Need a bigger breaker

Discussion about the Power System DC Disconnect (PSDC)

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

jkirkebo
Forum Whiz

Need a bigger breaker

Post by jkirkebo » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:48 pm

I have a PS2 system with a VFX2612 inverter. When I use my Bosch 2400W angular cutter for cutting granite the inverter will draw up til 280A from the batteries and the 250A breaker trips after a few seconds.

How can I fix this ? Outback doesn't seem to sell bigger breakers than my 250A, can I parallell 2 175A breakers ?

tallgirl
Forum Emperor
My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 8 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH),

Re: Need a bigger breaker

Post by tallgirl » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:35 pm

You need to consider adding a second inverter. Even if you could find a larger breaker, you have to be exceeding the rated AC output.
Julie in Texas

I ride bicycles. A lot.

blackswan555
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Post by blackswan555 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:15 am

Ditto what TG says, And to add,
WOW you are driving that system hard ! Your grinder will pull up to 5 ish times its rated to start and more than it`s rated if pushed hard, It also has a power factor, so uses a min of 10 % more than rated, That VFX is doing well not to error /overload cut out, (If the breaker did not go out, I think it may)
The work that your batteries are doing is also a concern, 280A as a load requires a serious amount of batteries behind it, A min of 2000ah and you would still be driving them hard 4000ah would probably be closer, What do you have ?
A couple of suggestions
Get a petrol grinder,
Use a generator when using grinder,

Have a good one
Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.

jkirkebo
Forum Whiz

Post by jkirkebo » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:31 am

I have 1900AHs (100hr rating) of battery capacity (3xRolls 4KS25PS in series). The grinder has soft start so it doesn't pull a large starting current.

The VFX2612E is rated to 3100VA for 30 minutes which is plenty for me, I use the grinder for about a minute at a time. Then it will rest for maybe 15 minutes so it would be much work to start/stop the generator all the time...~

The voltage drop when driving the system hard is up to 1V so I don't think the battery bank would support an additional inverter very well. I'll definately buy LiFePo4 batteries next time as they happily put out 3C.