Well pump size

A place where users can meetup with other FlexPower One users and can find support for one another. A great place for people who have not purchased the FlexPower One yet to look up information.

Well pump size

Postby Janpoker on Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:59 am

What is the maximum size HP well pump that my GVFX3048 will be able to handle
Janpoker

My RE system: FLEXPOWER GVFX3048, 8X155Ah US XC2, 12X235W MULTI

Re: Well pump size

Postby Kent Osterberg on Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:01 am

That depends on the pump, the other loads, and your tolerance for occasional system shutdowns due to ac overload. With a conventional pump motor, the 3048 will reliably start and run a 3/4-hp well pump as long as the other loads are small. It'll probably work with a 1-hp pump too. But, even with-a 3/4-hp, if you have a big load on the inverter when the pump starts, you may find that the system shuts down. For a pump with a low-surge start up, the 3048 should handle 1.5 or 2 hp. With that size you will need 240 volts anyway, so a second inverter is probably in order.
Kent Osterberg
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: SMA Sunny Boy 2500 with eight Mobil Solar Ra 180 modules

Re: Well pump size

Postby blackswan555 on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:39 pm

And the bigger question, Why do you need a pump that big ? Plumbers have a nasty habit of over-sizing " to cover their back" in practice it is rare to "need" what they install, I would suggest a look at " VFD"s ( or pumps with them built in) Variable frequency drive, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable-frequency_drive

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Return to Flex Power One