AC coupling Configuration Question

Dual Input, 120/240, stainless steel form factor design for unsurpassed surge capability

AC coupling Configuration Question

Postby pss on Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:57 am

I updated my Mate 3S to firmware 1.41 and my Radian GS8048A to firmware 1.6.70. According to technical note of Feb 22, 2019, I should be able to program AC coupling by going to my Mate 3S, selecting inverter and scrolling down to the AC Coupling menu. That menu is not present.

I am in Minigrid in the day and do not sell back to utility. So my question is: Is the AC Coupling menu for the Inverter via the Mate 3S always present or is it dependent on the other settings of the Inverter such as Grid Tied? IE., does this AC Coupling Menu appear and disappear from the Mate3S and what settings does it depend on being present to appear as an option?

Thanks.
pss
Forum Guru

My RE system: 8330 watts in three strings, Flexmax 60 x 3, Radian 8048A, GSLC load center, Mate 3S, Hub 10.3, FN-DC and 900 Amp, 48V Trojan T105-RE battery bank.

Re: AC coupling Configuration Question

Postby Gwendoly Espe on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:25 am

Hello I have quoted the Application Note for reference. Did you enter the installer password? It says it is only visible by entering the Installer Password.

Programming the MATE3s and Radian Inverter
1. Download the MATE3s and Radian AC Coupling firmware from the OutBack Power website.
2. Copy the firmware files to the SD card and install from the MATE3s Main Menu.
3. Enter the Installer password.
4. Select Settings from the MATE3s Main Menu.
5. Select Inverter menu and scroll down to the AC Coupling settings.
6. Change AC Coupling from N to Y, and change the Freq Shift Response Time (0.02 to 5.0
seconds) if desired. This setting adds/subtracts delay in the frequency steps between 60.0
and 64.5 Hz.
7. Press the UP key to move back to the Inverter menu and program the Absorb and Float charger
settings according to the battery manufacturer’s specifications.
8. Move to the Grid Tied settings in the Inverter menu if the SellRE setting is to be changed from
its default setting of 52.0 volts. NOTE: the SellRE setting does not affect the exporting of GTI
current back to the main service panel. The GTI current moves from the AC output to the AC
input through a relay so the SellRE setting has no affect. However, the SellRE setting becomes
the active voltage target during frequency shift operation when the Absorb and Float timers have
been zeroed. A higher setting from 52.0 to equal the Float setting may allow the GTI to operate
over a wider battery voltage range when the Backup Load panel is lightly loaded. If using
lead-acid batteries, most can operate safely at Float voltages for extended periods.
Gwendoly Espe
Applications Engineer

Alpha Technologies Inc. / OutBack Power Technologies
3767 Alpha Way Bellingham WA 98226 USA
http://www.alpha.com
Gwendoly Espe
Applications Engineering

Postby pss on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:42 am

Yes, I entered the installer password. There is no AC Coupling menu option on my Mate 3S, Settings, Inverter menu. That is why I posted on forum. Something is wrong here with the firmware, at least in my case or other menu parameters to make this menu line item display.
pss
Forum Guru

My RE system: 8330 watts in three strings, Flexmax 60 x 3, Radian 8048A, GSLC load center, Mate 3S, Hub 10.3, FN-DC and 900 Amp, 48V Trojan T105-RE battery bank.

Postby raysun on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:53 am

pss wrote:Yes, I entered the installer password. There is no AC Coupling menu option on my Mate 3S, Settings, Inverter menu. That is why I posted on forum. Something is wrong here with the firmware, at least in my case or other menu parameters to make this menu line item display.

Perhaps another firmware installation will overwrite some corrupted code or memory space.

