generator set up vxfr3648a

Discussion about the OutBack Energy Cell Batteries

generator set up vxfr3648a

Postby Sasxha189 on Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:06 am

Hello. I'm a relative amateur to solar installation, but I am building a system for a client. I have built before for myself, so I get the basics. The question is as follows: I have a vfxr3648 outback inverter I want to charge my 48 v battery bank (2 strings of 8 rolls s-550 6 volt batteries) with a generator as needed. I do not have mate and I am not using ags. I have searched through the manual and I cannot find any specific information about the install. After reading a few posts here I gathered that I could directly wire my generator to the AC in lugs on my inverter. I have done so, but I am not sure when to disconnect the generator from the system. The process is as follows: turn on generator, (3500w 25 a predator) plug in power cord, watch the charge controller until the "out" reading reaches 53.0V, (it seems to stop accumulation here) unplug power cord, power down generator. Is there anything wrong here? The system is not under load whatsoever, but my voltage out reading drops relatively quick. Everything is wired up except the panels and the AC breaker box. (I guess this turned into two questions)

Thank you for your time!
Sasxha
Sasxha189
Forum Member

My RE system:

Re: generator set up vxfr3648a

Postby Mike Curran on Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:31 am

If you're running the generator to charge the battery when there's been a lack of PV, you need to let your system go through an absorb cycle (until batteries' specific gravities are in the 1.265 range) before shutting down the generator. Without having a Mate (and better yet, a Mate and a FlexnetDC) in this system, programming the charge parameters into the VFXR so that this process is easy to set up and monitor presents a problem. You can watch the voltages on the charge controllers but you won't be able to see how many charging amps the inverter is supplying from the generator, or set the absorb time other than the default setting in the VFXR, which may or may not be best for this system's battery.

Maybe another user without a Mate has an idea...
http://www.tigoenergy.com/site.php?95b2dca2-ca6c
https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public/systems/Hctc107221
Mike Curran
Forum Emperor

My RE system:

Postby Sasxha189 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:23 am

This was a great response. Thank k you
Sasxha189
Forum Member

My RE system:

Postby SandyP on Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:01 pm

Given there has already been a lot of money invested in this I suggest, at a minimum, you get a Mate2 ($220-250 online) so you can set up the system properly and see what the inverter/charger is doing.
Once you stop battery charging the voltage will drop as the inverter will have a 25W load on the batteries.
The only way you currently have to see how your batteries are being charged (and their SoC) is to take SG readings.
SandyP
Forum Guru

My RE system:

Postby Sasxha189 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:06 pm

Ifn you'd could front me the cash...
Sasxha189
Forum Member

My RE system:

Postby Sasxha189 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:09 pm

I spoke with an outback rep who basically said you can't know when. They're fully charged w/o mate and that there is a slim chance that if the inverter messes up it could damage the batteries/inverter but the inverter is built to protect itself
Sasxha189
Forum Member

My RE system:

Postby SandyP on Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:20 pm

SandyP
Forum Guru

My RE system:

Postby Sasxha189 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:32 pm

I'm aware, also the person who commented before you also made that clear. Thankss for your concern
Sasxha189
Forum Member

My RE system:

Postby raysun on Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:38 pm

I'm going to pile on here. Please don't be offended.

Having invested as much as has been in the system, and with the expectation, I'd assume, that it will deliver a high level of power and reliability, it is only sensible to make the final investment in the system components designed expressly to monitor and control the system effectively.

Driving this system without a Mate3s and FNDC is a bit like driving a Ferrari without a steering wheel.

Don't turn the ignition key without one.
raysun
Forum Czar

My RE system:

Return to OutBack Energy Cell Batteries