MATE3s firmware update 001.003.000

Mate3 and Mate3s communications devices for Outback Power

MATE3s firmware update 001.003.000

Postby Colette Murray on Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:24 am

We’re excited to announce a MATE3s firmware update 1.3.0! This firmware update includes many bug fixes and enhancements that will improve your user experience. Please visit our website to download the files.
http://outbackpower.com/resources/technical-support/firmware-updates/item/mate3s-firmware-updates

Version 001.003.001
Contents of the Release: Bug fixes and Enhancements
Release date: June 2018
Additional Information:

Bug Fixes:
• Fixed issues with Mate3s connectivity to Optics that would cause connections to drop, large data spikes to appear, data stream and ModBus communication to go down periodically, DHCP enable/disable to not work correctly, and inverters getting deselected in Optics.
• Fixed issues with the internal Web page not loading, and conformed internal Web page version number to the firmware release version number for consistency.
• Fixed issue that caused a large number of on-site change events to post.
• Fixed issue that caused a firmware update error to appear in Event History.
• Fixed issue that caused FLEXNet-DC "Charge Parms Met" event to not post.
• Fixed issue that caused saved settings of Upper Voltage Limit value of 256 and 258 to produce 0 and 2 respectively when restored.
• Fixed issue that could cause Setup Page Hold and Delay Settings to be off by a factor of ten.
• Fixed issue that could cause the AC Input LED to not light when AC input power is present.
• Fixed issue that could cause the GMT timestamp to be improperly set on certain startup conditions.
• Fixed issue that could cause very large numbers to appear in AC Input Current.
• Fixed issue that could cause distortion of characters in the LCD.
• Fixed issue that could cause a mismatch of settings for AC Amps between the status screen soft key and the Inverter AC Input and Current Limits settings.
• Fixed issue that could cause settings to revert to pre-load of a GIP file when Mate3 is power-cycled.
• Fixed issue that could cause settings changed locally on charge controllers (or while the charge controller was not connected to Optics) to not properly update Optics.
• Fixed issue that could cause AC Input Limits to display at 4x the actual setting for up to three minutes before the display updates to show the correct value.
• Fixed issue in the Profile Wizard that caused the scroll value to roll over from 60 to 0 without allowing the user to scroll back to 60, so the user would have to scroll from 0 up to 60 to effectively scroll back one.
• Fixed an issue that caused incorrect values to appear for input and output current and power for an FNDC.
• Fixed and improved replay functionality.
• Fixed an issue the might disable the update soft key when a FM-100 is in the same system as a non-FM charge controller.
• Fixed an issue where loading setting from a GIP file may not restore 'Start Freq Low' and 'Restart Freq Low'.
• Fixed an issue where Ethernet processor may not start immediately after power up. Could cause connection issues.
• Fixed an issue where the internal webpage may not start properly if Ethernet connectivity is lost.

Enhancements:
• Updated internal Web page links to point to the new OutBack Power Web site resources.
• Added support for data streams for FXR inverters.
• Improved some event history messages in Optics.
• Improved FXR support to discern between Grid (AC1) input and GEN (AC2) for reporting to Optics.

Other Changes:
• Removed "PF Priority" from the Multi-Function Parameter screen as it is no longer supported.
Colette Murray
Sr. Product Manager

OutBack Power Technologies, Inc.
www.outbackpower.com
Colette Murray
OutBack Product Management

Re: MATE3s firmware update 001.003.000

Postby inlandsolar on Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:20 pm

When I download the firmware files to the SD card, should I overwrite the old files?

