Mate 3s
10Kw MEP 803a Military gen

Honda EU7000i

Davis VantagePro2 Wx Station
On line at: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KHININOL2

Re: Mate 3 Cannot Recover from Ethernet Outage

Post by sodamo » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:55 am

Lionel

I'm with you. Perhaps when this solution wirelessly connects to my existing quipment I'll take another look (again).
For me, convenience is remote access via my iPad or iPhone, even my Mac laptop.
David
Please visit http://vacation.ninolehawaii.com

intellact
Forum Czar

Post by intellact » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:22 am

SEYLIONE wrote:Up to now, I had discarded the AXS Port because it needs a computer and keyboard and mouse and screen to manage the system.
Not exactly. [-X The AXS Port needs a computer to manage the AXS Port. Once the system has been set up, the computer can be turned off and taken away, leaving the AXS Port to manage the system, just as the MATE3 does now. :smile: And you can continue to log all performance data, every second, on an SD card, just like with the MATE3.
SEYLIONE wrote:much more complicated than M3!
I disagree. [-X The AXS Port is much simpler than the MATE3, which is why it works.
As a complete package, a MATE3 might be simple, but it is only viewable in one location (unless you can keep OpticsRE running - see the number of posts in this thread), and both the MATE3 and OpticsRE have very limited functionality.
The solution I propose has a simpler interface than the MATE3, and would allow you to access the system from anywhere and do way more. Yes, you would need a PC to view the system. (An old discarded Windows XP box would do it.) Most people do have a computer and keyboard and mouse and screen available to them. :wink:
SEYLIONE wrote:- are the commands with AXS as clear and easy as with M3?
Actually, using the solution I propose, they are much clearer and easier than on the MATE3. (They are graphical and supply helpful text to guide user actions.) And the MATE3 supports 57 different commands. I'm talking hundreds of potential commands - the ability to work with over 650 system settings, as well as invoking any MATE3 action.
sodamo wrote:Perhaps when this solution wirelessly connects to my existing quipment I'll take another look (again).
For me, convenience is remote access via my iPad or iPhone, even my Mac laptop.
You can connect wirelessly to an AXS Port! It has an IP address. And while handheld device access is the obvious next step, you can access the AXS Port from a Mac right now.

Look, the solution I talk about is not for everyone - I get that.

If you are pleased with the present functionality and reliability of OpticsRE then by all means stick with that. :roll:
Andrew Welch, creator of WattPlot

JRHill
Forum Czar

Post by JRHill » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:42 pm

SEYLIONE wrote:Hi Andrew!
Up to now, I had discarded the AXS Port because it needs a computer and keyboard and mouse and screen to manage the system.
much more complicated than M3!
- are the commands with AXS as clear and easy as with M3?
- which 'simple software app' are you mentionning?
- and $$$ (or Ôé¼Ôé¼Ôé¼ in my case) ? I have spent quite enough on that issue
Will have a last go at M3 with my micro computer on all time. That should be in May when the melting snow lets me arrive to my spot (presently falling heavy)
Will report
Lionel
Lionel,

If you want an idea to compliment using the Mate3 I thought I'd mention what I'm using and that I really like. I have WattPlot running via WIFI on a 8" Toshiba tablet that hangs under a shelf above my desk. With the screen set at 800x600 and the Flexmax pen plot maximixed, it's perfect for a quick visual of how the day is going when I wake it up for a look-see. The tablet's power consumption isn't even worth considering. And I have VisualMate running on my laptop which I am working from on and off through the day. I really don't need to send remote commands any time soon so the current set up is perfect. However, I can see the time when I'll be going to an AXS port.

