AGS will not start generator all of a sudden.

Mate3 and Mate3s communications devices for Outback Power
Zip92
Forum Whiz
My RE system: Canadian Remote Cabin - Solar + Diesel Gen
COMM: Mate3s
INV: x2 VFX3524
CC1: MX-60
CC2: Conext MPPT 80
SOLAR1: 6x 123w (Sharp ND-L3EJEA)
SOLAR2: 12x 250w
BATT: RollsSurrette 24v (2v x 12) S2-1275AGM
GEN: Cummins 10kw Deisel w/ Atkinson GSCM Mini D

AGS will not start generator all of a sudden.

Post by Zip92 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:05 pm

A new issue started just last week for me. My Mate3s has been starting the generator as required (based on voltage) all winter so far. Location: remote cabin in Ontario.

One week ago, while I was at the cabin, the Mate3s failed to shut off the generator after it was started by the Mate3s (runtime is usually 3.5hrs). I had to turn off the generator manually. I then rebooted the Mate3s by disconnecting the green cable and ensured the AGS was in AUTO mode once it booted back up. (auto reboot is also enabled every 24hrs).

Since then, the Mate3s will not automatically start the generator; causing me to have to start it manually by using my remote relay switches I have setup. I get the email notification saying that the AGS low voltage start has initiated... then minutes later, another notification that it failed and will shutdown.

Further, tonight, when i started the generator manually, the Mate3s would not switch over to accept AC Input. On OpticsRE, I had to tell it the generator was on by turning the GENERATOR status to ON, and then switching AC INPUT over the the USE position.

Cheers.

blackswan555
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Re: AGS will not start generator all of a sudden.

Post by blackswan555 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:10 am

I get the email notification saying that the AGS low voltage start has initiated... then minutes later, another notification that it failed and will shutdown.
Do you get an AGS error with this ? If so I would start by looking at your aux relay to gen then on to gen as the problem is almost definitely generator "side" of things if you are seeing the error message,

AGS error is pretty dumb , AGS switches aux 12v output on,,,, waits set amount of time (programable, IIRC 17mins default) to "see" within specification mains coming in from gen, If it does not, it errors,

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.

Zip92
Forum Whiz
My RE system: Canadian Remote Cabin - Solar + Diesel Gen
COMM: Mate3s
INV: x2 VFX3524
CC1: MX-60
CC2: Conext MPPT 80
SOLAR1: 6x 123w (Sharp ND-L3EJEA)
SOLAR2: 12x 250w
BATT: RollsSurrette 24v (2v x 12) S2-1275AGM
GEN: Cummins 10kw Deisel w/ Atkinson GSCM Mini D

Re: AGS will not start generator all of a sudden.

Post by Zip92 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:13 am

Thank you Tim. I will troubleshoot the GSCM (gen start control module) and see if the problem lies there.