GSLC 80A GFDI Tripping

Dual Input, 120/240, stainless steel form factor design for unsurpassed surge capability
Solar Jason
Forum Guru

GSLC 80A GFDI Tripping

Post by Solar Jason » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:50 pm

I have a Radian Load Center that was preloaded with all of the breakers. Now that the weather is cool outside with snow on the ground, when there is a partly sunny sky, the 80A Ground Fault Detection Breaker will trip. I have two FM80s with 3450W of panels on each charge controller. The FM80s reported 84A and 80A one time. Another time was 80A and 76A. With the snow, cloud edge effect, and cold weather it appears the panels can produce 140% of rated power, which is really exciting, but it isn't exciting to have to come home to find that the breaker has been tripped half the day.

From older posts it appears that outback breakers are 100% rated and that the FM80 is supposed to limit the current before the breaker trips and the breaker is just for catastrophic failure. Can someone confirm this? Do I just have a weak breaker? Is there a warranty on the breakers?

Does anyone know if Outback breakers are magnetic or thermal/magnetic? In one post tallgirl mentioned that using the breaker as a switch under load could cause the breaker to go bad. I don't know if I have done that or not, but that would make me think that this is a thermal breaker and the contacts corrode when opened under load which would cause heating due to the increased resistance. I suppose it tripping at 80A would not help the situation. Could it be dirty contacts that need cleaning? Perhaps the 6AWG factory wiring used in the load center is causing extra heating?

Thanks,
Jason

Kent Osterberg
Forum Emperor
My RE system: SMA Sunny Boy 2500 with eight Mobil Solar Ra 180 modules

Re: GSLC 80A GFDI Tripping

Post by Kent Osterberg » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:41 am

The dc breakers used by Outback are magnetic trip. The 80-amp ground fault breaker should have a minimum of #4 AWG copper. I'm surprised to hear that it is factory wired with #6.

Between the fact that the controller current limit is too slow and the trip margin on these breakers is too thin, the breaker trip is bound to happen. The solution is to set the charge controller's current limit a little lower - to 75 amps or so.

The fact that your are having this problem illustrates one of the reasons that the ground fault breaker should not be located in the charge controller output circuit. Only ground faults should cause the ground fault breaker to trip and open the system ground!

Solar Jason
Forum Guru

Post by Solar Jason » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:34 pm

The factory DC wiring in the GSLC is rather thin. Definitely thinner than what all the Outback manuals suggest for the components. The whole time I was wiring the box with much thicker external wiring, I was thinking that the inspector was going to look into this box and say that I couldn't have that thin of wiring. I am assuming that because it is UL listed that it was tested to the maximum and the inspector really couldn't say much. It would be like him looking into a UL listed light fixture and saying, "nope, that isn't good enough".

The inspector, who was the "solar guy", must of thought that things looked good enough from the outside that he didn't need to look into any of the boxes.

I will try lowering the current and see what happens.

If 80A is the continuous current rating, would the peak rating of the FM80 be 100A?

jnh
Forum Guru
My RE system: GVFX-3524, FM-80+FM-60, ~4.9kW PV in mixed panels on movable platforms, 300 Ah AGMs @ 24V, 80Ah @ 12V, Hub4, Mate, FNDC, Brultech GEM 32-ch AC datalogger, Midnite E-Panel, homebrew DC-DC crossfeed to 12V system, Honda EU-1000i, Iota DLS-27-25

Post by jnh » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:27 pm

Is the Outback GFDI just a 0.5A breaker handled-tied to an 80A one, or are its two poles molded together, with internal common trip? In the former case, and providing the tie can be easily removed and added back, you might consider replacing the 80A breaker with a 90A or 100A one (Midnite, offers these in a compatible panel-mount size)-- after upgrading the wiring to 4ga or better, of course. I haven't seen one of these GFDI assemblies in person, though, to know whether this would be possible. In my area (still on 2008 NEC) they aren't required for ground-mounted arrays, only those on a roof or otherwise attached to the structure.

