Mate 3 Voltage Calibration

Mate3 and Mate3s communications devices for Outback Power
ForeverHomestead
Forum Member
My RE system: Radion 8000w Inverter, Load Center, Mate3, FNDC, Hub 10, Midnight Classic Controller x3, 10 Kw Array, Generac Ecogen, PV Combiner Box x2, Midnight Solar Birdhouse

Mate 3 Voltage Calibration

Post by ForeverHomestead » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:35 am

I am running my Generator allot right now for the first time. Up to this point have only really used allot of power over the summer when my batteries were always charged by the sun. Right now I am notiving about a 1 volt difference between the actual voltage and the voltage that the Mate 3 displays. My midnight Charge Controllers have the right voltage. I have adjusted the voltogae through calibration in a few places but I must be missing something. When my system shows voltage at 90% it is actualy lower. This is becoming an issue because the charging stops early.

If my mate 3 is showing 50V, the actual is 49, or 48.8 Where and how should I change this? I have changed in the calibrate for the mate 3 but it still shows incorrect

Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering
My RE system: VFX3524, Mate3, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Re: Mate 3 Voltage Calibration

Post by Kurt Lundquist » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:49 am

The battery voltage that you see next to the Battery Symbol on the Mate3s screen comes from the FNDC battery monitor.

Here is a write-up on how to calibrate the FNDC in the field http://www.outbackpower.com/downloads/d ... p_note.pdf.

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Renewable Energy Project Engineer
http://alphaenergy.us/

ForeverHomestead
Forum Member
My RE system: Radion 8000w Inverter, Load Center, Mate3, FNDC, Hub 10, Midnight Classic Controller x3, 10 Kw Array, Generac Ecogen, PV Combiner Box x2, Midnight Solar Birdhouse

Post by ForeverHomestead » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:32 pm

Thanks Kurt.

That seems like pain in the butt. LOL

Is this the voltage that the system uses for charging times or is this just for me to see the voltage?

Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering
My RE system: VFX3524, Mate3, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Post by Kurt Lundquist » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:22 am

ForeverHomestead wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:32 pm
Is this the voltage that the system uses for charging times or is this just for me to see the voltage?
It does not have an effect on charging unless you have FNDC Charge Termination enabled. The state of charge percentage will be less accurate unless you adjust the charged voltage to compensate for the calibration.

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Renewable Energy Project Engineer
http://alphaenergy.us/

ForeverHomestead
Forum Member

Post by ForeverHomestead » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:26 am

Thanks for the info. I will make the adjustment. I am struggling a bit with getting the bugs worked out so I should do everything I can. I am a bit surprised with how much the generator has to run in the Winter. The joys of being off grid. A big learning curve for sure.