MATE3S has gone offline ...

Mate3 and Mate3s communications devices for Outback Power

MATE3S has gone offline ...

Postby 74_105_109 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:07 pm

So I installed the FLEXpower One (FP1 w/VFXR3648A inverter) at my family's cabin in the Idaho panhandle, towards the end of December 2017. I'm not a professional installer, but feel comfortable taking on these kinds of projects, thanks to forums such as this one, good product documentaion and my background "building and fixing stuff". The install was drama-free and I really like the "prewired-hang-on-the-wall" concept. Used the MATE3S (which I understand is new, and replaces the MATE3) to change settings for the system and the 830Ah battery bank. Since my initial reason for installing the FP1 was to provide backup power in case the grid power fails for a period of time, the ability to remotely monitor and manage the FP1 was/is really important to me. After hooking up OpticsRE, I could then see my system online as well as tweak settings, pretty cool!

Well my wife and I returned home to western Washington for the holidays, but we felt really good knowing that we now had an autonomous backup power solution in place!
Hadn't been home a week before the an outtage hit the cabin knocking the grid down for about 23 hours, but by using OpticsRE remotely, I was now able to see electricity flowing from the battery bank to the cabin's loads! The grid power returned and soon the battery bank returned to %100 SOC.

Unfortunately, on 1/14/2018 the MATE3S went offline (as read from OpticsRE - Event History) and has not come back online since! So no remote site monitoring/management via OpticsRE. I know the internet/LAN is working at the cabin since I have a web-cam there and it's working fine. (plugged into the same network switch as the MATE3S)

So here are my questions:

1. Who has experienced a MATE3S going offline and not coming back online?

2. How frequently has this happened to your MATE3S?

3. How did you get it back online?

Thanks,
Jim
74_105_109
Forum Junior Member

My RE system: Outback FLEXpower One:
- grid-tied VFXR3648A inverter, f/w: 1.6.63
- FLEXmax 80 Charge Controller, f/w: 3.3.0
- FLEXnet DC, f/w: 1.1.71
- HUB10.3,
- MATE3S, f/w: 1.2.1
- RTS
- OpticsRE, remote monitoring
Battery Bank:
- (16) Fullriver DC400-6 AGM 6V at 830Ah
Panels:
- to be added in 2018!
OpticsRE Site: PL FlexPower One
Commisioned: December, 22, 2017

Re: MATE3S has gone offline ...

Postby David LeBow on Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:14 pm

Hi Jim,

The OpticsRE Knowledge Base can be found here: https://opticsre.uservoice.com/knowledgebase

There are a couple of relevant articles there:

* https://opticsre.uservoice.com/knowledg ... is-offline
* https://opticsre.uservoice.com/knowledg ... is-offline

Hope that helps.

David
David LeBow
Vice President, Software Engineering

Alpha Technologies Inc. / OutBack Power Technologies
3767 Alpha Way Bellingham WA 98226 USA
http://www.alpha.com
David LeBow
OutBack Management

Postby 74_105_109 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:37 pm

Hello David,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I checked out the links you referenced. As you can imagine power-cycling the MATE3S is not really practical when you're in another state.

I will say, previous to posting, I researched the MATE3 (not the new MATE3S) and the recurring offline issues many users here have experienced. My hope is the new MATE3S does not have these network issues, but I have no way of knowing if current users of the MATE3S have experienced instances where their MATE3S has gone offline or unable to recover from a network hiccup.

I will update the MATE3S firmware to 1.2.0 and set AUTO REBOOT to "ON" the next time I'm at the cabin.

Thanks,
Jim
74_105_109
Forum Junior Member

- HUB10.3,
- RTS
Battery Bank:
- (16) Fullriver DC400-6 AGM 6V at 830Ah
Panels:
- to be added in 2018!
OpticsRE Site: PL FlexPower One
Commisioned: December, 22, 2017

Postby David LeBow on Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:57 pm

We're also hot on the heels of some of the Mate3 connectivity issues as well. I've convinced The Powers That Be that these are high priority issues which need fixing. We have significantly improved things in the 12 months or so of my bitter whining, but there are still issues we're beating out of the bushes.

Since you're so far from the device, the auto-reboot interval might be the best way to go.

David
David LeBow
Vice President, Software Engineering

Alpha Technologies Inc. / OutBack Power Technologies
3767 Alpha Way Bellingham WA 98226 USA
http://www.alpha.com
David LeBow
OutBack Management

Postby intellact on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:58 pm

74_105_109 wrote:My hope is the new MATE3S does not have these network issues, but I have no way of knowing if current users of the MATE3S have experienced instances where their MATE3S has gone offline or unable to recover from a network hiccup.

Hey Jim:

You may be just the person I'm looking for! :smile:

We have been running field trials on a new remote monitoring/setting tool, running with both MATE3 and MATE3S installations, and making great progress on reliable connectivity.

One of the tests that we have been anxious to run is to see if this tool will successfully connect to a MATE3/S that claims to be otherwise "Offline".

If you would be willing to run a quick test from your home, we might learn a lot - and you might get some access back before your return to Idaho! :smile:
Please let me know if you are up for a free trial. You can get more information on this page.
Andrew Welch, creator of WattPlot
intellact
Forum Czar

Postby Megunticook on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:19 am

Jim--I installed a FlexPower system with the Mate3s this fall and had connectivity issues right out of the box--couldn't even get the MATE to display the OpticsRE screen by hitting the Port button while on the home screen. After much troubleshooting, Outback shipped out a new Mate, and while it was in transit the original started working and I had full OpticsRE functionality for a solid week. Then yesterday afternoon it disappeared again. I swapped in the new MATE and it's up and running once again.

It's possible there was a bad batch of the new MATE3s?

I do have the 24 hour reboot enabled, by the way.
Megunticook
Forum Expert

My RE system: 6.4 kW solar array (21 QCell 305 panels in strings of 3)
GS8048A FLEXpower Radian (Radian 8048A, 2 FlexMax 80 cc's, Mate 3s, FlexNet DC, Hub)
8x6v Rolls-Surette 550 FLA batteries, 428AH

Postby 74_105_109 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:21 pm

David LeBow wrote: I've convinced The Powers That Be that these are high priority issues which need fixing. We have significantly improved things in the 12 months or so of my bitter whining, but there are still issues we're beating out of the bushes.

David, all I can add is - keep up the bitter whining! :grin:

intellact wrote:if you would be willing to run a quick test from your home, we might learn a lot - and you might get some access back before your return to Idaho!
Please let me know if you are up for a free trial.

Andrew, visited your link and I'm definitely interested in learning more about your ACKcess tool.

Megunticook wrote:Jim--I installed a FlexPower system with the Mate3s this fall and had connectivity issues right out of the box--couldn't even get the MATE to display the OpticsRE screen by hitting the Port button while on the home screen. After much troubleshooting, Outback shipped out a new Mate, and while it was in transit the original started working and I had full OpticsRE functionality for a solid week. Then yesterday afternoon it disappeared again. I swapped in the new MATE and it's up and running once again.

It's possible there was a bad batch of the new MATE3s?

I do have the 24 hour reboot enabled, by the way.

Megunticook, I'll be very interested to know how long your new replacement MATE3S stays online. MIne is still offline :roll:

Jim
74_105_109
Forum Junior Member

- HUB10.3,
- RTS
Battery Bank: