voltage of a fully charged lead acid battery

Discussion about the OutBack Energy Cell Batteries

voltage of a fully charged lead acid battery

Postby davilara on Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:32 am

I just bought a multi-meter to check my lead acid batteries and wonder if by opening the DC breaker to the Inverter I can make valid battery voltage readings without disconnecting the batteries from each other?

I regularly check specific gravity, by the same token I wonder if I can make valid SG readings without disconnecting the batteries from each other?
davilara
Forum Whiz

My RE system: 1 ea 8K Power Radian Inverter 240V
2 ea FM80 Charge Controllers
1 ea FlexnetDC
16 ea Rolls S550 Batteries

Re: voltage of a fully charged lead acid battery

Postby JRHill on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:02 am

As long as your SGs show the batteries are achieving a sufficient recharge and the dispersion of the readings is close, the voltage readings won't tell you much. But having the meter around will certainly be useful for other stuff.
JRHill
Forum Guru

My RE system: -House: FM 80, VFX 3648, FlexnetDC, FlexWare xformer, Mate 3 / Hub, WattPlot/, 2925w SunTech 195, Trojan L16RE-B Batteries. Backup 1: Honda EU7000is w/2 wire auto start via FM80 aux, backup 2: 11kw Miller Bobcat;
-Well: Grundfos 11-SQF-2 pump, controller & AC switch (CU200, IO101), Tristar 45 Controller, 780w SunTech 195, Trojan golf cart batteries.
-All running since July '11 with various upgrades and workarounds.

Postby mikedowdell on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:33 am

Opening the DC breaker will open the circuit so yes it will effectively disconnect the in series batteries from each other as there is no return path. Those batteries in parallel however will still have an effect on each other. You also want to wait for the batteries to settle after a charge, and without a load before making your voltage measurements, which can take hours. In general, 2.11 volts per cell is considered fully charged (aka 12.7 for 6 cells) however different batteries will have different readings and the voltage does not offer a complete picture by any means.
mikedowdell
Forum Whiz

My RE system: Outback FXR2524A-01, FlexMax FM80, Mate3s, Power Hub 4
6x Solar World 250w panels on a 2 axis solar tracker
2x 12v 100ah Flooded deep cells
Hybrid Off Grid with AC as backup

Postby davilara on Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:34 pm

Thank you both for your prompt reply.

I was looking also for where to measure the voltage as by looking at the template supplied by the battery manufacturer it seem like it shall be verified at the cells. The following YouTube video shows how it is done, so checking at the cells level is not unusual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8qgZoovWHI

I enclosed as an attachment the prior measurements.

I have two battery banks each with eight (6V) batteries in series as shown in the attached image. I believe if the DC breaker is off then they are not in parallel. Any comments?

Any additional comments regarding the procedure as well as the interpretation will be welcomed.
Attachments
MA9 Solar System.jpg
Rolls-S550 Inspección Baterias 7.17.2018jpg_Page1.jpg
Last edited by davilara on Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davilara
Forum Whiz

1 ea FlexnetDC

Postby Mike Curran on Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:57 pm

davilara wrote:I was looking also for where to measure the voltage as by looking at the template supplied by the battery manufacturer it seem like it shall be verified at the cells. The following YouTube video shows how it is done, so checking at the cells level is not unusual.
I watched the YouTube video and I would be extremely leery of sticking metal probes down into each cell to get per-cell voltages. You can much more safely determine whether one or more cells is low by taking a reading across the entire 6 volt battery, after all if one cell is bad, you're going to replace the entire battery anyway. I don't see the advantage of taking per-cell readings unless you're a battery researcher or somesuch.
davilara wrote:I have two battery banks each with eight (6V) batteries in series as shown in the attached image. I believe if the DC breaker is off then they are not in parallel. Any comments?
Not necessarily. If your battery banks' positive terminals are tied together before the DC breaker, they will still be connected in parallel even with the breaker open. See attached sketch.
1540252567444-2145971469.jpg
http://www.tigoenergy.com/site.php?95b2dca2-ca6c
Mike Curran
Forum Czar

My RE system: Outback:
- 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one MX60
- 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80
- 2 grid-tied GVFX3524's classic stacked for 120/240VAC
- 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah
- Hub10.3, Mate3, FNDC, RTS, OpticsRE. Tigo Energy ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar:
- 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters, grid-tied.

Postby davilara on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:44 pm

The recommendation to taking a reading across the entire 6 volt battery makes sense to me as the batteries will be tested while not being charged.

- If your battery banks' positive terminals are tied together before the DC breaker, they will still be connected in parallel even with the breaker open.

I understand the statement. It is exactly as suggested Outback wiring diagrams as follow. As you can see there are two DC Breakers but also looks like they are connected at the shunts.

Maybe disconnecting the poles at the ends of each battery bank will be good enough but if not necessary that would make it easier. This would be good to know.

The requirement to remove surface charge is something new to me, your comments will be welcomed.

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/article ... ics.html#6
Attachments
gs_8048a_4048a_quick_start_page3jpg_Page5jpg_Page5.jpg
gs_8048a_4048a_quick_start_page3jpg_Page3.jpg
davilara
Forum Whiz

1 ea FlexnetDC

Postby Mike Curran on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:52 am

If you're determined to take voltage readings, then all you need do is disconnect one positive lead from one of your two battery banks [along with opening the 2 (?) DC breakers]. All other connections can be left as is.

However, as JRHill says, specific gravity is the best way to judge the condition of your battery, NOT voltages. If you take SG's you need not be concerned about surface charge, whatever that is :smile: . Edit: I admit I have taken voltage readings but in conjunction with SG readings. I do not take them with the battery at rest OR disconnected from load, as I believe SG's will be essentially the same regardless.
http://www.tigoenergy.com/site.php?95b2dca2-ca6c
Mike Curran
Forum Czar

My RE system: Outback:
- 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one MX60
- 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80
- 2 grid-tied GVFX3524's classic stacked for 120/240VAC
- 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah
- Hub10.3, Mate3, FNDC, RTS, OpticsRE. Tigo Energy ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar:
- 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters, grid-tied.

Postby davilara on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:59 am

I do not take them with the battery at rest OR disconnected from load - love it. I use a refractometer to read SG, only one drop per cell is enough and works fine for me, easy and convenient.

As we joke at home - very much better!

Will take all your recommendations.

\:D/

Thanks.
davilara
Forum Whiz

1 ea FlexnetDC

Return to OutBack Energy Cell Batteries