Best,
Jim

bluespur
Forum Expert
My RE system: VFX3024x2
Flexmax60x2
3000W total solar, 135w panel array and 220w panel array
Mate3
12xHawker Perfect Plus 8PZS120 FLA batteries
Own built generator Kubota D600 engine, 7.5Kw gen head

Post by bluespur » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:04 pm

Having been subject to this vexing (and now compounded by my mate3 not honoring the 4 hour reboot interval) problem, I cant help but wonder if at least part of the problem is due to the mate3 not setting a hostname when configured to use DHCP. I know DHCP addresses are assigned by macaddr, but my DHCP server appears to have some confusion due to the lack of hostname.
Or have I missed a setting somewhere that allows me to set a hostname?
Cheers
Garth

David LeBow
OutBack Management

Post by David LeBow » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:53 am

Thanks, Garth - hot tip. I'll start looking into that.
David LeBow
Sr. Director, Software Engineering

Alpha Technologies Inc. / OutBack Power Technologies
3767 Alpha Way Bellingham WA 98226 USA
http://www.alpha.com

SEYLIONE
Forum Guru
My RE system: Off grid house in the southern french Alps 1740m above sea
level. Commissioned 1st Jul 2012.

4 Bosch 245Wp Panels, 12 OPzS 2V 1 220Ah batteries
Management by OutbackPower: FP1-34 including:
FlexMax 80 Charger, GVFX3024E Converter-charger,
FlexNet DC, Hub, Mate3.

Monitoring every 3 hours over Internet (lsdx.eu/GPV_ZSDX)
by 3G managed by a local microcomputer and router.

Post by SEYLIONE » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:32 am

Back in my mountain to try to solve my monitoring problem

I have a FP1-34 with Mate3 monitored with the following :
Mate3-Cat5cable-Routermodem3G-Cat5cable-RaspberryPi-cat5cable-RoutermodemG-3Gdongle-lsdx.eu/GPV_ZSDX
The underlined itelms are lit up 5 minutes each hour (security) to read mate3 and send data to my web page.

It did work well in 2012-2013 then sputtered and stopped.
I can read 192.168.0.64 on my computer through WiFi
*I tried the USB add-on: cant be read by RaspberryPy (does not even appear)
I bought one month ago the AXS port from microenergie.com but did not receive the parcel yet

I tried to have my Raspberry Pi and Router on all time : Worked 10 minutes ago, off now OK after reboot

I am fedup with these problems and I am considering getting rid of that system whatever its quality on power management
and buy an efficient European system like that perfect SMA or Fronius

Any new information on that particular issue?

Lionel

mtnmerlin
Forum Member
My RE system: Mate3
CC Flexmax 80
INV Flexware 500
eight 170RE AGM batteries
six Suniva OPT 265 W modules

Post by mtnmerlin » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:01 am

My system has been offline since Nov. 30, 2016 (five months). It is in the mountains at 9,200 feet elevation and has been snowed in since then, so I cannot simply reboot the Mate3. I plan on trying to get there late this week to try and get it back online. It stayed up the previous winter on an old level of firmware. I wonder if I can go back to whatever level it was. Of course, a fix to the new firmware would be best. So, is there any news on this problem being fixed?

larrywa
Forum Guru
My RE system: FlexPower Two
2 x GVFX3648s,
2 x FM80s,
FNDC w/3 shunts,
Mate3 v3.015.005 (works excellent!)
Hub 10.3,
PV:1000W east@45, 600W west@45, 2400W south@19 deg.
Battery:48v @ 130Ahr Crown batteries, deep cycle <$380 for 6.25kWh

ISY994i HA, Insteon, X10, Philips Hue, MiLight bulbs & RGBW strips
WebControl 8 as weather station stuffing
ISY994 variables via REST interface

Raspberry Pi3 x 2, Pi1 B+

Post by larrywa » Wed May 03, 2017 9:03 am

Just so Outback can't deny they have ever heard of the problem before.

Fix your damn Ethenet connection healing firmware!

JRHill
Forum Czar

Post by JRHill » Wed May 03, 2017 9:48 am

larrywa wrote:Just so Outback can't deny they have ever heard of the problem before.

