Supplying 2 buildings from stacked 8048As

A place where users can meetup with other FlexPower One users and can find support for one another. A great place for people who have not purchased the FlexPower One yet to look up information.

Supplying 2 buildings from stacked 8048As

Postby bear_essentials on Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:34 pm

I have 2 identical systems each comprised of FP8048A with 7340W PV and 1000AH battery bank. I haven't set them up yet. In fact, I'm still waiting for all the shipments to arrive.

Anyway, these are destined for a pair of buildings very close to one another (one office and one dormitory). For logistical and other reasons, I must locate the panels, batteries and 8048As combined at one location, between the two buildings (ground mount with a battery shed). So, naturally, I thought of stacking the two power centers together to create a 16KW/2000AH/14.6PV system that could feed either building as required. This seems to make sense since the power consumption of the two buildings dovetails nicely during a typical day and having both battery banks available to supply "extreme" use by one or the other building should mean that the batteries are cycled less deeply; resulting in longer life. Also, by supplying 16KW to the dormitory building, I could potentially run the AC unit during a prolonged outage; which would greatly benefit the elderly folks here in S. Texas.

However, each building has its own meter, so I'm trying to understand whether this is even legal and/or doable. I'd also like to understand what the wiring would look like and what the power consumption would look like.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.
bear_essentials

My RE system: Flexpower Radian 8048A, 1000AH battery bank, CSUN 305W x 24, Midnite Solar combiner

Re: Supplying 2 buildings from stacked 8048As

Postby sodamo on Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:11 pm

So are these currently grid fed to each meter?

No grid tied experience here, but my thoughts.
If not grid tied then I don't see a problem feeding each meter, but if grid tied can you connect just 1 grid feed to the outback and then let Outback supply both buildings? I'm off grid, but my Outback goes to a common distribution panel that further feeds 5 sub panels in separate structures.
sodamo
OutBack Guru

My RE system: Totally off grid
36 Trina 280 & 16 Phono 250 in 48 volt array (fixed) 14080w
4 FX3048T
RTS
4 FM 80 charge controllers
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3
OpticsRE - Piha Kahuku
18 Aquion Aspen 48S (39.6kw)
24Kw Yangdong Genset (Affordable Generators - Poor support)
10Kw MEP 803a
2Kw Honda 2000i

Davis VantagePro2 Wx Station
On line at: http://www.weatherlink.com/user/sodamo/

Return to Flex Power One