6 VOLT GOLF CART BATTERIES

Discussion about the OutBack Energy Cell Batteries
Neil
Forum Member
My RE system: Flexmax

6 VOLT GOLF CART BATTERIES

Post by Neil » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:01 am

Over this winter my batteries just died. Four 100 AH batteries that will charge but they will not hold the charge and they struggle to charge

so I need new batteries.. And I really love the Outback system I have but I don't have huge money to spend on batteries.

I have heard I could use 6 volt golf cart batteries

Could someone that has done that help me out with what you did and where you get your batteries and how it's going ?

thanks

Neil

provo
Forum Guru
My RE system: Sixteen Evergreen EC-120
(4 strings, total 1920W)
Eight Rolls S-550 (2 strings, total ~800Ah @ 24V)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
Trimetric

Re: 6 VOLT GOLF CART BATTERIES

Post by provo » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:16 am

Neil wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:01 am
Over this winter my batteries just died. Four 100 AH batteries that will charge but they will not hold the charge and they struggle to charge
so I need new batteries.. And I really love the Outback system I have but I don't have huge money to spend on batteries.

I have heard I could use 6 volt golf cart batteries. Could someone that has done that help me out with what you did and where you get your batteries and how it's going ?
Could you tell us more about your system? What brand and model are the four struggling 100Ah batteries? What model is your charge
controller (the FlexMax)? What inverter are you using? What is the size of your PV array? If you're using a generator, what is the model?

Neil
Forum Member

Post by Neil » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:06 pm

thanks for the reply

I have

Outback's 4 KW flex inverter VFX3648 system

4 Pacific Power 100 AH batteries

6 Silicon Energy Cascade 200W solar panels

this is mounted on a box truck I use for energy hungry music systems for street music

I have no generator

JRHill
Forum Czar
My RE system: -House: FM 80, VFX 3648, FlexnetDC, FlexWare xformer, Mate 3 / Hub, WattPlot/, 2925w SunTech 195, Trojan L16RE-B Batteries. Backup 1: Honda EU7000is w/2 wire auto start via VFX aux, backup 2: 11kw Miller Bobcat;
-Well: Grundfos 11-SQF-2 pump, controller & AC switch (CU200, IO101), Tristar 45 Controller, 780w SunTech 195, Trojan golf cart batteries.
-All running since July '11 with various upgrades and workarounds.

Post by JRHill » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:30 pm

So when your system is powered up and running, how much current does it draw on average and for how long?

When your rig is not working can you connect to "shore power" to charge/maintain the batteries?

Lastly, why wouldn't you have a 'lil mouse generator running between sets to help out?

LedZep and Robin Trower can draw a lot of power. And they should (wink).

provo
Forum Guru
(4 strings, total 1920W)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
Trimetric

Post by provo » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:36 pm

Neil wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:06 pm

Outback's 4 KW flex inverter VFX3648 system
4 Pacific Power 100 AH batteries
6 Silicon Energy Cascade 200W solar panels
I have no generator
OK, great :grin: .. You might want to enter that info into your profile so it appears to the right of your postings.

So your battery pack has a total of 4.8kWh (48V x 100Ah), of which 2.4kWh is usable (but hard on the batteries), and your array is 1.2kW. Others here know more about AGM's than me, but I'd guess you're chronically undercharging your batteries. How old are they? What are your typical loads, for how many hours in a day, and how much shade-free sun do you get? Your location would be important also -- Phoenix? ..... Seattle? Also your settings for charging voltages, charging times, etc. Do you do periodic EQ's on your batteries?

These are all questions you'd need to answer before buying a new pack also....

Neil
Forum Member

Post by Neil » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:43 pm

I'm near Seattle and my truck unfortunately is badly parked in shade because I don't have a good spot in the sun. I admit it's my fault these batteries failed although they are 6 years old . And .. at this point the whole system is dead .. does nothing when I turn it on

provo
Forum Guru
(4 strings, total 1920W)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
Trimetric

Post by provo » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:19 pm

Neil wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:43 pm
I'm near Seattle and my truck unfortunately is badly parked in shade because I don't have a good spot in the sun. I admit it's my fault these batteries failed although they are 6 years old . And .. at this point the whole system is dead .. does nothing when I turn it on
Hmmmm...Seattle in the shade....And actually, from what little I DO know about AGM's, 6 years might be pretty good! Anyway, all the loading (current) questions and charging questions would still have to be addressed for a new pack.

