Venting a Radian Inverter

Dual Input, 120/240, stainless steel form factor design for unsurpassed surge capability

Venting a Radian Inverter

Postby bear_essentials on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:31 pm

Id like some help on properly venting the Radian inverter.

So, I've got a Radian 8048A and I'm backfeeding the grid and my loads are minimal, so it pretty much runs full tilt all day long.
Bad news is that it generates a fair amount of heat and it is installed in a bedroom utility closet (only place that had room for the Radian and batteries). The fan noise is not obnoxious but it is loud enough to be an issue when i'm on the cellphone nearby. To solve these issues, I am considering venting the Radian exhaust via insulated flexible duct to the outside.

I only have to travel about 5 ft from Radian front cabinet to the outside. Is there a limit on the length of this venting without requiring a booster fan?
Is 4" duct sufficient or do I need to go to 5" or 6"? Is Round tube OK or should it be Rectangular?

If a booster fan is required, should it be 12V, 24V, or 48V and what is the recommended wiring to the inverter? I have a 48V battery bank, if that makes a difference. I see that the Aux terminals allow for an "extra fan", but the limit is 12V 0.7A DC, which is not sufficient for any duct booster fans that I've come across.

Thanks in advance
bear_essentials

My RE system: Flexpower Radian 8048A, 1000AH battery bank, CSUN 305W x 24, Midnite Solar combiner

Re: Venting a Radian Inverter

Postby sparksalot on Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:18 am

hi
That aux 12 vdc terminals at the inverter can trigger a larger rated added external relay (12vdc coil) that will then handle the higher amp load of a larger fan and fan voltage can be whatever you make it.

HTH
sparksalot
OutBack Virtuoso

My RE system: FLEXpower TWO VFXR3648A Grid-Tied and Battery Backup Hybrid

Traction battery FLA 48 volt 805Ahr.

30 SolarWorld 245w mono

Postby backstay on Tue May 02, 2017 1:28 pm

bear_essentials wrote:Id like some help on properly venting the Radian inverter.

So, I've got a Radian 8048A and I'm backfeeding the grid and my loads are minimal, so it pretty much runs full tilt all day long.
Bad news is that it generates a fair amount of heat and it is installed in a bedroom utility closet (only place that had room for the Radian and batteries). The fan noise is not obnoxious but it is loud enough to be an issue when i'm on the cellphone nearby. To solve these issues, I am considering venting the Radian exhaust via insulated flexible duct to the outside.

I only have to travel about 5 ft from Radian front cabinet to the outside. Is there a limit on the length of this venting without requiring a booster fan?
Is 4" duct sufficient or do I need to go to 5" or 6"? Is Round tube OK or should it be Rectangular?

If a booster fan is required, should it be 12V, 24V, or 48V and what is the recommended wiring to the inverter? I have a 48V battery bank, if that makes a difference. I see that the Aux terminals allow for an "extra fan", but the limit is 12V 0.7A DC, which is not sufficient for any duct booster fans that I've come across.

Thanks in advance

You say bedroom utility closet, I hope it's not a clothes closet. Over current devices can not be in a clothes closet.
backstay

My RE system: (1)Trace SW4024 inverter, (1) FM 80, (1) FM 60, (10) Evergreen ES-A 200 watt panels, (10) Photowatt 100 watt panels. Off grid system

Postby sparksalot on Tue May 02, 2017 1:36 pm

Would not be a great place for batteries either. :roll:
sparksalot
OutBack Virtuoso

My RE system: FLEXpower TWO VFXR3648A Grid-Tied and Battery Backup Hybrid

Traction battery FLA 48 volt 805Ahr.

30 SolarWorld 245w mono

Postby bear_essentials on Tue May 02, 2017 1:40 pm

No worries. I created the "closet" from extra space in the bedroom. It was a long rectangular bedroom, so I could afford to shorten it some. No clothes in there.
Is there any good documentation on venting Radian inverters to the outside? It seems like a waste of electricity to remove the heat generated by a Radian inverter, using A/C.
bear_essentials

My RE system: Flexpower Radian 8048A, 1000AH battery bank, CSUN 305W x 24, Midnite Solar combiner

Postby Washwren on Tue May 09, 2017 5:22 am

I built a sort of 'box' on its side, with a bathroom vent fan (120v) mounted in it and affixed it just in front of the radian exhaust. The 3" flex hose runs about 5ft to an outside wall in the summer. I move the hose to a different vent and make use of the heat in the winter. I used to run it with a thermocube that would turn it on at 90degrees, but I preferred a 'head start' so I just put it on a simple timer and it works great for me...3 years so far so good.
Washwren

My RE system: 30 ITEK 270HE panels
Radian 8048 w/Load center, grid tied
2 FM80s, Mate 3, Hub
330 AH, 3 banks, deep cycle batts

Return to RADIAN Series