Flex net DC i

A place where users can meetup with other FlexPower One users and can find support for one another. A great place for people who have not purchased the FlexPower One yet to look up information.

Flex net DC i

Postby LAMB on Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:17 am

My Flex net DC is either showing three Amber and one green light while the battery is being charged, and then a blinking green when the batteries are fully charges, no percentage graduation, any ideas.? It has been that way since the unit was installed about three years ago.
LAMB
Forum Member

My RE system: (1) VFX3024E. (2) Flexmax 80 controllers. (16) Trojan T 145 batteries. (12) 180 watt solar panels.
VFX3024E, Flexmax 80, hub and Mate mounted on a Flex Power one.

Re: Flex net DC i

Postby larrywa on Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:55 pm

LAMB wrote:My Flex net DC is either showing three Amber and one green light while the battery is being charged, and then a blinking green when the batteries are fully charges, no percentage graduation, any ideas.? It has been that way since the unit was installed about three years ago.

In addition to ND's comments above, I have noticed that you are listing an off-grid system so your SOC indicated should change from times of the day, especially at night time with no charging going on.

If this is not the case your charge factor could be set too high, your full charge reset parameters could be set too low, or you just have never looked at the lights when your SOC is down, ie. during the morning when your batteries should be at their lowest charge.

It is also possible that your FN-DC was wired incorrectly and not adding correctly to show battery charge/discharge currents properly.

Start with the specific reading from your Mate3 and verify each current with your CC unit screens. Compare your shunt reading on the FN-DC with the current shown for your inverters and insure they agree also except negative on the FN-DC shunt that feeds them. Usually shunt A.
larrywa
Forum Guru

My RE system: FlexPower Two
2 x GVFX3648s,
2 x FM80s,
FNDC w/3 shunts,
Mate3 v3.015.005 (works excellent!)
Hub 10.3,
PV:1000W east@45, 600W west@45, 2400W south@19 deg.
Battery:48v @ 130Ahr Crown batteries, deep cycle <$380 for 6.25kWh

ISY994i HA, Insteon, X10, Philips Hue, MiLight bulbs & RGBW strips
WebControl 8 as weather station stuffing
ISY994 variables via REST interface

Raspberry Pi3 x 2, Pi1 B+

Postby LAMB on Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:13 pm

Thanks guys, Larry are you saying that the LEDs should change up gradually with the state of charge until full charge is met and then the green top led starts to blink, because that is how I assume it should operate. In my case, all the LEDs are on while the batteries are being charged, and once the preset charge parameters are met, the top green LED blinks, and the other LEDs are off. It is no big deal, it's just that I like to have things working properly. Any further comments will be appreciated.
LAMB
Forum Member

My RE system: (1) VFX3024E. (2) Flexmax 80 controllers. (16) Trojan T 145 batteries. (12) 180 watt solar panels.

Postby larrywa on Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:02 am

I am saying that your settings may need to be fine tuned to make these LEDs perform correctly and ND's post above is 100% correct.

I never look at these LEDs and had to read the manual to verify what ND posted as correct. I suggest you do the same if you want to use them.

Find a the manuals for all the equipment components you have on the OB website, download them into a folder for keeping and then read them through.
larrywa
Forum Guru

My RE system: FlexPower Two
2 x GVFX3648s,
2 x FM80s,
FNDC w/3 shunts,
Mate3 v3.015.005 (works excellent!)
Hub 10.3,
PV:1000W east@45, 600W west@45, 2400W south@19 deg.
Battery:48v @ 130Ahr Crown batteries, deep cycle <$380 for 6.25kWh

ISY994i HA, Insteon, X10, Philips Hue, MiLight bulbs & RGBW strips
WebControl 8 as weather station stuffing
ISY994 variables via REST interface

Raspberry Pi3 x 2, Pi1 B+

Postby Sandra Herrera on Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:36 pm

Hi,
I would suggest to verify your settings, here is a document that might help

http://legacy.outbackpower.com/pdf/tech ... rating.pdf
Sandra Herrera
Applications Engineering

OutBack Power Technologies
Sandra Herrera
OutBack Management

Postby LAMB on Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:51 pm

O.K, I am in the process of reprogramming the unit, will post my findings when finished.
Thanks to you all for your valuable contributions.
LAMB
Forum Member

Postby LAMB on Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:44 am

O.K. have checked and reset all my parameters. Getting the green light to come on blinking with a full charge is not the problem, the problem I am having is getting the amber lights to come on as a percentage of the battery condition. The lights are always on (except for the bottom red one) or off when the batteries are "fully" charged with the green one blinking. The green light blinking can be determined by the parameters set up with either amps returned or battery voltage and time. What determines the lights being lit based on a percentage of the battery condition like 60% 80% etc.
Any ideas?
LAMB
Forum Member

Postby Kurt Lundquist on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:07 am

What determines the lights being lit based on a percentage of the battery condition like 60% 80% etc.

The lights are driven by the SOC based on the amp in/out count vs battery capacity. Per the manual, the amps in are discounted by the charge factor percentage. See pages 4 and 15 of the FN-DC manual for more details on the SOC vs Ligths. http://www.outbackpower.com/downloads/documents/flexnet_dc/user_guide.pdf

Since you have a flooded battery bank I suggest you use a hydrometer or refractometer to verify the battery SOC via the specific gravity (SG) readings. If you use a hydrometer make sure to temperature compensate the SG measurements. It is best if you can let the battery bank rest a bit before taking the readings. If you find a large difference in SG between all your batteries it is time to perform an equalize charge. Trojan should have instructions on how to Equalize the battery bank.

If your external readings show a low SOC but the FN-DC says the charge parameters are met you should decrease your return amps and increase the parameters met time to 5 minutes. Alternatively you may need to just increase the voltage that you charge the battery bank at. Remember to increase the Absorb volts setting on the FN-DC if you change the Absorb voltage target.

What voltage do you Absorb at? How long? How often do you need to add water to the battery bank?

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Systems Engineer
http://www.alpha.com/solar
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering

My RE system: VFX3524, Mate3, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Postby LAMB on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:24 am

I absorb at 29.6 volts for 2 hours. I need to top some batteries every week. Bear in mind this is an active system that powers the entire house 24/7. Gets a full charge every day.
LAMB
Forum Member

Return to Flex Power One