Solar Jason
Forum Guru

Post by Solar Jason » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:14 am

The GFDI is a single handle breaker. I do have a ground mount array, so I will look to see what version of the code I am on. If I could find a 90A breaker with a shunt trip option, I could tie the existing GFDI to trip the 90A breaker if needed. With the current breaker, I am surprised that the FM80 would have a maximum solar panel wattage of 5000W when I am having trouble with 3450W.

southerniowaguy2012
Forum Member
My RE system: Outback Radian Inverter
38 Canadian Solar CS6P-220P
670 Amp Hour T-105RE
1,000 Watt Wind Turbine
Onan 12,500 Watt LP Generator

Post by southerniowaguy2012 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:03 am

This has been a ongoing problem for me for a year now. I have replaced the GFDI twice and everything else I was asked to do by Outback. Now all they tell me is that I am on my own and good luck! What kind of poor tech support is that? Before I even purchased the system I called Outback to make sure my specs was correct and would work. I got the ok on everything and now they are telling me the panel array is too big! The charge controllers clearly state they can handle 5000 Watts and I am not going over that even with the cloud edge effect. I finally just recently found a solution of my own (No thanks to outback). I purchased a Midnight Solar 100 Amp GFDI breaker and will be replacing the 80 Amp Outback with it. MAYBE I SHOULD HAVE PURCHASED A XANTREX SYSTEM INSTEAD!

Ok, keep in mind that the above post is just me venting. I absolutly LOVE this system (Outback Radian) and would not trade it for any other system. I do however feel like tech support needs to know there system better. It seams like if I get a engineer I get answers and if I get the average tech they just want to write the problem off because they dont know the answer, push me aside, and get me off the phone.

southerniowaguy2012
Forum Member
670 Amp Hour T-105RE
1,000 Watt Wind Turbine

Post by southerniowaguy2012 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:33 pm

FYI This fixed my problem. Been running great for over a month now. Ok by replacing the 80 amp with the 100 amp midnight solar gfdi from firemountainsolar.com fixed my problem. However, please note that this is 20 amps above the rated breaker and can be unsafe in many ways. I firmly beleive my system will be just fine but if you do not know what your doing i would not recommend this! I have actually hit 89 amps before but as everyone says its only for a few seconds. And its still below the rated 5000 watts the charge contoller can handle. If you do this fix and you hit more than 5000 you will most likely fry the charge controller and release the smoke they run on.

if you see smoke leave a electronic device it will no longer work.
Last edited by southerniowaguy2012 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

gww
Forum Guru
My RE system: 1. installed
2. 5640 watts mx panels
3. 2 axial flux Hugh Piggot 500 watt turbines
5. 2 gvfx 3648 inverters
6. 1 mx 60 charge controller, 1 fm 80 and 1 morningstar ts60 pmw
7. outback mount, panel and sub panel
8. mate
9. 4 place hub
10. couple more cc, doc wattson
11. 800 ah, 48 volt fork truck battery

Post by gww » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:10 pm

That is just unfair to say "I fixed this problem" and not to say how.
Cheers
gww

vtmaps
Forum Guru

Post by vtmaps » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:22 am

gww wrote:That is just unfair to say "I fixed this problem" and not to say how.
Cheers
gww
He didn't write "I fixed the problem". He wrote "This fixed the problem". He was referring to his previous post in which he wrote: "I purchased a Midnight Solar 100 Amp GFDI breaker and will be replacing the 80 Amp Outback with it."

--vtMaps

gww
Forum Guru
2. 5640 watts mx panels
5. 2 gvfx 3648 inverters
8. mate
9. 4 place hub

Post by gww » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:52 pm

vtmaps
He has edited his post twice for clarifacation. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass but just wanting to keep up. I definatly didn't catch that the 100 amp breaker was the fix.
Cheers
gww

Ps Thats why I put cheers, trying to keep it light.

southerniowaguy2012
Forum Member
670 Amp Hour T-105RE
1,000 Watt Wind Turbine

Post by southerniowaguy2012 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:44 pm

Ps... The 100 amp midnight breaker actually works better for me because it has 3 80 amp circuits on it and i am going to wire my new wind generator through it for the same ground fault protection. as it turns out a wind generator charge controller should not connect to the batteries if you want the radian to read the power input. it should be connected to the b or c negative lugs. I hope this helps someone because outback could not give me that answer. do this at your own risk! i dont want to be the reason for any accidents!