Perhaps some old code or data did not get updated. A Reset to Factory Defaults before reloading the firmware may allow the installer to proceed successfully.
raysun
Forum Czar

My RE system: Flexpower One: FX3048T, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Outback 200NC batteries (8 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 6 Strings @ 2 Series)
Hyundai 355 watt panels (6 - 3 strings @ 2 series)

Postby pss on Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:09 am

If the firmware updates proceed without error and yet, as you suggest there could be corruption in the process or incompletion of the process, then it would be incumbent upon the software manufacturer to provide a program to execute and verify that all firmware checksums and code is installed correctly. Otherwise, resetting all to defaults, taking power off line and just guessing is not a real solution and not something I want to have to do unless I find it to be absolutely necessary. Also, if corrupt programming is present, it present a hazard to a technician maybe?
pss
Forum Guru

Postby raysun on Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:24 am

pss wrote:If the firmware updates proceed without error and yet, as you suggest there could be corruption in the process or incompletion of the process, then it would be incumbent upon the software manufacturer to provide a program to execute and verify that all firmware checksums and code is installed correctly. Otherwise, resetting all to defaults, taking power off line and just guessing is not a real solution and not something I want to have to do unless I find it to be absolutely necessary. Also, if corrupt programming is present, it present a hazard to a technician maybe?

Proceed as you feel best. Having managed over one million lines of firmware install code in my day, I can tell you with confidence that every possible combination of code and data structures are impossible to error trap. To quote a derisive truism "Code can be made fool proof, but it can't be made damn-fool proof."

If you are not comfortable resetting to a known, and likely well-tested starting point to attempt a straight-forward as possible firmware install, then open a trouble ticket with support and get some help there.
raysun
Forum Czar

Postby Gwendoly Espe on Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:46 am

pss wrote:Yes, I entered the installer password. There is no AC Coupling menu option on my Mate 3S, Settings, Inverter menu. That is why I posted on forum. Something is wrong here with the firmware, at least in my case or other menu parameters to make this menu line item display.

Well, I see that your AC Coupling is set to OFF from OpticsRE, so your system has it and it looks like from OpitcsRE that you do indeed have the right firmware versions. Now just getting you to see it in the MATE3s. I'm waiting to hear back from a couple of people here, but in the mean time...

Do you still have the default installer password or do you have your own installer password? I know that the Grid Interface Protection menu only shows up if the installer password is changed from default. I'm checking to see if that might be required, feel free to check on your own.
Gwendoly Espe
Applications Engineer

Gwendoly Espe
Applications Engineering

Postby raysun on Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:59 am

Interesting Gwendoly.

I thought some bit did not get flipped during the upgrade process, but it makes sense this could be "by design".

Protecting the system from folks who use "PASSWORD" as their password.
raysun
Forum Czar

Postby pss on Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:51 pm

My system is using the default three digit installer password.
pss
Forum Guru

Postby raysun on Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:10 pm

pss wrote:My system is using the default three digit installer password.

Mine too.

Can't even figure out how to change it on Mate 3. Can't get past Inst Pwd Challenge.

RTFM I guess.
raysun
Forum Czar

Postby Gwendoly Espe on Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:53 am

pss wrote:My system is using the default three digit installer password.

The *three* digit password? The three digit password is not the INSTALLER PASSWORD, that is the USER PASSWORD. The installer password is the four digit password above the user password.

The installer password will be either be the default (see Image) or what the installer changed it to. Have you been using the 3 digit user password or the 4 digit installer password?

1) Try the default 4 digit password, if that doesn't work....
2) Then change the 4 digit installer password from default and then get out and then sign back in with the new Installer Password. *I'm pretty sure this is what is needed, still waiting for confirmation*

Let us know which worked for you! :)
Attachments
Installer Password.jpg
Gwendoly Espe
Applications Engineer

Gwendoly Espe
Applications Engineering

Postby pss on Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:49 am

Well, it turns out that when I re-read the Feb tech note on AC Coupling, it does indeed say to enter the installer password. I was entering the user password. Now, when I enter the installer password, my AC Coupling menu item is properly displayed.

Thanks Gwendolyn for pointing this out.
In the future I will be much more careful in reading the noes.
pss
Forum Guru

Postby Kurt Lundquist on Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:01 am

Why are you using AC coupling? Do you have a normal grid-direct string inverter wired to the Radian AC output?

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Renewable Energy Project Engineer
http://alphaenergy.us/
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering

My RE system: VFX3524, Mate3, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Postby pss on Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:39 am

The geographic restrictions at my property make the addition of more panels for load with microinverters much more feasible than another DC array.
pss
Forum Guru

Return to RADIAN Series