Flex Power 1 Db level and heat

A place where users can meetup with other FlexPower One users and can find support for one another. A great place for people who have not purchased the FlexPower One yet to look up information.

Flex Power 1 Db level and heat

Postby vols34 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:12 pm

I plan on mounting my FP1 unit in a sleeping loft of a tiny house, 36x8. Does anyone know the noise level and heat that the inverter will throw off when it is being used. Also, is this something that should be mounted in the house? Starting to think that it may be too much noise.
vols34
Forum Junior Member

My RE system: Flex Power 1 with lithium batteries and 9 solar panels

Re: Flex Power 1 Db level and heat

Postby raysun on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:24 pm

The primary noise is from the cooling fans during charging, though heavy loads may also cause the inverter fan to activate. Heat shedding during most other times is modest.

The FP1 panel is best placed nearest the battery to minimize losses from the high current circuit.

If the mounting location is being chosen in the house so you can monitor easily via the Mate, then know it can easily be detached from the panel and its connection extended with a "straight-through" Cat-5 ethernet cable.
raysun
Forum Czar

My RE system: Flexpower One: FX3048T, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Outback 200NC batteries (8 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 6 Strings @ 2 Series)
Hyundai 355 watt panels (6 - 3 strings @ 2 series)

Re: Flex Power 1 Db level and heat

Postby Surfpath on Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:33 am

I have 6years on my Fp1.
My controller fan provides most of the noise (non scientific sound level = small hand held vacuum cleaner?). It kicks in around 10am at the peak of absorb and runs periodically (for 5 minutes every 20 minutes) till float at 12:30pm. If I run my washing machine (or some other largish AC load) the VFX inverter fan will kick on a little (same Db level as the controller fan). I dont think heat will be an issue unless your tiny house is already located in a hot climate with no cooling. If you can mount the FP1 to the outside of the house with the mate inside as vols suggests you will hear the fans less, but will your unit be secure and safe from prying fingers who may want to play with the FM80's controls, or mess with the electrical connections?

Suggestion: I'd try to keep it inside but perhaps in the loft (heat rises anyway, also it'll be near the PV) in a 'closet' vented to the outside?? You'll typically be downstairs during the day when the fans would want to come on. Then I'd run my mate, using CAT5 cable, downstairs for convenient spot checking. Just a few ideas.
Surfpath
Forum Expert

My RE system: Outback Flexpower-1-6 system (VFX3048e, FM80, 48v, 50hz, 240v), 2,750w of PV (4 series of 3 panels/ea, 100v max-combiner to controller), 370amp/hr L16REB battery bank. Honda 2k briefcase generator. 100% offgrid.

Return to Flex Power One