SteveHiggins
Forum Czar

Post by SteveHiggins » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:05 am

Just an FYI on the prewired systems.

The always pre-wire them for the UL MAX rather than the temporary maximum pv array.

According to UL the max is 4000 watts, because above 4000 watts you could get over the 64 amps Isc the UL requires.
Steve Higgins
Technical Services Director- Surrette Battery Company

\

wuzzerdad
Forum Member

Post by wuzzerdad » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:04 pm

I have this exact problem, and tech support told me to install 100 amp breakers to fix it, my 2 arrays are 4450 watts @ 116 volts nominal, each and should peak out at 92 amps or in the winter perhaps as high as 96 amps and 135 volts at -10. but what really is the issue is I am already on my 3rd set of inverter components, causing me about 12 hours of extra work, and now to change the breakers it is going to cost me around $100, wire, connectors and maybe 3 or 4 hours rewiring as the conduit size needs to be updated from 3/4 to 1" for the #4 wire required which is actually a bit to small for the current except in open air applications by 2 amps of the expected load, and 10 amps from the breaker size.

The other fix was to buy another charge controller, rewire my array and all the other things, another GDFI and so on. Maybe $1500?

The white papers say 5000 watts, my design was within those calculations so I feel Outback should pony up and pay for the required upgrades, at least for the parts. At least the Radian will accept 200 amps of current without any issues so I am Ok there. But for goodness sakes, how can Outback sell this stuff and not stand behind their claims?

I have another issue and tech support has not replied, the programming changes on its own on the mate3 and it quits selling power back until I go in and enable selling again, every day and sometimes twice. No response about that issue in 3 days, however I bundled that in with my request for them to pay for the upgrades and I am sure they moved it on to another level because nobody will take responsibility.

My little company wires houses and does repair work, we were looking at Solar as a way to improve our bottom line, I did a couple of off grid installations, and this is my first grid tied. I believe this may be the last Outback equipment I will ever install.

The Radian did not quit selling today, first time since the 3rd inverter has been in operation (6 days now), but I know electronics never fix themselves. :sad:

wuzzerdad
Forum Member

Post by wuzzerdad » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:48 am

southerniowaguy2012 wrote:FYI This fixed my problem. Been running great for over a month now. Ok by replacing the 80 amp with the 100 amp midnight solar gfdi from firemountainsolar.com fixed my problem. However, please note that this is 20 amps above the rated breaker and can be unsafe in many ways. I firmly beleive my system will be just fine but if you do not know what your doing i would not recommend this! I have actually hit 89 amps before but as everyone says its only for a few seconds. And its still below the rated 5000 watts the charge contoller can handle. If you do this fix and you hit more than 5000 you will most likely fry the charge controller and release the smoke they run on.

if you see smoke leave a electronic device it will no longer work.
It is hard to put the smoke back in. Sometimes it can take a few hours. :mrgreen:

MyEnergyWarehouse
Forum Whiz
My RE system: Radian Inverter, Mate 3, FM 80

Post by MyEnergyWarehouse » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:09 am

I'm sorry that you are having these issues. I'm not sure where the information about 5000 watts per string came from. I use OutBack's string sizing tool and that never goes over 4000 watts per string for 48v system using a FM80. 4000 watts / 48v gives you 83.3A without accounting for cold weather and the FM80 is rated for 80A max. So unless I'm wrong on my math, 4450 watts will overdrive your GFDI 80A breaker.

I will defend OutBack as a company. They always treat us right and we have hundreds of installs. Was your distributor willing to assist you in designing the system?

I do not have a ready answer to the Mate3 quit selling issue. However, the Mate3 will protect the battery. I would recheck the battery settings to make sure that it is set for HBX. Here is a link to the Mate3 sell programming instructions that may be helpful. http://legacy.outbackpower.com/resource ... ing/#mate3

OutBack does offer new installer training that is very helpful and much cheaper than your current experience. They are running a special for the August training - I think that it is 50% off.

gww
Forum Guru
2. 5640 watts mx panels
5. 2 gvfx 3648 inverters
8. mate
9. 4 place hub

Post by gww » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:12 pm

Myenergywarehouse
I know you are much smarter then me and I always learn a little from your every post.

