Maximum Battery Charge not working

Mate3 and Mate3s communications devices for Outback Power

Maximum Battery Charge not working

Postby gtarolli on Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:28 pm

I tested out the max bat. charge today, set the limit to 50 amps and watched my system which can generate about 130 amps peak. Below are 2 images that show the limit set in the Mate3 did not work, as the shunts show over 86 amps going into the batteries when the limit was set to 50 amps. The Mate3 manual says something a little ambiguous in the Global Charger Output Control: "The FLEXmax charge controllers must be set to GT Mode in order to establish priority for this function.". I was hoping that meant for the priority of the inverter vs charge controllers, but apparently it disables this function entirely. I am off-grid so I do NOT want to enable Grid Tie (GT) mode as that might mess other things up, but I would like to limit the max charge amps. Fortunately my 5 LIFP batteries can accept 150 amps total which is more than my panels can produce, but I might add more panels in the future. I think this feature could be dangerously misleading in thinking you are protecting your batteries when in reality you are not. The workaround is to limit the FMxx boxes to max amps/N where N is the number of controllers. However, that is not ideal.

Dashboard.jpg

MateGC.jpg
gtarolli
Forum Whiz

My RE system: Outback: off-grid
- 1 GS8048A, Mate3, FlexNetDC, Hub10.3
- 2 FLEXmax 80
- 21 (7x3) SolarWorld 300w (6300w)
- 5 SimpliPhi 3.4 kWh LI batteries (335ah)
- 1 Honda 3000 generator + one spare

Re: Maximum Battery Charge not working

Postby Greg T Fordan on Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:29 pm

Try this: Go to Device maps/Click cc#8/Click Battery Charging tab/Adjust Current limit to 25ADC/ Click apply.
Repeat that on CC#9
Greg T Fordan
EngTech
Outback Power Technologies
Greg T Fordan
OutBack Technical Service

My RE system: Radian, FM80, FNDC, 48V batt bank

Re: Maximum Battery Charge not working

Postby gtarolli on Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:38 pm

Yes, I am sure limiting each CC to 25 amps would limit the total to 50, but that is not ideal, as some panels may be shaded or pointed in a different direction and you want each to be able to exceed 25 in these circumstances. You really want a maximum for all CC's imposed that is flexible. I am fortunate that I do not have to limit them (yet), but I wonder if others who are in off-grid mode realize the global setting does not work. I think this should be made very clear in the manual, as it could lead to exceeding the battery limits if one is not aware.
gtarolli
Forum Whiz

My RE system: Outback: off-grid
- 1 GS8048A, Mate3, FlexNetDC, Hub10.3
- 2 FLEXmax 80
- 21 (7x3) SolarWorld 300w (6300w)
- 5 SimpliPhi 3.4 kWh LI batteries (335ah)
- 1 Honda 3000 generator + one spare

Return to Mate3 / Mate3s