Thank you
inlandsolar
Forum Junior Member

Postby Colette Murray on Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 am

You should use a blank SD card, so remove any previous files before loading the new ones or use a new SD card. This will help ensure that no unwanted or conflicting files are carried over.
Colette Murray
Sr. Product Manager

www.outbackpower.com
Colette Murray

Postby inlandsolar on Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:50 am

I used the SD card that came with the Mate3s that I just purchased. Is this not correct? It has files on it already, should I delete those before placing the firmware files?
inlandsolar
Forum Junior Member

Postby Colette Murray on Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:08 am

You can use the SD card that came with your MATE3s, but it would be best to remove the previous files before loading the new firmware. It will not hurt anything if you mix the files, but the system will work better with files from only one firmware version.
Colette Murray
Sr. Product Manager

www.outbackpower.com
Colette Murray

Postby marscan on Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:10 pm

M3s.bin not found on SD card
Any idea why I'm getting this error message on the mate 3 s
marscan
Forum Member

My RE system: Radian 4048, Flexmax 80, Mate 3s, Li-ion batteries, Flexnet DC

Postby Colette Murray on Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:30 am

Is occurring before or after attempting to load updated firmware? There is an M3s.bin file in the firmware download available on our website, so you may try to download the file package to your SD card again.
Colette Murray
Sr. Product Manager

www.outbackpower.com
Colette Murray

Postby marscan on Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:06 am

M3s.bin not found on sd card is occurring after attempting to load update firmware. Have erased all previous files, then downloaded firmware onto SD card multiple times on multiple different computers with same result
Please advise
marscan
Forum Member

Postby Colette Murray on Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:25 am

What size SD card are you using? The M3s.bin is the largest of the files at 381 KB (263 KB compressed), so I wonder if the the card is out of space?
Colette Murray
Sr. Product Manager

www.outbackpower.com
Colette Murray

Postby marscan on Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:20 am

8 gb, I deleted all files before downloading firmware
marscan
Forum Member

Postby Solarphil on Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:03 pm

Make sure you copy the update files directly to the root of your SD card's folder - if they're in a subfolder, you'll get that error. During the update process the Mate3 only looks in the root directory (it doesn't/can't scan subfolders), and the first thing it looks for is the M3s.bin file. If it's in a subfolder then it can't see it and will return that error message.
Philip Undercuffler
Director of Government and Industry Relations
OutBack Power Technologies
Solarphil

My RE system: 1.5kW mutt mix of BP 5170s, BP 590s and Kyocera 51s
FX2024, from way back when dirt was new and before god invented the turbo
860AH @ 24V Surrette industrials
Blue Sky, Morningstar and Outback MPPT controllers
Custom mix of FW1000, FW500 and APT Powercenter BOS

Postby marscan on Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:21 am

Phil;
Thank you, that did it. I reviewed the installation video, but didn't see anything about removing the files from the subfolder.
Mark
marscan
Forum Member

Postby theartoflogic on Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:26 pm

I’m trying to update the firmware and it seems to only be updating the Ethernet firmware. The Mate3S firmware is still at v001.000.000. I’ve tried everything I can think of, but it still won’t ever update fully.

When I press Update it goes straight to the “Updating Ethernet firmware” screen. It’s seems to skip the rest of the update process that’s shown in the video (such as “Copying files”). I suspect that’s why it’s not updating fully, but I don’t know why it’s skipping the rest of the update steps.

Also, the update notes say it shouldn’t reset any settings when updating the firmware, but it does reset a lot of settings every time I try to update the firmware. I have to re-enable DHCP under Ethernet settings, I have to re-enter all of my OpticsRE settings, etc. It definitely seems like the update isn’t doing what it’s supposed to be doing.

What can I do to make this thing update properly?
theartoflogic
Forum Junior Member

My RE system: MATE3S
Radian GS8048A
FM80-150VDC x2
FLEXnet DC

Postby CaptGregSTX on Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:16 am

Ditto...I'm on original Mates3s firmware and have tried a dozen times to get the new firmware installed, but it keeps resetting right when the progress bar on "updating Ethernet" reaches about 80% complete. It then reboots and the configuration is reset.

I also can't seem to get the Ethernet port active, no lights on back of Mate3s, tried multiple computers, hubs, and routers, still no luck getting Ethernet port to work; was hoping firmware update would resolve this, but can't get firmware update to complete...Ugh.

