Hour. 7 Chinese made BMS systems.

Post by jbakker » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:15 am

This is what a FNDC is.

http://www.outbackpower.com/products/sy ... flexnet-dc

Allows you much more detail in what is going in and out of your batteries.

Lots of info here on the the units. Do a search.