I have read many post on loading of the fm charge controllers. Most say that it wouldn't matter if you had 100 amps that the controller just clips it and the hotter it runs it may even clip the amps below the cc rating.

Many have advised that panels are ineffitiant and won't run most times at their rated output and when they do the charge controller just clips the amps, so going over is not a problim except for added heat and losses of potential watts during the overload.

All say that the voltage going over 150 volts is the danger.

Lots of advice of extra panels not being that bad.

I did see steve's answer on ul.
I don't mind if you correct me. Thanks
gww

MyEnergyWarehouse
Forum Whiz
My RE system: Radian Inverter, Mate 3, FM 80

Post by MyEnergyWarehouse » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:49 am

gww,

Many people in my life would question your comment on who is smarter.... :grin: So I will leave that alone.

I'm with you. I learn everyday. One of my thoughts were that while the FM80 will clip the amps, is it fast enough to clip it in "edge of cloud" or similar amp surges to keep the GFDI breaker (or any 80A breaker) from tripping?

Sure, I can put a 100A breaker in if it's my own but as an installer, do I want to take that liability? My understanding is that the UL listing is good with only an 80A breaker.

This only my opinion and I will trade it for a better one any day. :smile:

gww
Forum Guru
2. 5640 watts mx panels
5. 2 gvfx 3648 inverters
8. mate
9. 4 place hub

Post by gww » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:40 pm

Myenergywarehouse
Looking at it from your position, I agree whole heartedly.
gww

Vic
Forum Czar

Post by Vic » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:03 am

[quote="wuzzerdad"]: I have this exact problem, and tech support told me to install 100 amp breakers to fix it, my 2 arrays are 4450 watts @ 116 volts nominal, each and should peak out at 92 amps or in the winter perhaps as high as 96 amps and 135 volts at -10. /quote]

When you say that each array is 4450 W @ 116 V nominal, in the traditional sense, this implies that you are saying that the string Vmp is 116 V, and at -10 degrees, the string Vmp is 135 volts. Is this correct, or is it that the string Voc is 116 V at 25 C ???

If the string Vmp is either of these values at 25 C and -10 degrees, you will toast your CCs, and you will be running the OB CCs at an inefficient operating point.

Furthermore, as simple as it is to design and install Solar systems, the INSTALLER is responsible to KNOW and meet applicable codes. Do not know where you are located, but it should be fairly obvious that you are demanding too much of the system, and would not pass an inspection at any location in the USA that I am familiar with.

There are liability issues resulting from not meeting Codes when doing Solar system installations, and almost all of this liability rests on the shoulders of the installer. Learn the Codes that apply in your area. Learn what the Inspectors are looking for when inspections are done. And it is often a very good idea to comply with the Codes even for systems that will not need inspections, IMHO. Thanks for the answers to the String Vmp/Voc question. Good Luck, Vic
4/20/08: 18 Shell SQ 175-106 Vmpp, Stacked 5548 SW+, 1350 AH Surrette 4KS25's, MX-60, Kubota SQ-3250 25 KVA Polyphase Diesel genset. Thanks OutBack for this Forum + the great Support and Service.

gww
Forum Guru
2. 5640 watts mx panels
5. 2 gvfx 3648 inverters
8. mate
9. 4 place hub

Post by gww » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:01 pm

I have a mx60 and an fm80. My current figure is 2820 watts per charge controller. Rough cold weather high voltage is right at 140 volts voc if I am figuring correctly. I am running pv in series of three. If I want to max out the controllers I have to add buy threes. I was going to add three panels to the mx60 and 6 panels to the fm80. The mx 60 should handle about 3200 watts, it will be 3525 watts if I try to max it. The fm80 should be about 4000 watts, It will be 4230 watts if I try to max it. I am using mx 235 watt panels at about 29.8 volts under load 37 volts voc. This will be a self install and everything I have read says I won't tear up the equipment at these rates except that they may not last quite as long due to heat and during high production will be even more ineffictiant.

