Experience ASX Port with Optics RE, Anyone?

Experience ASX Port with Optics RE, Anyone?

Postby pjrpd on Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:18 pm

Does anyone have experience with the ASX Port used with Optics RE from a remote location monitored elsewhere. The ASX Port is advertised as being compatible. I can find no reports of anyone using it in the wild. I love the concept of using the Optics RE cloud server to collect and store data, despite it’s limitations.
I have a Mate3 transmitting data over a 3G/4G connection to OpticsRE. I bought the Mate3 to adjust the FX inverter settings. The whole system is rock solid and reliable in a moderately hostile environment, going back several years now. :grin: However, it took ages to get the Mate3 cloud connection working and the Mate3 connection is flaky at best and cannot provide usable information. I have set the Mate3 to reboot every four hours, this gets the connection working sometimes. Reboot usually fails, or runs for a few hours then the connection cannot be re-established. :sad: As the Mate3/OpticsRE is not suitable for my location, I am reluctant to be the first to try the ASX Port.
So if anyone has experience with the ASX Port with OpticsRE , and it is stable, then I will upgrade!
pjrpd

My RE system: Remote off grid location monitored with OpticsRE. AXS_Port, inverter VFX3024E, charger Flexmax 80, Batteries 24 volt, 2000 amphr nickle iron batteries. 1800 watt solar panels. AXS_Port talks to wireless repeater over 30m ethernet cable.

Re: Experience ASX Port with Optics RE, Anyone?

Postby ColoradoBound on Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:22 pm

I have had an AXS Port on my system for a couple of months now and not had any issue even when my Internet connection was down for a few hours. When it came back up the AXS Port started logging to OpticsRE again just fine.
ColoradoBound

Postby sodamo on Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:32 pm

So, is there any way to have an ASX Port for OpticsRE and keep Mate 3 or can the ASX completely replace the Mate 3?

If I could use the ASX port and have great, reliable OpticsRE connection and then temporarily hook to Mate3 for what's missing in OpticsRE that might be an acceptable trade. Or maybe all the Mate3 functions are directly available? (Meaning without connecting to a windoze laptop)
sodamo
OutBack Guru

My RE system: Totally off grid
36 Trina 280 & 16 Phono 250 in 48 volt array (fixed) 14080w
4 FX3048T
RTS
4 FM 80 charge controllers
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3
OpticsRE - Piha Kahuku
18 Aquion Aspen 48S (39.6kw)
24Kw Yangdong Genset (Affordable Generators - Poor support)
10Kw MEP 803a
2Kw Honda 2000i

Davis VantagePro2 Wx Station
On line at: http://www.weatherlink.com/user/sodamo/

Postby ColoradoBound on Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:23 am

I don't think you can have a Mate3 and an AXP Port connected at the same time. It's one or the other.
ColoradoBound

Postby sodamo on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:41 am

ColoradoBound wrote:I don't think you can have a Mate3 and an AXP Port connected at the same time. It's one or the other.

My understanding as well, hence my question.
sodamo
OutBack Guru

4 FX3048T
RTS
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3
OpticsRE - Piha Kahuku
10Kw MEP 803a
2Kw Honda 2000i

Postby intellact on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:59 pm

sodamo wrote:So, is there any way to have an ASX Port for OpticsRE and keep Mate 3 or can the ASX completely replace the Mate 3?

The MATE3 and the AXS Port both plug into your OutBack HUB and you can only connect one gateway device, so it is one or the other.

To my knowledge, the AXS Port can completely replace the MATE3, in that Advanced Generator Start (AGS) and HBX settings, etc. are all in the AXS Port as well.

sodamo wrote:If I could use the ASX port and have great, reliable OpticsRE connection and then temporarily hook to Mate3 for what's missing in OpticsRE that might be an acceptable trade. Or maybe all the Mate3 functions are directly available? (Meaning without connecting to a windoze laptop)

You don't need to leave a laptop connected to your AXS Port, nor do you want to - I get that. However, unless you already know what all of the AXS Port default settings are for your system, and are happy to keep them, you are going to need some way to setup the AXS device for your particular needs.