WattPlot. If you need remote access, AXS and WattPlot. Effective and cheap problem solution.

larrywa
Forum Guru
2 x GVFX3648s,
2 x FM80s,
FNDC w/3 shunts,
Hub 10.3,

Post by larrywa » Wed May 03, 2017 10:05 am

JRHill wrote:
larrywa wrote:Just so Outback can't deny they have ever heard of the problem before.

WattPlot. If you need remote access, AXS and WattPlot. Effective and cheap problem solution.
Will it fix the FM80 from blowing up occasionally?
I guess if OpticsRE has no access to my system it may.

Does WattPlot have a lockout that prevents it from trying to change settings with version changes? I guess that would be up to the Mate3 firmware to protect against that.

Will WattPlot support Fronius or other systems when I dump this one?

JRHill
Forum Czar

Post by JRHill » Wed May 03, 2017 10:11 am

larrywa wrote:
JRHill wrote:
larrywa wrote:... Will WattPlot support Fronius or other systems when I dump this one?
Best to ping Andrew on this stuff, I'm not a rep for WattPlot. One thing it most probably will do for you is reduce your blood pressure.

larrywa
Forum Guru
2 x GVFX3648s,
2 x FM80s,
FNDC w/3 shunts,
Hub 10.3,

Post by larrywa » Wed May 03, 2017 10:15 am

JRHill wrote:
Best to ping Andrew on this stuff, I'm not a rep for WattPlot. One thing it most probably will do for you is reduce your blood pressure.
I guess it shows :) ...thanks!

I could almost walk to his place.

outrigger999
Forum Guru

Post by outrigger999 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:00 pm

Here we are 1 year and 7 months from when I first made this post. This issue is still a primary issue with the Mate 3. Without it having an ability to recover from a network failure, I get large gaps in data, resets on a weekly basis, and an unreliable overall system. I've tried every type of connection, WIFI, Ethernet over Power, and of course I'm now hardwired--which was the most inconvenient for me but is required because the ethernet is unreliable. I thought with a hardwired ethernet connection my problems would stop but they are still there. Instead of daily resets I need to do weekly ones now.

If some of the secondary systems would work, which were designed to offset these issues in the first place, we might be able to close this thread. The fact of the matter is that the 4 hour gateway reset and the data backup don't work either. If my Mate 3 is rebooting on an interval (and therefore restoring my ethernet) I cannot tell. For sure, none of the missing data ever comes back so I have to live with the large gaps of missing data.

I would like to remind the folks at Outback that prior to OpticsRE, the Mate 3 did not have any ethernet issues that I recall--even on WIFI. Please fix this issue. Our lives would be made much easier if this device just did what it was meant to do.

larrywa
Forum Guru
2 x GVFX3648s,
2 x FM80s,
FNDC w/3 shunts,
Hub 10.3,

Post by larrywa » Wed May 03, 2017 1:03 pm

outrigger999 wrote:Here we are 1 year and 7 months from when I first made this post. This issue is still a primary issue with the Mate 3. Without it having an ability to recover from a network failure, I get large gaps in data, resets on a weekly basis, and an unreliable overall system. I've tried every type of connection, WIFI, Ethernet over Power, and of course I'm now hardwired--which was the most inconvenient for me but is required because the ethernet is unreliable. I thought with a hardwired ethernet connection my problems would stop but they are still there. Instead of daily resets I need to do weekly ones now.

If some of the secondary systems would work, which were designed to offset these issues in the first place, we might be able to close this thread. The fact of the matter is that the 4 hour gateway reset and the data backup don't work either. If my Mate 3 is rebooting on an interval (and therefore restoring my ethernet) I cannot tell. For sure, none of the missing data ever comes back so I have to live with the large gaps of missing data.

I would like to remind the folks at Outback that prior to OpticsRE, the Mate 3 did not have any ethernet issues that I recall--even on WIFI. Please fix this issue. Our lives would be made much easier if this device just did what it was meant to do.
I think we already have your answer from Outback...They just don't care and have gone out of their ways to prove it. They put their part time help on it. I won;t say summer student as many have http smart educations.

