AXS Port programming, coming soon!

AXS Port programming, coming soon!

Postby intellact on Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:48 pm

Hi All:

As you may know, the WattPlot suite has been able to seamlessly monitor systems with an AXS Port ever since version 5.1. Now I'm adding AXS Port programming to WattPlot Monitor. When completed, the level of control over your system, both through automatic reactions to system conditions and user-friendly interfaces, should be unprecedented.

I have an operational question about altering things like Absorb Time...

There is a register entry (12) in each Inverter Config block for Absorb Time. There is also one in each Charge Controller block (also 12).

:?: If I want to change the Absorb Time, do I have to change the register value for each inverter/charge controller, or just the Master Inverter's value?

:?: What if my system only has three charge controllers - just change the first one?

I could experiment, but I'm thinking I'll get a better answer on the forum... :wink:

Thanks in advance.

Andrew
Andrew Welch, creator of WattPlot
intellact
OutBack Czar

Re: AXS Port programming, coming soon!

Postby intellact on Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:11 am

It turns out that the ever-helpful OutBack support gave me the answer I needed:

OutBack Support wrote:"You will need to make sure and put the same values on each controller/inverter on both systems. This ensures that each controller/inverter will produce the same information."

An upcoming release of WattPlot will incorporate this functionality automatically. :smile:

Meanwhile, the first batch of AXS Port command support is included in the latest WattPlot Monitor (version 5.1.2.2). That means that you can now reprogram your system settings manually from your PC, or even automatically, in response to one or more system conditions. \:D/

We are recommending that OutBack system owners seriously consider looking into the OutBack AXS Port device. The amount of control available, the conditions that you can test for, the actions that you can trigger from WattPlot Monitor PRO, and the overall reliability now exceed anything that is currently available for your system, including the MATE3, HBX, AGS, OpticsRE, or any off-the-shelf Modbus product, and that list of WattPlot functionality is only going to get better.

Furthermore, if you simply want to gather data, your PC doesn't even have to be running. WattPlot can read and summarize the performance data logged on the AXS Port's SD card with a single mouse click, turning a huge spreadsheet of raw data into instantly powerful information that you can visualize graphically or in tabular summaries. :grin:
intellact
OutBack Czar

Postby shelton on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:35 am

Hi Andrew - I just got the AXS port installed at my house to test out before installing one on a customer. I am an installer but with experience with OpticsRE, Mate3 and original Mate. Not sure where to start to set up the AXS port but I really want to try out your product! What's the latest update on the AXS port programming via WattPlot? Do you have a tutorial for setting up the AXS port to use WattPlot?
thanks in advance!

david shelton
co-founder AEintegrated
shelton

My RE system: Outback Power FX3048T
Midnite Solar The Kid
3 x Topoint 190W 72Cell
4 Ritar 100Ah
Outback Power AXS port
Outback Power Mate3
Grid tied using HBX currently

Postby intellact on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:01 pm

shelton wrote:Hi Andrew - I just got the AXS port installed at my house to test out before installing one on a customer. I am an installer but with experience with OpticsRE, Mate3 and original Mate. Not sure where to start to set up the AXS port but I really want to try out your product! What's the latest update on the AXS port programming via WattPlot? Do you have a tutorial for setting up the AXS port to use WattPlot?

Hi David:

Yep, I am long overdue for following up in this forum. Thanks for the nudge! :smile: Here's where things are at...

The good news is that Modbus has been implemented in the existing WattPlot suite of tools, and has been out there for a number of months. I finally updated the WattPlot Monitor and WattPlot VisualMATE User Guides to reflect this work. (Click on the preceding links to download the PDFs.)

The bad news is that (as had been noted in other threads on this forum) I have had no luck in keeping the MATE3 Modbus running consistently, and the problem seems to be very clearly related to problems in the other MATE3 communication protocols. :sad: So I have turned my focus to the AXS Port device for now.

So, the specific news you need to know now is that the latest version of WattPlot Monitor (5.1.3.1) should (1) monitor your AXS Port data stream, (2) allow you to do some basic programming of your system settings, and (3) do full analysis of the log files on your AXS Port SD Card, turning a lot of raw data into a wealth of information. \:D/ Activate a fully functional trial copy and try it out!

The really exciting news is that I am just beginning very early trials of a completely new generation WattPlot tool, called WattPlot ACKcess. \:D/ This tool is completely Modbus-based, and will give users unprecedented power over their system settings, phenomenal information options, and a lot more. The tool is still in the very early stages of alpha field tests, but interested AXS Port owners can get more information here, and even join up to try it out at their own site.
intellact
OutBack Czar

Postby pjrpd on Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:57 pm

Re the WattPlot ACKcess tool. Can you confirm that the tool will down load stored data from the AXS Port SD card after re-connection, in the case of an unstable internet connection. If this happens, will the data download be automatic or manual.
My off grid system is relatively difficult to access, and our local internet backbone is being nationalised, meaning that people in my situation are suffering from degraded services. I should have intermittent communication, allowing downloading stored data.
pjrpd

My RE system: Remote off grid location monitored with OpticsRE. AXS_Port, inverter VFX3024E, charger Flexmax 80, Batteries 24 volt, 2000 amphr nickle iron batteries. 1800 watt solar panels. AXS_Port talks to wireless repeater over 30m ethernet cable.

Postby intellact on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:14 pm

pjrpd wrote:Can you confirm that the tool will download stored data from the AXS Port SD card after re-connection, in the case of an unstable internet connection.

Good question. Truth be told, I had not yet tried the FTP protocol with my AXS Port since the firmware release I was using (3.11.0) didn't support it.