Any suggestions? Do I have a bad Mate3s unit?
CaptGregSTX
Forum Member

Postby Solarphil on Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:11 pm

I talked with our tech support team and they suspect a corrupt file and suggested doing a full bootloader update. Try the following steps:

Make sure you've got the most recent firmware copied over to a blank SD card, with the file folder unzipped and all files copied over to the root directory of the card.
Insert the SD card into the MATE3s
Unplug the Ethernet cable
Unplug the cable coming from the Hub to the MATE3s so the Mate is powered down
While holding down the Port button, plug the Hub cable back in. (you can release the button once the update starts)

This forces a bootloader update, which should overwrite any corrupted files.

If that's not successful, give our tech support team a call and they can work through the next steps with you
Philip Undercuffler
OutBack Power Technologies
Solarphil

My RE system: 1.5kW mutt mix of BP 5170s, BP 590s and Kyocera 51s
FX2024, from way back when dirt was new and before god invented the turbo
860AH @ 24V Surrette industrials
Blue Sky, Morningstar and Outback MPPT controllers
Custom mix of FW1000, FW500 and APT Powercenter BOS

Postby CaptGregSTX on Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:11 am

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the full bootloader update failed as well. Also, my Mate3s keeps rebooting after several "clicks" through the setup menus; its really weird, but hoping that I can somehow get the firmware to update then the rebooting issue will be resolved and Ethernet port will work. Below (I hope) are the images of the Mate3s screens while trying to update.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hypfNh ... 0M4j9/view

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12_R3y ... wqHx837dhI

I'll call the tech support team later this morning for some more help.

Thanks.
CaptGregSTX
Forum Member

Postby CaptGregSTX on Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:02 am

After trying reach Outback Support without success; I am reaching back out to see if anyone knows if there is a way to force firmware onto the Mate 3s other than the bootloader (hold port button down while powering up) mode?

I am so frustrated with the dead ethernet port and continual reboots and reverting to default settings.

Any guidance would be very helpful!

Thanks.
CaptGregSTX
Forum Member

Postby CaptGregSTX on Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:53 am

Does anyone have a good contact within Outback for support? I've tried the online forms, calling, emailing, etc. and just haven't gotten a response. Any guidance would be very much appreciated.
CaptGregSTX
Forum Member

Postby djohnson on Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:12 am

CaptGregSTX wrote:Does anyone have a good contact within Outback for support? I've tried the online forms, calling, emailing, etc. and just haven't gotten a response. Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Hello,

Please send me a PM with your contact phone number and I'll give you a call.

Thanks
-David
17825 59th Ave NE, Suite B
Arlington, WA 98223
djohnson
OutBack Technical Service

My RE system: [VFXR3524A - v1.6.63] [Mate3S - v1.2.1] [FM80 x2] [FNDC]

Postby CaptGregSTX on Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:28 pm

David, you are the best! Thanks so much for your help. Unfortunately, it appears as though I had a bad unit. As soon as I plugged the new Mate 3s into the system, everything has worked perfectly...no reboots, ethernet works great, now connected to Optics RE, and firmware update went smoothly. Thanks a ton for your help!

-Greg
St. Croix, USVI
CaptGregSTX
Forum Member

Postby djohnson on Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:31 pm

CaptGregSTX wrote:David, you are the best! Thanks so much for your help. Unfortunately, it appears as though I had a bad unit. As soon as I plugged the new Mate 3s into the system, everything has worked perfectly...no reboots, ethernet works great, now connected to Optics RE, and firmware update went smoothly. Thanks a ton for your help!

-Greg
St. Croix, USVI

Glad everything is working! :mrgreen:
17825 59th Ave NE, Suite B
Arlington, WA 98223
djohnson
OutBack Technical Service

My RE system: [VFXR3524A - v1.6.63] [Mate3S - v1.2.1] [FM80 x2] [FNDC]

Return to Mate3 / Mate3s