JRHill
Forum Czar

Post by JRHill » Wed May 03, 2017 4:03 pm

outrigger999 wrote:I would like to remind the folks at Outback that prior to OpticsRE, the Mate 3 did not have any ethernet issues.
Com'on people, get over it already. If you bought the Mate3 for OpticsRE for remote view or commands then suck it up - it doesn't work. As far as I'm concerned it was a work-in-process and not a key selling point for the upgrade of the Mate even when I purchased it several years back. This is not a government program. Its a private enterprise and they obviously have other priorities.

So do what is prudent: find an alternative that fits your needs. Outback is not going to open source the code. Others have already stepped in to cover the deficiency. It's a business opp but others have already resolved the issues so you're already late if you think you can do better. Sheesh...

Jim

larrywa
Forum Guru
2 x GVFX3648s,
2 x FM80s,
FNDC w/3 shunts,
Hub 10.3,

Post by larrywa » Thu May 04, 2017 5:49 am

Get over it?
Suck it up?

I would love to see OB suck it up and refund me my $16K I paid for this junk and I'll even suck up the hundreds of installation and frustration hours.

Maybe you could send me some compensation for equipment that doesn't function some of the time I you really want to support this failure. Let's say 10% of the costs.

I see you list quite close to OB headquarters. Maybe this has affected your outlook?

I don't support people being sold things that don't work and aren't being supported to even attempt to bring the basics to work. OB obviously knows very little about keeping sockets open or handling them and has demonstrated they don't care also over the last three years.

Maybe you are supporting a kickstarter project but this wasn't a kickstarter project for me, or for the few dozen? others debating to rip out their frustrations. In view of the effort to make things right and as sold, over the last three years,

Great business op for the legal hounds. I smell class action.

Good troll.

intellact
Forum Czar

Post by intellact » Thu May 04, 2017 8:36 am

jrhill wrote:
larrywa wrote: Does WattPlot have a lockout that prevents it from trying to change settings with version changes? I guess that would be up to the Mate3 firmware to protect against that.
Consider me pinged. :grin:

There is a lot of renewed effort at WattPlot these days. The well-established WattPlot 5 tools are now Modbus-compatible and we are working hard on an even newer generation of the tools. I can share some more information that I hope would be useful to you. (It probably exists in other threads too)...

MATE3 Firmware - what we can tell you

We try to keep a web page updated with what we have learned or gathered from others on MATE3 firmware news. Most of it is just a convenient list of links to threads in this forum. Here's some more details that I haven' t had a chance to put on the page yet...

One of our most dedicated testers has been running a WattPlot Modbus connection with the MATE3 003.009.000 firmware with no problem. :smile: We suspect that the 003.011.000 will run equally well. It was the 003.015.000 that did a number on the Network Data Stream (UDP/IP) and all evidence points to the fact that it also crippled the Modbus interface to the MATE3. :sad: The 003.015.001 did not address that issue. (Yes, I understand the frustration that 003.015.003 was recalled after its release, but that was the right thing to do if it made matters worse.)

On a positive note, 003.015.001 fixed the FTP issue. =D> This is a huge step for true remote monitoring - we can now access the data logs on the MATE3 SD Card without having to remove it from the device. (WattPlot is automating this, of course \:D/ )

So, as it stands, with the MATE3, you have a choice between continuous, error-free Modbus, OR remote FTP access. (As others have noted, the AXS Port benefits from the FTP fix but didn't have its Modbus clobbered, so we here at WattPlot are focusing on that device for a while. :smile:

Your Questions
larrywa wrote: Does WattPlot have a lockout that prevents it from trying to change settings with version changes? I guess that would be up to the Mate3 firmware to protect against that.
Actually, we can help with your first issue. Modbus gives us access to over 600 settings on your system, so we could capture your current settings, let you do the firmware upgrade, and then reload your settings - all automatically - so that this would not be an issue. (Unless they move Modbus registers around, which they did at one point. #-o We will try to warn you of that when we discover it. :wink: )

