Off-Grid Home, need to overcome LRA of 141 on 5 ton Air Cond

Dual Input, 120/240, stainless steel form factor design for unsurpassed surge capability

Off-Grid Home, need to overcome LRA of 141 on 5 ton Air Cond

Postby suleman on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Hello Everybody, :smile:

I have an off-grid solar home and I'm limited to the amount of surge amperage I can provide to sufficiently run my air conditioning unit.

I have one Heil Air Conditioning 5 ton unit made by International Comfort products. I want to use 1 Outback Radian inverter (GS8048A), which I have not purchased yet. But I was told I would need use 3 outback Radians to be able to start the compressor motor to overcome the Lock Rotary Amps LRA of 141.

Is there a VSD (Variable Sequence Drive) or a VFD (Variable Frequency Device) to overcome my AC compressor LRA of 141 so I only have to use 1 outback Radian. If yes to this question, which one do you recommend? :grin: :grin: :grin:

The manufacturer of the AC unit is International Comfort Products Corp. (ICP) | airconditioners and furnaces, the brand name is HEIL

The model number
N2A360AKA200

The serial number
E063412266
suleman

My RE system: 12- Canadian Solar Panels CS6k-275m
1 - Outback FM80 Charge Controller
1 - VFXR3684 Outback Power Inverter
8 - Trojan Batteries J200RE-C

Re: Off-Grid Home, need to overcome LRA of 141 on 5 ton Air

Postby blackswan555 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:37 pm

is there a VSD (Variable Sequence Drive) or a VFD (Variable Frequency Device) to overcome my AC compressor LRA of 141 so I only have to use 1 outback Radian. If yes to this question, which one do you recommend? :grin: :grin: :grin:

There will be :grin: Need to know more details on the motor to be driven ph, kw etc, on the plate of the motor or in the manual ?
Also possibly worth trying the manufacturer ? They probably have already done it

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby bezalel on Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:25 pm

The cost of 3 Radians + batteries to supply them is going to be large.

Instead of looking at a separate VSD or VFD for the present 5 ton compressor you should look at replacing the present HVAC unit with a high efficiency one that has the VSD built into it. In off-grid situations is usually cheaper and better to decrease the supported load than add more solar. Have the building tested and modeled to see what the real required AC tonnage is. Improve the insulation and air sealing as indicated by the survey. You may be able to go with a smaller tonnage new unit that will use compressor and fan VSD to start at low amps and only run as hard as it has to. LCR doesn't really apply to this approach. Most systems rarely require the full capacity and if so only for a short time. The top end units have integral humidistats to further improve air quality and comfort and use less power when properly set.

Have set up systems in which a single Radian starts 3-4 ton VSD high efficiency units slowly with plenty of reserve to spare.
Have also had clients refuse to upgrade HVAC and seen 2 ganged Radians max out and shut down trying to start 4 ton single speed systems with 23,000 W start surge. Have also installed smaller solar battery systems that start a generator when the HVAC system calls for AC compressor start using a transfer switch to put power to the single speed compressor when the gen is up and ready.
bezalel
OutBack Virtuoso

Postby Yuba on Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:30 am

Wow 4 and 5 tons off solar?. I think bezalel has the right idea with running it off of a generator.
I'm new so I might be wrong but even if the inverter can do it, what kind of crazy battery bank and field of solar would you need? A proper sized ac should be cycled on a good part of the day. If it was me and I had to run central ac, I would run it off a proper sized gen. Dyed red diesel in a gen running at full load is cheaper then kwh from the power company.
A neighbor of mine has a central ac in his mcmansion. He has the biggest off grid house I have seen. He has a 48v 4 inverter system (Think it all adds up to around 14k of inverter). 3200ah of battery (4 24v forklift batteries). He only uses the central ac maybe once a year and when he does it's off his propane genny. The rest of the time he does what everyone else does : runs a window ac or mini split in a single small room.
I am not sure where you live but where I live in northern California it's VERRY hot and dry in the summer. evaporative coolers work really well. Our summers are brutal. average July high of 92.3F and my swamp cooler keeps my entire 2000sq ft house around 70 on a few hundred watts and no large start up draw.
Yuba

My RE system: Outback ps2
2x 35264

Return to RADIAN Series