can the 8048A handle a conventional well pump?

Dual Input, 120/240, stainless steel form factor design for unsurpassed surge capability

can the 8048A handle a conventional well pump?

Postby Megunticook on Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:20 am

Putting together a grid-tie system with battery backup centered on the 8048A, wondering if it can handle the initial current spike from a conventional well pump. I havent been able to directly measure the power usage, but it runs off a 15A/240V breaker in our main AC panel.

Has anyone run a conventional well pump off their Radian? Can it handle the initial surge?

Eventually we plan to replace the pump, but a Grundfos 3 sqf-2 runs $2K and we're already very tight with the budget, so thinking we might try and get by for a year or so with the conventional pump. My plan is to put a 15A/240V single-throw breaker in the "backup loads" panel along with 4 other 15A circuits for freezer, frig., and some lights.

Thanks for your help.
https://sunnypower.org
Megunticook
Forum Guru

My RE system:

Re: can the 8048A handle a conventional well pump?

Postby Ravenswood on Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:57 pm

I have been running a 1/2 HP submersible pump with no issues. I used a larger than normal pressure tank to reduce the number of startups. The only adverse affect is that the lights sometimes flicker slightly when it kicks in.
I also run a woodworking shop with stationary tools including a 5 HP table saw and it also starts up just fine.
I would worry more about having to support both a freezer and refrigerator with a (presumably) small battery system.
Ravenswood
Forum Junior Member

My RE system:

Re: can the 8048A handle a conventional well pump?

Postby SwDoctor on Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:05 pm

Have been 6years without issues.
Larger than normal pressure tank is suggested, to minimize cycles (like other user said) is a wise idea and have done that also in my setup.
My pump is a "off the shelf" 120v power model. But since the Radian output is 240v it would be actually better to use the 240v version. I just went with the cheaper option, and it works fine.
The main thing to consider is this: Know the wattage of your well pump (mine is 1400w), so taking into account 8000-1400 = 6600 then you should consider that if I am using more than 6600 watts, and then reach over and flip on a faucet or flush a toilet, I could overload the inverter.
This is another key reason I chose the lower wattage pump that would be less likely to cause a surge when activated. (it was cheaper too) - but it is a lesser head depth rating than most- but my well is only 100ft and still delivers almost 40gallons per minute to the surface.
(I use automation system and a SSR based distribution panel to make this scenario sort of impossible- by torquing off some other load such as one of the air conditioners if an overload is likely- this is mostly because I use tools in shop, a grinder or air compressor could tip the canoe without it.)
SwDoctor
Forum Member

My RE system:

Return to RADIAN Series