As to your second question, OutBack's good reputation for hardware quality remains pretty good, so I would focus on ways to keep the hardware and find a software solution that meets your needs. :smile: That being said, some of our clients do have a mix of devices from different suppliers. Now that we are focusing the next generation of WattPlot on Modbus, we are adding in the capability to support any manufacturer that also supports the Modbus protocol. It won't be happening overnight, but it is the direction we are headed in. :cool:

In summary, lots of things are happening. The WattPlot software is not perfect - it tries to do an awful lot for a lot of different protocols and the background equipment and specs are changing all the time. That being said, It has been around for over a decade, we are very responsive to ideas for new functionality, and when something doesn't work, we try hard to work with you one-on-one to solve the issue and get a patch out as quickly as possible. :smile:

larrywa
Forum Guru
2 x GVFX3648s,
2 x FM80s,
FNDC w/3 shunts,
Hub 10.3,

Post by larrywa » Thu May 04, 2017 9:04 am

intellact wrote:
jrhill wrote:
Consider me pinged. :grin:

There is a lot of renewed effort at WattPlot these days. The well-established WattPlot 5 tools are now Modbus-compatible and we are working hard on an even newer generation of the tools. I can share some more information that I hope would be useful to you. (It probably exists in other threads too)...

MATE3 Firmware - what we can tell you

We try to keep a web page updated with what we have learned or gathered from others on MATE3 firmware news. Most of it is just a convenient list of links to threads in this forum. Here's some more details that I haven' t had a chance to put on the page yet...

One of our most dedicated testers has been running a WattPlot Modbus connection with the MATE3 003.009.000 firmware with no problem. :smile: We suspect that the 003.011.000 will run equally well. It was the 003.015.000 that did a number on the Network Data Stream (UDP/IP) and all evidence points to the fact that it also crippled the Modbus interface to the MATE3. :sad: The 003.015.001 did not address that issue. (Yes, I understand the frustration that 003.015.003 was recalled after its release, but that was the right thing to do if it made matters worse.)

On a positive note, 003.015.001 fixed the FTP issue. =D> This is a huge step for true remote monitoring - we can now access the data logs on the MATE3 SD Card without having to remove it from the device. (WattPlot is automating this, of course \:D/ )

So, as it stands, with the MATE3, you have a choice between continuous, error-free Modbus, OR remote FTP access. (As others have noted, the AXS Port benefits from the FTP fix but didn't have its Modbus clobbered, so we here at WattPlot are focusing on that device for a while. :smile:

Your Questions
Actually, we can help with your first issue. Modbus gives us access to over 600 settings on your system, so we could capture your current settings, let you do the firmware upgrade, and then reload your settings - all automatically - so that this would not be an issue. (Unless they move Modbus registers around, which they did at one point. #-o We will try to warn you of that when we discover it. :wink: )

As to your second question, OutBack's good reputation for hardware quality remains pretty good, so I would focus on ways to keep the hardware and find a software solution that meets your needs. :smile: That being said, some of our clients do have a mix of devices from different suppliers. Now that we are focusing the next generation of WattPlot on Modbus, we are adding in the capability to support any manufacturer that also supports the Modbus protocol. It won't be happening overnight, but it is the direction we are headed in. :cool:

In summary, lots of things are happening. The WattPlot software is not perfect - it tries to do an awful lot for a lot of different protocols and the background equipment and specs are changing all the time. That being said, It has been around for over a decade, we are very responsive to ideas for new functionality, and when something doesn't work, we try hard to work with you one-on-one to solve the issue and get a patch out as quickly as possible. :smile:
Thanks Andrew and I appreciate your comments. Just really frustrated and I understand some of it trying to keep some sockets alive myself, here for ceiling light display animation so I am not really that net dumb. :)

I was living on their previous hardware reputation until mine arrived, terminal screws stripped on boards, wiring mostly fell out in my hand. IOW Before I could even run this beast I had to replace PCBs and reqire the whole thing with wiring sized up to meet the code. Yeah I know they match the code but not for three conductors in a conduit, needs to be derated. Hardware impressed? hmmmmm..... Now this lack of interest in helping the customers sold on features. I wonder if Radian user have the same problems. That side of the bridge shouldn't affect the ecternal though.

