Outback GS8048A Dead

Dual Input, 120/240, stainless steel form factor design for unsurpassed surge capability

Outback GS8048A Dead

Postby davilara on Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:33 am

Yesterday my Outback GS8048A stopped working. Today the technicians came to service the unit but could not start it. Only the charge controllers are working. They verified AC and DC power to the inverter and it is OK. They ask me to coordinate for another service, meanwhile in the middle of hurricane season I do not want to take any chance of being without the recently installed system.

> I believe the issue might be on the power board and wonder how this can be checked to make sure this is the issue?

> I wonder if the issue is an old issue on the power board for old manufacturing dates. How can I figure out the manufacturing date of my GS8048A?

> I also suspect there might be issues with the recently replaced Mate3 with a Mate3s, if it happened once on a system installed a few months ago it might be possible the replacement is the issue. It was replaced because of a duplicate MAC address. viewtopic.php?f=46&t=13326
davilara
Forum Whiz

My RE system: 1 ea 8K Power Radian Inverter 240V
2 ea FM80 Charge Controllers
1 ea FlexnetDC
16 ea Rolls S550 Batteries

Re: Outback GS8048A Dead

Postby davilara on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:54 am

This is just the start of the peak season and inverter is dead for the very first season it should be working. Within current week a storm/hurricane will be close to Puerto Rico. If it hit us within a year after Maria even if a weak hurricane it will have significant impact on our very weak grid.
Last edited by davilara on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
davilara
Forum Whiz

1 ea FlexnetDC

Postby davilara on Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:13 pm

I just replaced the Mate3 as per Outback instructions, no reprogram required as I do not use HBX mode nor AGS functionalities. It would be good to know if any one of you had issues when replacing the Mate3 with a Mate3s.

davilara
Forum Whiz

1 ea FlexnetDC

Postby davilara on Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:55 pm

When you live in an island on the Caribbean you need reliability at all cost. I am considering using the system as an Emergency Generator with no connection to the Grid at the expense of not selling to the Grid. After Hurricane Maria gasoline/diesel was scarce. My neighbors with power generators had to wake up at 3:00 am every day to make ling lines for a rationed amount. A Power Generator is not within my options.

Hopefully in this way use of the inverter and charge controllers will be minimized and life expectancy increased. The risk of changes in Grid voltage and power surges will be completely eliminated as the inverter in no way will be connected to the grid.

Among others I am considering GE ZTG Series Automatic Transfer Switch and ASCO 185 Series Automatic Transfer Switch.

I have limited knowledge on electrical systems therefore any comment will be welcomed.

Last edited by davilara on Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
davilara
Forum Whiz

1 ea FlexnetDC

Postby davilara on Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:13 am

In Puerto Rico the cost of electricity is perhaps the highest in the US, we pay $0.27/kwh. At 500 kwh/month I pay an average of $135/month. The service is without any doubt the most unreliable in any US jurisdiction.

This week the installer came with a replacement unit until mine is sent to Outback for warranty. The workers mentioned that earlier that day they replaced 3 units from another manufactures, out of 35 at a single customer. No matter the manufacturer they are not as reliable as I was hoping. But the customer still had 32 working units.

As I have only one inverter the impact of my single unit being out of service is too much. This just happened in the middle of hurricane season. It does not needs to be a Cat 4/5 hurricane, look what a Cat 1 did this month to North Carolina. I am looking for a way to tackle this.

After a single long duration event the investment will pay several times even if I do not sell to the Grid.

I would like to hear from Outback on their recommendations that fits my needs.
davilara
Forum Whiz

1 ea FlexnetDC

Postby davilara on Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:05 pm

Before getting back the replacement the temporary unit stopped working today, STRIKE 2.
davilara
Forum Whiz

1 ea FlexnetDC

Postby davilara on Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:19 pm

My contractor just called me to inform that someone from technical support told him that these inverters came out with a defective power supply. That the inverters do not have any warranty at all because he as a contractor bought the inverters and not myself as the owner, that there was a transfer of ownership and this voids the warranty. It is not just about the power supply but about all the inverters he brought for installation. My contractor said next Wednesday he will install other brand and never again use Outback.

I wonder if Outback have basic understanding of common contracting methods, or if we have been subjected to some sort of sting operation by the seller of the equipment. I agree with the contractor, never again Outback.