But to answer your original question, eight 6V golf cart batteries could work, provided they were correctly sized for your system and you could keep them properly charged.

raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower One: FX3048T, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Outback 200NC batteries (8 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 6 strings of 2 in series)
Hyundai 355 watt panels (6 - 3 strings of 2 in series)
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Post by raysun » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:29 pm

provo wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:19 pm
Neil wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:43 pm
Hmmmm...Seattle in the shade....And actually, from what little I DO know about AGM's, 6 years might be pretty good! Anyway, all the loading (current) questions and charging questions would still have to be addressed for a new pack.

But to answer your original question, eight 6V golf cart batteries could work, provided they were correctly sized for your system and you could keep them properly charged.
Aloha from a Seattle boy, former Hostile Northwest Native, now living in Hawaii. Welcome to the Outback forum, and TURN THE G%#%;?M MUSIC DOWN. 😂😂😂😂

Here in the wilds of low-rent Big Island, off grid systems frequently use 6V golf cart batteries. Poor battery management (over drawing, insufficient charging) generally kills them after a year or two. My advice to my neighbors who.go this route is to look at the replacement warranty when buying this type of battery. Forget the pro-rated lifetime warranty, the "I've had these 6 months and they are dead" replacement warranty is what you want to focus on. A common battery source here is Costco. Their replacement warranty is 1 year. I tell folks to use them for 11 months and 2 weeks, then exchange them. Essentially, this turns out to be a two-year service life on the golf cart battery.

Know too, these batteries are generally FLA (flooded lead acid), rather than AGM (sealed) batteries, so will require regular maintenance in the form of adding distilled water to the cells. They also vent explosive hydrogen gas when charging. If the battery compartment isn't convenient to access the battery blocks for watering, they will not get serviced as well as necessary (just human nature.) If the battery vents into the interior of the rig, "sparking up" in the back of the bus can cause a whole new rush.

Will 8 6V battery blocks fit where the 4 12V blocks are now?

The 100AH @ 48V battery that lasted 6 years, is pretty good service life. That is 4.8kWH total capacity, of which 50% is generally considered usable. Drawing a lead acid battery lower than 50% state of charge (SoC) on a regular basis will materially shorten its service life. 2.4kWH of draw would be running the inverter at 80% for about 45 minutes (2.8kW), or 35% (1kW) for maybe 3 hours. With the Flexpower 1 setup the FNDC and Mate give good battery monitoring capabilities which you obviously know about, and use.

Most of the golf cart batteries are around 6V @ 200AH, so an battery of 8 would be double the capacity of the current battery (when it was new and healthy.) Do you need the extra runtime capacity? A bigger bucket takes more juice to fill. You want to fill the bucket fully every time you draw from it. That implies a bigger battery needs a bigger charge (more solar panels or more sun.) Also the 6V 200AH battery blocks will likely cost more than a new set of 12V 100AH AGM or Gel battery blocks. (There's lots of cheap Chinese sealed batteries on the market these days.)

My suggestion is to look into replacing the 4 12V blocks with 4 of the same capacity and design (sealed). In addition, get a small (1 - 2kW) inverter generator to suppliment charging on the 45 weeks Seattle is clouded in every year. The Honda units are the gold standard - light weight, capable and whisper quiet. They are also the gold standard in cost - that is, every pound of Honda generator costs about a pound of gold. ;) The cheap Chinese inverter generator clones (Walmart, Cabellas, etc.) are a possible consideration. An inverter generator can hook right into the FP1 AC IN and works great for charging via the inverter.