I may consider it but too busy right now with above for a huge personal event. Maybe in the fall, I could drop in with drinks for a demo. I would love to crack the modbus with some python3 that I have been torturing myself with lately. Half a dozen RPis are getting too many :) I assume wattPlot will run on a Pi?

intellact
Forum Czar

Post by intellact » Thu May 04, 2017 9:41 am

larrywa wrote:I would love to crack the modbus with some python3 that I have been torturing myself with lately. Half a dozen RPis are getting too many :) I assume wattPlot will run on a Pi?
Yeah, lots of folks ask about WattPlot on Pi and other small devices. The fact of the matter is that WattPlot was around long before such platforms became popular, so it was written using Windows development tools. Since its history was as a monitoring solution that had to be running in real time, many clients would throw an older-model PC into the equipment shed, plugged into the old MATE, so we were supporting Windows NT etc. in the early days.

Porting such complex software over to a completely new environment and language is totally non-trivial - especially when we sometimes stretch the limits of the existing environment :wink: . (And frankly, the revenue would not warrant the work. :???: )

However, the good news is that the next generation of WattPlot is designed to be more flexible. For example, the interface design of the WattPlot ACKcess tool is geared to a handheld device, and the code should (hopefully) be more portable. :smile:

outrigger999
Forum Guru

Post by outrigger999 » Fri May 05, 2017 12:47 pm

Hello, can someone explain how WattPlot continues to work even when OpticsRE does not? Are you saying that ethernet connectivity isn't completely dropped (on a frequent basis) but rather there is still some connectivity such that WattPlot can continue to work while OpticsRE is rendered useless? Please just clarify this for me. As an example, I downgraded my Mate 3 to 003.011.000 to see if that would improve my experience with OpticsRE. I did that yesterday at around noon and over night it again dropped the connection such that Optics RE does not have any morning data. I have a wired connection to the Mate 3 right from my incoming router and have not had an ISP outage in a long time! Are you saying that WattPlot will work in this case still and would still be humming away? I'll download the trial but in the meantime can someone explain whether they think that WattPlot will still be working in this case? Thanks...

Chrisserrant
Forum Whiz
My RE system: Flexware 500 VFX3524 5 FM80's 30 evegreen 220 1370 AH Forklift Battery Generac 16KW Gen MAte 3

Post by Chrisserrant » Fri May 05, 2017 7:13 pm

Just a FYI . As until release we dont know but the ne Rasberry Pi 4 suppose to be able to run windows.

http://www.itpro.co.uk/desktop-hardware ... foundation

SEYLIONE
Forum Guru
My RE system: Off grid house in the southern french Alps 1740m above sea
level. Commissioned 1st Jul 2012.

4 Bosch 245Wp Panels, 12 OPzS 2V 1 220Ah batteries
Management by OutbackPower: FP1-34 including:
FlexMax 80 Charger, GVFX3024E Converter-charger,
FlexNet DC, Hub, Mate3.

Monitoring every 3 hours over Internet (lsdx.eu/GPV_ZSDX)
by 3G managed by a local microcomputer and router.

Post by SEYLIONE » Sat May 06, 2017 12:24 am

Do you have accurate news abt Mate4?

outrigger999
Forum Guru

Post by outrigger999 » Sun May 07, 2017 1:26 pm

How about this...Does anyone have a Mate 3 which stays alive more than a week? Longer? If so, how do you have the Mate 3 configured and what type of internet connection do you have? Which firmware version, settings, ethernet (wired, wifi extender, etc). I have a grid tie enphase system as well as off grid and the enlighten controller has been running more than 3 months straight on my internet connection without a hiccup so I know I have a solid internet connection. Today both are wired ethernet so i'm puzzled why I cannot get the mate 3 to maintain connectivity. Last night I lost connectivity in the middle of the night again. I'm thinking it could be the reboot feature so I've turned that off for now but if there's memory leaks in the software, then the mate 3 will go down no matter what.

