Settings to increase charging Amps by generator

A place where users can meetup with other FlexPower One users and can find support for one another. A great place for people who have not purchased the FlexPower One yet to look up information.

Settings to increase charging Amps by generator

Postby Benjammin on Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:21 am

Hi All,

One--FP2 VFXR3648A 7.2KW
Includes Two FM80 FlexMax Charge Controllers
Includes Mate 3S
Twenty Four--2V Rolls Surrette Batteries S-1860--1510 Amps at C-20
Fifteen Solarworld 295 W panels
One Generator--Honda EU 7000is--5 kW continuous

Recently the batteries reached 50 percent State of Charge (SOC) during a more cloudy period. The solar was inadequate to rebuild the batteries to full charge, so we tried to use the generator to charge the battery bank. Charging amps was limited to 10-20 amps or less than 1 kW.

Automatic Generator Start is not set up because the generator does not has a control package for that. It is wired to the AC input of the Flex Power Two

What settings do I use to increase the charging amps to 50 amps or greater when the battery SOC is low?

Thanks
Benjammin
Forum Junior Member

My RE system:

Re: Settings to increase charging Amps by generator

Postby petertearai on Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:03 am

increase charger AC input amps on the mate.
2220 pv. fm80. 12 times 2 volt exc shoto lead carbon 450 AH 24 volts. victron battery monitor. outback fxr 2000 watt inverter
petertearai
Forum Guru

My RE system:

Postby jbakker on Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:45 am

Your setup can do 45 AMPS DC per inverter. The default setting in my Mate3 is 18 AMPS AC Input each inverter. Max is 20 amps.
I suggest that if you don't have a copy of Mate3S manual that you download it and read. It will tell you where in the Mate3s screens to do this. I know how if I am standing in front. I can tell you how if you have a OPTICS RE site setup.
Since you have a 5 KW generator I would not set her to max charge settings as your going to load that generator down to its knees.
Good idea to leave room for any loads as well so that if a big load does come on when charging you do bog the generator down as well. The inverters should scale the charge rate back if this happens but i still like to leave some head room.

The above info is just my 2 cents worth.
jbakker
Forum Guru

My RE system:

Postby JRHill on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:07 am

JRHill
Forum Czar

My RE system:

Postby jbakker on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:32 am

What JRHill said is very true and all good advice:)

I am very tuned into my system.
Course i have a 15 KW generator and cant bring it to its knees.
jbakker
Forum Guru

My RE system:

Postby JRHill on Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:32 pm

JRHill
Forum Czar

My RE system:

Postby blackswan555 on Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:53 pm

My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
Forum Emperor

My RE system:

Postby blackswan555 on Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:57 pm

A little item that NO battery monitor takes into consideration,,,, Well a very big item if your want try to count amps in and out ,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peukert%27s_law

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
Forum Emperor

My RE system:

Postby JRHill on Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:06 pm

Ah darn. Now my conscience is bothering me. Time to recalibrate the the FNDC.
----
10 minutes later I check it: 1.230 (first reading) is at 92% SOC. So I've been under charging for a while. No surprise, I was expecting it and frankly I expected a greater drift. I last recalibrated early this spring at full SOC per the SG. It happens and it is expected.
JRHill
Forum Czar

My RE system:

Postby jbakker on Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:08 pm

In regards to the Generator comment.

My unit is NG gas powered, and its pretty cheap at the moment. I know for a fact my unit is thirsty. It draws the same fuel amount at 50 percent load as at 100 percent load. I can only load to about 5.5 kw incoming AC. I do have a plan for the winter when i run the Onan a lot more.
I am getting a 6 KW electric heater installed into my duct work for the furnace. When the generator kicks on after a 5 min delay I will have the furnace blower kick on and the electric heater come on as well. This will make things a little more efficient as I will be loading the generator up more.

In thinking back i should have bought the 7.5 KW baby brother the JB instead of the JC that I have. But the JC came up for sale and needed another unit to replace the Generac.

In regards to the FNDC i have one installed but cant use it as I need a 10 port hub and only have a 4 port. If any body has one for a cheap price let me know.
I would love to see how it deals with the Chevy Volt Battery that I am using. No offence Outback but the price of a new 10 port HUB is a bit much at this time.
jbakker
Forum Guru

My RE system:

Postby JRHill on Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:56 pm

JRHill
Forum Czar

My RE system:

Postby Benjammin on Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:01 pm

Benjammin
Forum Junior Member