I have now updated to 003.015.001, which has apparently addressed the FTP issue.

Now to your question...

The wording makes it sound like you want a confirmation that this functionality is now in place. It is not. Indeed, there is lots of functionality that is not in place yet. These are still very early days for this new product concept. :smile: The Alpha field testing announcement is necessary because my tools have to work on a huge variety of system configurations - I can't test them all. So, over the years, dedicated and enthusiastic WattPlot pioneers have grabbed very early copies of new tools and helped me to shape their design and final functionality, as well as putting them through their paces on diverse live systems.

More importantly, I can assure you that WattPlot ACKcess already has extensive programming around the hourly CSV data log file manipulation - something it inherited from WattPlot Monitor, where such functionality has been running for years, turning raw data into phenomenal information views. :smile: Assuming that the latest firmware has fixed the FTP issue, I can also assure you that pulling in those files directly from the AXS Port is on the top of my list. And it will do so automatically. And it will copy them to your local hard drive or delete them from the SD card, or both - whatever you ask it to do - once the data has been extracted and processed. \:D/

Thanks for the nudge!
intellact
OutBack Czar

Postby intellact on Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:27 am

pjrpd wrote:Re the WattPlot ACKcess tool. Can you confirm that the tool will down load stored data from the AXS Port SD card after re-connection, in the case of an unstable internet connection. If this happens, will the data download be automatic or manual.
My off grid system is relatively difficult to access, and our local internet backbone is being nationalised, meaning that people in my situation are suffering from degraded services. I should have intermittent communication, allowing downloading stored data.

I am pleased to report that this functionality has now been confirmed in WattPlot ACKcess, and will be included in the next release! \:D/ (We don't waste a lot of time...) :grin:

The exact behavior is configurable. For example, you can set up the application to automatically keep a copy of all data log files on your local PC, copied at the end of each data hour. When the application starts, it will automatically download any data files since the last time it was running. Once these are copied locally, there will be an option (to be added) to delete the file from the CD Card, freeing up the space. :cool:

If the link fails for any reason, then WattPlot ACKcess will continually attempt to re-establish communications, subject to the specified reconnect options. Once the link is restored, the same update will be done as at program start.

AT LAST! Remote data capture from the SD Card without having to remove it from the device! Thank you, OutBack. =D>
intellact
OutBack Czar

Postby shelton on Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:06 pm

Wow, this sounds exciting. I am away on a trip in a sem remote area. When I get back I'd like to try it out.
Thanks for the detailed responses.cheers
shelton

Midnite Solar The Kid
3 x Topoint 190W 72Cell
4 Ritar 100Ah
Outback Power AXS port
Outback Power Mate3

Postby intellact on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:45 am

Bad news.

I said that WattPlot ACKcess now has the ability to read your AXS Port SD Card logs and automatically download and process the system data. That much is true.

What I failed to notice is that the dates and times of the data are all wrong. :sad:

It appears that the AXS Port's internal clock is set wrong. (On my unit, by 4 years, with an incorrect time.) You might think that it simply has to be corrected. Except that OutBack has removed the ability to set (or even read) the AXS Port clock, making it useless for logging past data.

I have contacted OutBack for more details on this little gem. :roll: I will report back when I know more...
intellact
OutBack Czar

Postby intellact on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:43 am

intellect mistakenly wrote:Except that OutBack has removed the ability to set (or even read) the AXS Port clock, making it useless for logging past data.

Sorry, folks - I have to eat crow on this one. :oops:

They had not removed the ability to set the clock. Instead, the required Modbus fields had been moved by over 100 registers, and I didn't look hard enough. #-o

In fairness, I referred to the AXS Port manual, revised in April 2016, which still listed those fields in their old location - locations that I had confirmed did not hold that information. My confusion continued from there.

Sorry, OutBack. I don't like the fact that you moved the fields and then told us they were still where they aren't, but you did not deserve my comment.

My bad and my apology. :oops:
intellact
OutBack Czar

Postby shelton on Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Hi, what's the latest on this product? Did you manage to resolve the AXS Port clock issue ok?
cheers,
shelton

Midnite Solar The Kid
3 x Topoint 190W 72Cell
4 Ritar 100Ah
Outback Power AXS port
Outback Power Mate3

Postby intellact on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:32 pm

shelton wrote:Hi, what's the latest on this product? Did you manage to resolve the AXS Port clock issue ok?

Thanks for your question! An update is overdue...

WattPlot ACKcess is running extremely well. \:D/ Reports from the field testers are generally positive, and I am really pleased with some of the latest developments, which are about to go out to those same testers. :cool:

Funny you should ask about the AXS Port clock issue... I have been playing more with the MATE3 lately and running into Modbus/internal clock issues with that device. :sad: However, it also seems that if you have your AXS Port Time Zone register set to -5 (for example) and the Time Server is Disabled, then every time you reboot your AXS Port, 5 hours gets subtracted from your clock time. :shock: REALLY?!?

(One caveat here: I am still running AXS Port firmware 003.015.001 - not the latest, so there is a small chance that this issue has been fixed. :-k I somehow doubt it... The MATE3 does not seem to have this particular clock bug. It has other clock bugs... :sad: )

I will be putting more information out on WattPlot ACKcess soon! :smile:
intellact
OutBack Czar

Postby shelton on Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:11 am

Good to hear, I hope the clock issues have been addressed with the firmware upgrades. Please keep us posted!
shelton

Midnite Solar The Kid
3 x Topoint 190W 72Cell
4 Ritar 100Ah
Outback Power AXS port
Outback Power Mate3

Return to AXS Port