FM80 meter/setting on Mate3 disappears

Mate3 and Mate3s communications devices for Outback Power

FM80 meter/setting on Mate3 disappears

Postby pzdia on Wed May 15, 2019 2:58 am

I bought a Flexone off a friend for my home as a backup, I added FM80 to the system in a month because it was not on the board at the time of purchase and I needed a PV system to help charge the battery since our grid supply here is erratic. The FM80 seem to work well showing all the parameter numbers working and the solar meter appeared on the mate3 display at first but later disappeared. I restarted both inverter and fm80 to see the mate3 response and also unplug/plug back the rj45 cable for the fm80 from the hub. Sometimes the solar pv meter appears on the mate3 and disappears after sometime. I tried changing the rj45 cable on the fm80 with the cable on the FNDC that is currently not working and that didn't solve the problem. I just purchased a new RJ45 cable to retry later at close of work; can I get help on how to get the solar pv meter and setting permanently on my mate?

Thank you,

Peter, Nigeria
pzdia
Forum Junior Member

My RE system:

Re: FM80 meter/setting on Mate3 disappears

Postby raysun on Wed May 15, 2019 8:05 am

It may be an issue with the Mate3 firmware. The latest can be downloaded to an SD card and used to update the Mate.
raysun
Forum Czar

My RE system:

Postby pzdia on Wed May 15, 2019 8:20 am

Thank you for your kind reply. I have updated the mate 3 to Version 003.019.000 (OPTICS RE) 3 days ago
pzdia
Forum Junior Member

My RE system:

Postby raysun on Wed May 15, 2019 8:34 am

So much for an easy fix.

You mentioned the FNDC not working. Any ideas why not?

The FlexPower One is also pre-wired with an FM80 charge controller. What happened to the original one?

Is there a possibility the FP One suffered some sort of electrical damage? From lightning perhaps?
raysun
Forum Czar

My RE system:

Postby pzdia on Wed May 15, 2019 8:50 am

The person I bought it from did not use Solar panel, he used it with grid and battery and maybe that was why he sold out the FM80 on the flexone board.I checked the FNDC and the -ve battery (white) cable seem disconnected and I will work toward finding a place to connect it shortly to see if it works.

The cc I fixed now is from a local supplier and my battery charges okay from the PV system and the cc parameter are okay; it just doesn't show on the mate3. I got a cat6 cable locally to try changing thee cable to see if there will be any permanent appearance of the solar pv meter on the mate; just troubleshooting
pzdia
Forum Junior Member

My RE system:

Postby raysun on Wed May 15, 2019 9:54 am

While connecting the FNDC, it would be a good time to make sure all the connections withing the wiring enclosures are properly torqued, check for corrosion, etc.
raysun
Forum Czar

My RE system:

Postby pzdia on Thu May 16, 2019 1:17 am

I think I fried my hub yesterday as I was reconnecting the FNDC cable; the black wire was connected to the +ve battery point while the white was left loosed. The green and green/while wire connected to the shunt on the inverter terminals were cut out, it is only the connection on the shunt that led to the FM80 connection that was left connected. I tired to take the while battery wire to the -ve battery terminal when I got a little start and my hub10 stopped blinking and mate 3 shutdown. I connected the inverter directly to mate 3 and it came up leaving my hub out. On the issue of my FM80 cc, I did a reset and the mate3 first displaced "unknown product found" before displaying the port selection but the meter bar and pv icon did NOT appear, the only thing that appeared on the mate is "500.v".

The system is still working okay, inverter charging with grid and FM80 charging with the sun. My question is what can I do on the above, hub, FM80 for the mate to recognise it? How can I independently test if the FNDC is still working? Can I bring my hub to life or must buy a new one? Will there be a conflict between the inverter charging from grid and CC charging same battery from the PV without the hub communication and the mate? Is the battery and system safe in this connection?
pzdia
Forum Junior Member

My RE system:

Return to Mate3 / Mate3s