Change out FlexPower One inverter from 24V to 48V

A place where users can meetup with other FlexPower One users and can find support for one another. A great place for people who have not purchased the FlexPower One yet to look up information.

Change out FlexPower One inverter from 24V to 48V

Postby solar17 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:57 am

We have a FlexPower One with the 24V VFX3524 inverter - we're considering upgrading to a 48V system and I'm wondering how difficult/feasible it is to swap out just the inverter on the FlexPower to the 48V inverter? Thank you!
solar17

My RE system: FlexPower One (w/ VFX3524 and FM80)
1600W solar
24V battery bank, 600Ah

Re: Change out FlexPower One inverter from 24V to 48V

Postby jguzman on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:35 am

It can be done, but you're up for quite the project so be ready to roll up your sleeves. The charge controller may be reprogrammed for 48V.
Jorge Guzman
Technical Support Supervisor

Watch easy to follow video tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/c/wattschool
jguzman
Applications Engineering

My RE system: GVFX3524, FM80, MATE3. 3x 260W REC. 4x Trojan L16 FLA 370Ah.

Postby blackswan555 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:45 am

It can be done, but you're up for quite the project so be ready to roll up your sleeves. The charge controller may be reprogrammed for 48V.
Please explain ? Other than a little programing, nothing else really needs looking at ? yes breakers are oversized, but so are conductors ?

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby jguzman on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:11 pm

The controller will need to be reset back to factory defaults so you can re-select the operating battery voltage.
Turn off the PV breaker followed by the battery output breaker. This will shut down the controller completely. Press and hold buttons 1 & 3 while still off. Turn back on the battery output breaker. This will power up the unit. Go through the prompt screens to select the proper voltage. Once in the home screen you may adjust any other charging voltage. The inverter will also need to be reprogrammed for the proper charging targets.

The 48V model has the same pass through current of 60A, so AC breakers are fine. As long as the conductors are not downsized it should be fine since the system will be working at a higher DC voltage lower current.
Jorge Guzman
Technical Support Supervisor

Watch easy to follow video tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/c/wattschool
jguzman
Applications Engineering

My RE system: GVFX3524, FM80, MATE3. 3x 260W REC. 4x Trojan L16 FLA 370Ah.

Return to Flex Power One