Outback Hub
Trace DC breaker and shunt box
Lifeline GPL-8DL x4 = 12.2 kWh @ 48 volts
Running OpticsRE since March 2020

reboot MATE3s

Post by Heimhenge » Tue May 19, 2020 1:41 pm

I know this topic has been discussed before:

viewtopic.php?t=13364&sid=5186f1a1b9a9b ... d6940639c2

but just wanted to say that David LeBow's suggestion worked perfectly for me. My system had been running fine for 3 months after install. Today I walked into the shop and noticed the MATE3s display was blank. Only the battery soft key showing. No green flashing LED on the FX100 either. The inverter was running and it was a bright sunny day. No grid outages or lightning. Strange. OpticsRE showed power from the panels to the battery but nothing flowing anywhere else.

So I went to OpticsRE and did the: System Tools/Devices/MATE3s (scroll right)/Configuration (scroll down)/Reset Gateway

and after a few seconds all was back to normal. Thanks Dave!

So here's my question ... what just happened? This is the first and only occurrence of this glitch since I had the system installed. Nice to know how to fix it. I won't panic as much next time. :) Should I expect this to happen occasionally simply because "the MATE3s is a computer"?

raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower One: FX3048T, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Outback 200NC batteries (8 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 6 strings of 2 in series)
Hyundai 355 watt panels (6 - 3 strings of 2 in series)
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Re: reboot MATE3s

Post by raysun » Tue May 19, 2020 5:04 pm

I'd say from 4 years of using a Mate3/3s the answer is no, it's not expected or routine behavior.

I'd also say in that 2 days ago, I too experienced an anomalous event with my Mate3s. Inverter not showing power output in Optics, keys slow or unresponsive, acting very strange. Restarting the Mate didn't solve the issue. I finally reloaded the firmware and everything is back to normal.

I'm not saying these events are in any way related, but am saying they are certainly anomalous.

Heimhenge
Forum Guru
My RE system: 9 CSUN 390W panels for 3.51 kW
UniStrut PV rack on a flat roof
Midnight Solar MNPV3 combiner box w/ breakers
Outback Radian GS4048A-01 inverter
Outback FM100 charge controller
Outback FLEXnet DC monitor
Outback MATE3s system controller
Outback Hub

Post by Heimhenge » Tue May 19, 2020 5:48 pm

Good to know that reloading the firmware is yet another option, thanks raysun. Not much I can do at this point is wait to see if it happens again and what it takes to fix it. Hoping others weigh in with their experiences.

provo
Forum Guru
My RE system: Sixteen Evergreen EC-120
(4 strings, total 1920W)
Eight Rolls S-550 (2 strings, total ~800Ah @ 24V)
One FM80
One VFXR3524A
Hub 10
Mate3s
Trimetric

Post by provo » Tue May 19, 2020 6:17 pm

Heimhenge wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:48 pm
Good to know that reloading the firmware is yet another option, thanks raysun. Not much I can do at this point is wait to see if it happens again and what it takes to fix it. Hoping others weigh in with their experiences.
Well it happens that my Mate3s froze up just a couple days ago also. You may know this already, but if you're close to your Mate you can reset it by pulling out the Cat5 cable, waiting a few seconds, and plugging it back in. I've had to do that maybe once a year on average, this last time the Hot Keys weren't responding, and then I realized the Lock button and "wheel" were dead too. There was something on the display, so it looked fine from a distance!

This most recent time was when I first discovered that my Mate can't read SDHC cards anymore, for which raysun found the bootloader solution...

Heimhenge
Forum Guru
Outback Hub

Post by Heimhenge » Wed May 20, 2020 9:58 am

Pulling the CAT5 cable is a good trick to know, but in my case the MATE3s is mounted to a plywood surface and connected through the back. So I'd need to remove 4 screws to access it. Wouldn't take too long if I had to do it but really prefer the gateway reset via OpticsRE. If the MATE3s menu isn't frozen (as it mostly was in my case) you can go in and set it to automatically reboot every 24 hours but there's no other choices like a "reboot now" option, so you have to wait 24 hours. Would be nice to see "reboot now" included in a future firmware update.

Which makes me wonder ... why would anyone want to set it to reboot every 24 hours? Is it just like the advice to reboot a personal computer every once in a while to clear memory leaks and other accumulated trash?

raysun
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Flexpower One: FX3048T, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Outback 200NC batteries (8 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 6 strings of 2 in series)
Hyundai 355 watt panels (6 - 3 strings of 2 in series)
Honda EU7000is gas fuel generator

Post by raysun » Wed May 20, 2020 10:31 am

Heimhenge wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:58 am
Pulling the CAT5 cable is a good trick to know, but in my case the MATE3s is mounted to a plywood surface and connected through the back. So I'd need to remove 4 screws to access it. Wouldn't take too long if I had to do it but really prefer the gateway reset via OpticsRE. If the MATE3s menu isn't frozen (as it mostly was in my case) you can go in and set it to automatically reboot every 24 hours but there's no other choices like a "reboot now" option, so you have to wait 24 hours. Would be nice to see "reboot now" included in a future firmware update.

Which makes me wonder ... why would anyone want to set it to reboot every 24 hours? Is it just like the advice to reboot a personal computer every once in a while to clear memory leaks and other accumulated trash?
Instead of disconnecting the cable at the back of the Mate, most of us disconnect it at the Hub, which is usually more accessible.

The "Reset Gateway" function was put in place as a work-around for the ethernet processor not reconnecting after a network outage. IME, it didn't really work all that well in every instance, and a manual reset was still needed on many occasions. I find that true today with the Mate3s and latest firmware, though less frequent than previously.

I've never really looked through the Mate3s menu for a "Reset Gateway Now" option because it's easier to pull the RJ45 connection from the Hub than press buttons.

Heimhenge
Forum Guru
Outback Hub

Post by Heimhenge » Wed May 20, 2020 10:58 am

I get that. But my Hub is mounted to the same plywood panel and is also accessed through the back. Maybe I should add a panel-mounted push-button 8-pole momentary disconnect switch between the MATE3s and Hub. :)

But seriously folks ... why would anyone want to enable that 24 hr auto reset function?