Float Charge Mismatch

Discussion about the OutBack Energy Cell Batteries

Float Charge Mismatch

Postby vander on Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:05 pm

I have 3 EnergyCell 106NC batteries hooked up in parallel in my system. According to the specs for the batteries:

Float Charging Voltage: 13.62VDC unit average at 25°C (77°F)
Equalization and Cycle Service Charging Limits: 14.4VDC unit average at 25°C (77°F)

In my system, I have two ways of charging: 1) Tristar 30A MPPT and 2) Promariner DC to DC battery charger. Neither of these exactly match the battery spec.

Morningstar MPPT:
Absoption: 14.4V
Float: 13.7V

Promariner Battery to Battery Charger (from car alternator/battery):
Absorption: 14.4V
Float: 13.3V

Is that okay that they're off a little bit?
Is it okay that I have both connected at the same time or should I only use the DC/DC charger when absolutely necessary and leave it disconnected otherwise?

Thanks in advance!
vander

Re: Float Charge Mismatch

Postby jguzman on Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:22 am

According to the manual (page 21, table 5) the float range is between 13.5-13.9V. And they may be temperature compensated up to 2.2V (5mV per cell above 25c) So if you are operating the batteries above room temperature it's shouldn't be problematic floating a couple tenth's below the recommendation range. You might want to check with each manufactures too see if they can operate together in relation to current/voltage/Time regulation.
Attachments
FLT setpoints.PNG
Jorge Guzman
Technical Support Supervisor

Watch easy to follow video tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/c/wattschool
jguzman
Applications Engineering

My RE system: GVFX3524, FM80, MATE3. 3x 260W REC. 4x Trojan L16 FLA 370Ah.

Re: Float Charge Mismatch

Postby vander on Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:53 pm

Hey Jguzman, thanks for the response. Glad to hear it should be okay. I'll definitely reach out to the manufacturers and see if we can tweak the level at all so they play together a little bit better.
vander

Return to OutBack Energy Cell Batteries