Neil
Forum Member

Post by Neil » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:43 pm

I understand "properly sizing ' a system since it of course makes sense to calculate inflow and outflow and making sure the batteries are fully charged so they can last longer etc. But since I have to proactively either charge these with my house power or in Winter drive my truck to where it's sunny and the output is basically rather occasional and random , I think my main and biggest interest is in having enough battery power to do an evening of street music. The four 100 AH batteries where OK but i'd prefer 50 to 100 percent more juice in an evening so I assume I need higher AH batteries . I notice some of these 6 volt batteries have over 200 AH capacity ?

raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:49 pm

Neil wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:43 pm
I understand "properly sizing ' a system since it of course makes sense to calculate inflow and outflow and making sure the batteries are fully charged so they can last longer etc. But since I have to proactively either charge these with my house power or in Winter drive my truck to where it's sunny and the output is basically rather occasional and random , I think my main and biggest interest is in having enough battery power to do an evening of street music. The four 100 AH batteries where OK but i'd prefer 50 to 100 percent more juice in an evening so I assume I need higher AH batteries . I notice some of these 6 volt batteries have over 200 AH capacity ?
Sure. There's 6V L16 format batteries of 400AH capacity.

There are also 12V 8D batteries of 225AH.

Lots of other formats in the market as well.

Neil
Forum Member

Post by Neil » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:53 pm

[/quote]
My suggestion is to look into replacing the 4 12V blocks with 4 of the same capacity and design (sealed). In addition, get a small (1 - 2kW) inverter generator to suppliment charging on the 45 weeks Seattle is clouded in every year. The Honda units are the gold standard - light weight, capable and whisper quiet. They are also the gold standard in cost - that is, every pound of Honda generator costs about a pound of gold. ;) The cheap Chinese inverter generator clones (Walmart, Cabellas, etc.) are a possible consideration. An inverter generator can hook right into the FP1 AC IN and works great for charging via the inverter.
[/quote]

thanks much for your thoughts . Ok I'll follow your advise ands get some cheaper sealed possibly Chinese batteries . Any ideas on specific brands there ?

raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:08 pm

Neil wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:53 pm
[/quote]

thanks much for your thoughts . Ok I'll follow your advise ands get some cheaper sealed possibly Chinese batteries . Any ideas on specific brands there ?
[/quote]

No specific brand I'd recommend. Universal Battery is a common supplier.

Neil
Forum Member

Post by Neil » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:13 pm

im not finding "universal battery ' ?

raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:31 pm

Neil wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:13 pm
im not finding "universal battery ' ?
They show up from a lot of vendors, and will have UB in the model name.

https://www.amazon.com/WindyNation-amp- ... 134&sr=8-3

raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:37 pm

One other thought about building out a battery of higher capacity.

If you start with a new bank of four 12V 100AH battery blocks, and want to increase capacity "down the road", a 2nd bank of the same four 12V 100A battery blocks could be added, if done so within 6 months of commissioning the first bank.

Much past 6 months, and cell aging creates too much of a disparity between old and new battery blocks, leading to shortened service life.

Neil
Forum Member

Post by Neil » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:43 pm

i just pulled the trigger on four 12 volt 100 ah Universals from Amazon .. they were highly rated by folks on Amazon too. thanks for the help

raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:16 pm

Neil wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:43 pm
i just pulled the trigger on four 12 volt 100 ah Universals from Amazon .. they were highly rated by folks on Amazon too. thanks for the help
YW.

Normally I ask the vendor for batteries from the freshest stock, but in this case, I'd request the pre-Corona vintage.

;)

(My last sick joke for today, but we'll be here all week.)

Neil
Forum Member

Post by Neil » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:07 pm

raysun wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:16 pm
Neil wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:43 pm
YW.

Normally I ask the vendor for batteries from the freshest stock, but in this case, I'd request the pre-Corona vintage.

;)

(My last sick joke for today, but we'll be here all week.)
we can be thankful batteries didn't get hoarded like TP did haha :)

raysun
Forum Emperor

Post by raysun » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:14 pm

20200308_162711.jpg