Maintenance of AGM no-maintenance battery

Discussion about the OutBack Energy Cell Batteries

Maintenance of AGM no-maintenance battery

Postby hrvojebre on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:30 am

However the title might be strange, please be kind to explain my case:
My batt is not an OutBack product, but the moderator approved my application.
Have a "Sole" AGM battery that went dead after 4 years of service. No particular stresses during its life. One of the cells is dead and a sudden drop is read after applying larger load. It worked in a 4 pcs. battery bank (to provide 12 and 48 volts). Anyway, it seemed to be really dry after I measured voltage on each of the cells. After adding dist. water in the dead cell, it went from 0,13 V to 1,96 in about 40 minutes. I then poured 1 liter of dist. water in all the cells (equal qty.) and let it be for a day. Today, not a single drop would come out of the battery after I turned it upside-down. The matte sucked-up all of the water ? Does that mean it would be wise to fill the 3 other (good) batteries with some quantity to avoid their respective eventual defects ? Could lack of liquid be the cause of damage ? Thank you out there ! #-o
hrvojebre

My RE system: 12 panels 240W - 4 batt. 240 Ah - Morningstar TriStar MPPT - 1 Shenzen inverter/charger 12V(1,5kW) - 1 Shenzen inverter/charger 48V(3kW)

Re: Maintenance of AGM no-maintenance battery

Postby EMCF on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:01 pm

Confused here. An AGM battery does not have refillable caps on it. How did you manage to pour distilled water? Drilled some holes?
EMCF
OutBack Whiz

My RE system: FX3048, 4 200a batteries, FM60. 3 kw array

Re: Maintenance of AGM no-maintenance battery

Postby hrvojebre on Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:06 am

EMCF wrote:Confused here. An AGM battery does not have refillable caps on it. How did you manage to pour distilled water? Drilled some holes?

It has 3 plastic plates approx. 3*12 cm on the top. Underneath each one finds 2 resin-like caps closing holes dia. 12mm approx. These are slightly concave before opening (pressurized inwards). I measured the V through these. The concave form restores after closing the holes after some 20 min. My question remains.
hrvojebre

My RE system: 12 panels 240W - 4 batt. 240 Ah - Morningstar TriStar MPPT - 1 Shenzen inverter/charger 12V(1,5kW) - 1 Shenzen inverter/charger 48V(3kW)

Return to OutBack Energy Cell Batteries