The above is what I wanted to do cause I could get the panels to my house for about $0.88 per watt with out spending another $600 for an additional charge controller. I could just add 700 watts and be safe but I hate to pay the same shipping for 3 panels that I would have to pay for 9.

I am the user and do pay for my mastakes. Do I risk it, hummmm...
Thanks
gww

Vic
Forum Czar

Post by Vic » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:59 pm

Hi gww,

Well, seems that with a 48 V system, you really have no choice but to run strings of three PVs, as two will be too low string voltage.

You will just have to make certain that you calc the Voc for the lowest recorded temperature for your area, and this does vary quite a bit, even within a few thousand feet from the site for that low temperature.

I'd say, Go for it! Just keep an eye on the recorded Voc on the CCs.

The system here using the MX-60 runs at 106 V string Vmp, and has a high recorded Voc of 141 V -- we have much milder winters than you will experience.

Another system uses similar PVs to yours, with a Vmp of 31 V per PV module. My opinions, Good Luck, Vic
4/20/08: 18 Shell SQ 175-106 Vmpp, Stacked 5548 SW+, 1350 AH Surrette 4KS25's, MX-60, Kubota SQ-3250 25 KVA Polyphase Diesel genset. Thanks OutBack for this Forum + the great Support and Service.

gww
Forum Guru
2. 5640 watts mx panels
5. 2 gvfx 3648 inverters
8. mate
9. 4 place hub

Post by gww » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:34 am

Vic
Thank you for your comments.
gww

eesiason
Forum Whiz
My RE system: Off-Grid 48ea Sunmodule SW240, sunmodule 240W Modules, 18 SolarWorld 290W modules, 2ea Radian 8000W GS8048 48V 120/240VAC Inverter, 4ea Flexmax 80, MATE 3, Hub 10, 2kw Wind, 15kw ecogen.

Post by eesiason » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:49 pm

Ha. This happened to me today. Freaked me out it did. :-) Three times! I have an 11,800 watt array, and it went way higher than that today. Crystal clear day, quite cold, and an ice covered snow pack on the ground in front of the array. 3 FM 80's and 2 GS8048s.

I have an 80 gallon electric hot water heater that is enabled by a relay triggered off of one of the FMs (float mode). This started happening as soon as the hot water heater turned on, as we had a full house of guests running water and microwave, etc etc. The load was prolly up to 9kW, plus float charging so the system was using everything the array could give.

I read the ideas about a 100 amp breaker replacing the 80 amp, but to me that would put the FM80s at risk. Seems it would be easier and $120 cheaper to walk over to the barn and shut off one string's breaker in each of the Midnite Solar collector boxes when it is like this out. 16 strings of 3 (5, 5, & 6) would become 4, 4, and 5 and not overwhelm the breaker or the FMs. I am assuming it is the one feed that has 6 strings that went too hot and tripped the breaker. We are off grid, and there is only so much I can do with all that power on a day like today.

This is the first time since we went live in the summer of 2012 that this has happened...

A solar spill. Go figure.

Outbacknewbie
Forum Member
My RE system: 8048a and 4048a 13kw Sunpower

Post by Outbacknewbie » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:54 pm

can you point me to the other posts on this topic? I have 13kw (half face and half face west so never hitting that but even at 10kw being produced my 80amp breaker is tripping.

I want to weigh the alternatives.

Thanks

eesiason
Forum Whiz
My RE system: Off-Grid 48ea Sunmodule SW240, sunmodule 240W Modules, 18 SolarWorld 290W modules, 2ea Radian 8000W GS8048 48V 120/240VAC Inverter, 4ea Flexmax 80, MATE 3, Hub 10, 2kw Wind, 15kw ecogen.

Post by eesiason » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:27 am

Outbacknewbie, this thread has a lot of discussion on the topic if you scroll to the top. If for some reason you dont see the whole thread, search the forum for "GSLC 80A GFDI Tripping". You might also want to engage Outback's support team. They have been really helpful with questions that I have had in the past.