OpticsRE may allow you to change some of these settings - frankly I have never tried that. Tools like WattPlot Monitor currently support the same commands for the AXS Port that were offered for the MATE3, in terms of allowing third-party applications to change rudimentary system settings programmatically. :smile:

More importantly, new tools are coming down the pipe (WattPlot ACKcess) that will give unprecedented access to hundreds of system settings, all with easy navigation, full documentation foe each setting, etc. Yes, you can unplug the laptop when the settings are programmed and then monitor using OpticsRE. However, at some point, you will probably want to plug that laptop in again, since WattPlot ACKcess gives you many more views on system information, either in real-time or drilling down into the individual historical seconds of performance on a particular system component, or summarizing system activities, highs and lows, over any period of time. \:D/

I hope this helps your decision.
Andrew Welch, creator of WattPlot
intellact
OutBack Czar

Postby sodamo on Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:28 pm

What I am trying to say...

If I can connect my system to OpticsRE via ASX port and have a consistently reliable, less disconnecting system. I access OpticsRE via currently in hand computer, iPad, or iPhone. I do not want to add an additional 3rd party layer even if superior. That said I can see the advantage to a professional installer.
And
If I need to reset settings not in OpticsRE but are available via Mate 3 or even earlier Mate. Likely most of us have done our setup via a Mate so I don't see periodically using the Mate is this reduced capacity a big deal.

Then I would consider the additional $$$ to go with the ASX port and leave connected except those times the Mate 3 would be required to change settings not available via OpticsRE. Not that I'm anxious to invest another $300 for a benefit I should be getting already. At this point I'm seeking reliability with minimal personal onsite presence.

Would like to see input from OB on this type configuration as I am not really expecting a true fix for Mate 3 internet issues. Like many here, I am disappointed and frustrated. Even the every 4 hour reset doesn't solve the problem. I had my system stay connected for days and other times had to physically reset several times within the hour. I always assume the lost connection is a local issue unless a maintenance notice has been posted, but when I reset repeatedly without success and some time later I'm back on I seriously doubt it was local.

The only other fix I envision would be a Mate 4 or maybe Mate 3Plus, but regardless, I doubt OB would be offering a 1 for 1 swap out without considerable $$.
sodamo
OutBack Guru

4 FX3048T
RTS
FNDC w/3 shunts
Mate 3
OpticsRE - Piha Kahuku
10Kw MEP 803a
2Kw Honda 2000i

Postby intellact on Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:07 pm

sodamo wrote:What I am trying to say...

If I need to reset settings not in OpticsRE but are available via Mate 3 or even earlier Mate. Likely most of us have done our setup via a Mate so I don't see periodically using the Mate is this reduced capacity a big deal.

Ah - it is I that need to do the clarifying... :wink:

You can't program your settings using a MATE3 and then unplug it and use the AXS Port instead. Yes, some of the settings are stored in the OutBack devices, but many of the settings are stored in the AXS Port or MATE3 itself. If you swap them, you lose them. :???:

That's why I was saying that you needed a way to program the settings in the AXS Port itself.

While I wanted to make it known to other readers that a third-party layer is an available option, it won't be the best fit in every case, as you mention. However, I was also talking about using a third-party tool to program your settings, not as an additional layer.

Unless a system owner has an index finger that fits a CAT5 socket and speaks Modbus, you need something to program the AXS Port. :wink:

At least, that's my understanding. :smile: All that being said, there MAY be a way of saving settings to the SD Card in the MATE3, moving the SD Card to the AXS Port, and reloading them automatically. If there is such a function, I am not aware of it.

I hope that makes things clearer.

If I have made any incorrect assertions, folks, please let me know!
Andrew Welch, creator of WattPlot
intellact
OutBack Czar

Postby pjrpd on Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:17 pm

Update on my April question. I bought the AXS Port. It runs, it is stable, and I now have Optics RE as my interface, which I can access from anywhere by laptop or phone.
I retried the Mate3, gave up after it dropped repeatedly, and put the AXS Port back in. I recommend the AXS Port to anyone with persistent comms issues with the Mate3.
pjrpd

My RE system: Remote off grid location monitored with OpticsRE. AXS_Port, inverter VFX3024E, charger Flexmax 80, Batteries 24 volt, 2000 amphr nickle iron batteries. 1800 watt solar panels. AXS_Port talks to wireless repeater over 30m ethernet cable.

Return to AXS Port