Two days ago two Outback employees, I guess sales people, came to my house to look at the installation and mentioned that maybe the problem was use of common grounding and took photos of the grounding to a new grounding rod close to the installation. A common practice of my contractor in industrial jobs. I am not an electrician but as a civil engineer can read electrical wiring diagrams, I read the wiring diagram and it shows all grounds interconnected.

I recall one of them saying he was in charge of Mexico Region and that they had plans to introduce larger scale products in Puerto Rico similar to the ones used by my contractor in industrial installations and that they wanted my contractor to consider their products. I do not believe with such service attitude Outback will last long here.

My neighbor was an engineer at the local power authority until he retired, his son also an electrical engineer currently works for the local power authority and supervises private connections to the grid, I will make sure they hear what just happened.

I will consider either submitting a complaint to local consumer protection agency, to local power authority and to a local TV Station that provides additional support to consumers having such issues. As we might have been subjected to some sort of sting dealing with interstate commerce, submitting a claim to the BBB will be considered after some legal advice on how to proceed.
davilara
Forum Whiz

1 ea FlexnetDC

Postby davilara on Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:37 am

I must replace the equipment ASAP as I need it.

I do not want new equipment that is defective, keeping a lemon with no warranty makes no sense.

Please provide me with an address to place the claim for a full reimbursement of the replacement costs I will be incurring during next week.
Last edited by davilara on Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
davilara
Forum Whiz

1 ea FlexnetDC

Postby davilara on Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:48 pm

The warranty registration instructions I found awkward.

http://www.outbackpower.com/downloads/w ... guages.pdf

Product Registration Form

Warranty support does not depend on registration. Your OutBack Power Technologies product has the stated warranty even if you do not register it. However, registering has advantages. Our database will have your information should you need to contact us for support. We can contact you regarding news and updates. If you choose, you can receive surveys or activities to maintain our excellence in performance, quality, and reliability.

Do you mean that after Mate3 was replaced there was still no record on the database?

Do you mean that if an equipment is replaced by the installer there will be no warranty for the replacement?

By not requiring the contractor/installer to register the equipment the client can be subject to having problems if the contractor goes out of business or if purchasing documents by installer get lost. I believe in order to avoid misunderstandings warranty papers should be issued in favor of client ASAP within some time limit, the instructions should be clear about the procedure not being optional for new equipment as well as for any replacement.
Last edited by davilara on Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
davilara
Forum Whiz

1 ea FlexnetDC

Postby davilara on Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:59 pm

About the Outback Technologies equipment installed at my home:
> First it was the Mate 3 which came with a duplicate MAC address, it was replaced fast. After the change, I was able to connect the Mate 3 to Optics RE to discover that when the power goes out and then returns Optics RE yields erratic and impossible numbers so I disconnected it. I asked for a plan B in case of long outages such as a hurricane, the response was that there is no plan B. It should be remembered that after hurricane Maria spent months in returning the current and Internet connection, Optics RE is so limited and unreliable is a hindrance. 1 STRIKE
> Then the inverter was damaged and changed, that makes two changes and counting. It was replaced fast by my contractor using equipment he had on stock. 1 STRIKE
> Then the second inverter is damaged again, making it the third replacement in less than six months, this is what is legally known in Puerto Rico as a lemon. This time the contractor was told that he was having problems with the warranty. Within a few days, this week, I received a communication where there is talk of another equipment change. 1 STRIKE
> I spent the 2018 hurricane season without the equipment and still continue without the equipment. This investment is not to pass the consumption economies to pay for the Outback, the idea was to have the tranquility of a system for the case of a hurricane.
> Then the communication came as if to say that everything is fine, as if nothing had happened, without Outback having the courtesy to apologize for all the inconvenience.
> I told my contractor it does not make any sense to continue with this any longer. That when they call technical service they wait for hours on the phone. This unnecessary delay affects me as every time there is a failure I must be at home for long hours after cancelling all my other business. I want all of the assembly equipment (the Mate 3, the inverter, load center and charge controllers) to be replaced by a more reliable brand.
> TOTAL TO DATE = 3 STRIKES
davilara
Forum Whiz

1 ea FlexnetDC

Return to RADIAN Series