Cannot Enable "ON" Charger Mode on Radian 8048A Inverter

Dual Input, 120/240, stainless steel form factor design for unsurpassed surge capability

Cannot Enable "ON" Charger Mode on Radian 8048A Inverter

Postby bpad on Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:27 am

My system is a "grid tied / battery backup system" that has been operating for about 11 months. The utility power goes off very infrequently and the batteries are normally in a standby mode with the (2) FM80-150VDC charge controllers keeping the batteries at a float voltage of 53.6V while selling power to the utility. The system includes a MATE3 and 370AH 48V wet cell Trojan batteries.

With the utility power on, the system works with the (2) FM80s doing all of the battery charging. But I would like to be able to use the Radian charger functions. Specifically to provide a lower float charge of approx. 52.5V during the evening hours, so that I can run a monthly 1 hour equalizing charge (at an absorption voltage of 58V) to keep the electrolyte from stratifying, and in the case of a power outage, to be able to charge my batteries from the utility power
bpad

My RE system: Outback 8048A Radian inverter, (2) FM80-150VDC charge controllers, MATE3 operator interface, 8KW solar panels, 370AH 48V Trojan wet cell batteries

Re: Cannot Enable "ON" Charger Mode on Radian 8048A Inverter

Postby Sandra Herrera on Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:32 am

Hello,
Can you describe the selected programming you are following to enable charge on the Radian?
Sandra Herrera
Applications Engineering

OutBack Power Technologies
Sandra Herrera
OutBack Management

Postby bpad on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:57 am

Sandra,
Thank you for getting back so quickly.

Whenever I go to the Mate3 screen for "charger mode" (either by pressing the "charger" button or putting in the pass code and going to "settings"; I have buttons below the "charger screen" with screen labels designated "on" and "off".

When I press the button below "on" the charger mode indication on the screen will momentarily go to "on" then back to "off". Also, the float voltage setting will not allow me to select a voltage below 54.0V (my grid sell voltage is set to 53.6V and the float voltage in the charge controllers is set to 54.4V)

Previously I have been able to run a monthly equalization charge at 58.0V for 1 hour to obtain some stirring of the electrolyte (was suggested by Trojan Battery).
bpad

My RE system: Outback 8048A Radian inverter, (2) FM80-150VDC charge controllers, MATE3 operator interface, 8KW solar panels, 370AH 48V Trojan wet cell batteries

Postby Sandra Herrera on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:13 am

Hello,
Please provide the following information
1. What is the actual mode of the charger?
2. What is the Radian input mode? this is under Grid AC input mode and limits
3. What are the voltages and time programmed under battery charger and battery equalize?
Sandra Herrera
Applications Engineering

Sandra Herrera
OutBack Management

Postby bpad on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:43 am

Per questions from Sandra:
1. The orange indicator light on the Mate3 "Charger Button" is lit. (At least when there is solar energy and the charge controllers are outputting.) When I press this button it goes to "Inverter Charger Status Screen". On this screen it indicates "Charger Control OFF".
One of the buttons below the screen has a screen label of "Charger Mode". When I press this button it goes to a "Charger Mode Screen".
This screen has "Charger Control OFF" with the OFF highlighted. On the bottom of the screen there are labels of "Back", "ON", and "OFF" above 3 of the buttons. When I press the button below "ON" the highlighted "OFF" indication on the screen toggles to "ON" then goes back to "OFF"; when I release the button.
2. The Radian input mode is "Grid Tied", as indicated on the screen.
3. Battery Charger Screen Absorb 58.0V Time 0.0
Float 54.0V Time 2.6 ( The Mate3 will not let me set the float voltage below 54.0V or the time below 2.2)
Refloat 50.0V
Rebulk 49.6V
Battery Equalize Screen Voltage 58.0V Time 1.0
bpad

Postby Sandra Herrera on Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:00 am

Please enter a value on the absorb time
Sandra Herrera
Applications Engineering

Sandra Herrera
OutBack Management

Postby bpad on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:10 am

Answer to Sandra's latest post:

For "Absorb Time" - first put in .1 still wouldn't let me change the charger mode to "ON".

Tried to put in a longer time to see if this would let me change the charger mode to "ON". After logging in to setup the Mate3 would only let me increase this time to a maximum of .4 I put this in and still was not able to change the charger mode to "ON"
bpad

Postby bpad on Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:17 am

Another Note:

Ran Equalize Charge last night. Settings were "58.0V and 1.0 hr". Was able to start Equalize cycle with with button having screen label "Start Equalize Charge".
"Time Remaining" display did mot indicate. But charger appeared to control properly, starting at approx. 12 amps and decreasing to below 2 amps in a short period of time. Then shutting off at the end of an hour.
Still was not able to change Charger Mode from "OFF" to "ON", or to initiate other charger functions.
bpad

Return to RADIAN Series