I'm running one more test...I've installed a 10/100 ethernet hub near my Mate 3. I have a fairly long run of ethernet, no where near 328ft of course but I was thinking there could be two other issues. First, it could be signal strength so I'm putting a hub in the middle to repeat the signal and boost the signal strength. Second, I was thinking that gigabit ethenet could also be the culprit. Therefore I've purposely put a 10/100 ethernet hub in between to see if that solves my longevity issue by reducing the "speed" of my connection and going to a more standard ethernet signal back when the mate 3 was built. Right now I have a good signal, OpticsRE shows my system to be online, and I'll see how long I last. I'll report back what I find out.

intellact
Forum Czar

Post by intellact » Sun May 07, 2017 1:56 pm

outrigger999 wrote:Hello, can someone explain how WattPlot continues to work even when OpticsRE does not? Are you saying that ethernet connectivity isn't completely dropped (on a frequent basis) but rather there is still some connectivity such that WattPlot can continue to work while OpticsRE is rendered useless? Please just clarify this for me. As an example, I downgraded my Mate 3 to 003.011.000 to see if that would improve my experience with OpticsRE. I did that yesterday at around noon and over night it again dropped the connection such that Optics RE does not have any morning data. I have a wired connection to the Mate 3 right from my incoming router and have not had an ISP outage in a long time! Are you saying that WattPlot will work in this case still and would still be humming away? I'll download the trial but in the meantime can someone explain whether they think that WattPlot will still be working in this case? Thanks...
I must confess that I have very little knowledge of OpticsRE. 8-[ That has always been one rabbit hole that I did not want to venture down.

What I can say is that there are a significant number of variables between client systems. When I posted that the MATE3 Modbus under 003.015.xxx would not stay running, I was talking about monitoring the MATE through a local router with a direct connection - no internet, no modems, etc. When I mentioned the client running 003.009.000 with no difficulties, I'm guessing they have a similar setup, so it looks like the firmware corrects that particular issue. Those 003.015.xxx problems may have nothing to do with what is causing many other people's remote OpticsRE connections to fail.

For example, there is this post about someone who traced their issues to interference with their wireless connection, but many others (like yourself) report problems on wired connections. :???:

Now the good news...

WattPlot is far more active and aware than the OpticsRE system, because it is focused on your system alone. If OpticsRE goes down, they want you to reboot the MATE3. If a MATE3 connection gets dropped in WattPlot, it is WattPlot that works hard to re-establish a connection. That alone may account for the fact that no-one is sending me emails about dropped connections, and you don't see complaints about WattPlot having inconsistent connectivity posted in this forum. :smile:

Of course, it used to be that WattPlot could only get data while it was running, or from an SD card that you had to physically remove from the MATE3. Now that the FTP issue has finally been resolved, WattPlot can get all your data, automatically, and doesn't have to be running all the time (unless you need real-time alerts!) :wink:

larrywa
Forum Guru
2 x GVFX3648s,
2 x FM80s,
FNDC w/3 shunts,
Hub 10.3,

Post by larrywa » Sun May 07, 2017 8:27 pm

You must be using pull technology to interrogate the Mate3 and herefore a different socket/connection/protocol.

Meanwhile the Mate3 must be using push technology to get the information to OpticsRE. I don't remember any body instructing me to open a port forwarding entry or other firewall hole in my router = different connection and/or protocol on the same cable. Having OpticsRE poll my Mate3 would be impossible for it to get through my router's firewall.

If I power cycle my router most of the time Mate3 won't reconnect. It just gives up too easily. Nothing from the outside is going to get any data using any technique after that. AFAIK nothing is going to get data on the LAN either.