CC SOC says 100% Hydrometer says NO!

Discussion about the FM100, FM80, and FM60 Charge Controllers

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Clem Jonze
Forum Member
My RE system: 12 - 300 Watt ReneSola Panels. 48 Volts - Connected 4 strings of 3 @ 120 Volts each string. Midnight Solar Combiner box, 15 amp breakers - 1 each per string. FlexPower 1 3048. (FlexMax 80, Mate 3, HUB 4, Flexnet DC. Firmware version, (as of 05/28/2015 003.009.000. 8 - (wired in series) Deka L16 375 AH Batteries. The whole RE system lives in a "solar shed" located in the back yard, panels facing South - South West. 4 to 5 hours of full sun per day. Sub panel with 50A breaker that runs to House Main Panel. (ground bond removed from Flex Power 1 - Ground Bond @ Home Main Panel) No 240 V requirements - all 110 Volt.

CC SOC says 100% Hydrometer says NO!

Post by Clem Jonze » Wed May 06, 2015 10:07 pm

Finally purchased a hydrometer to check the SOC of my new 48V Deka L16 battery bank. Deka hydrometer. Seems like an OK one.

SOC on the Mate 3 says 100% (Flexmax 80, Mate 3)

The hydrometer is just into the "RED" (Did not note the actual number...need to get glasses!)

Pretty much a new system, only a month old. Been trusting the data on the CC to give an accurate battery state.

Adsorb: 58.2 V - 3 hours
Float: 54 V

An average daily production of 7.5 KW.
Average daily consumption of 2.5 KW.

I have a second hydrometer at work to get a second opinion...?

Updated to the latest firmware a couple days ago.

Anybody have thoughts?

blackswan555
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Re: CC SOC says 100% Hydrometer says NO!

Post by blackswan555 » Thu May 07, 2015 4:23 am

Try your other hydrometer first (And get a decent one for home, "in the red" sounds like a cheep automotive one ?,,,,, Well get two decent one's, you will bust one :-) ) But your hydro is possibly right, The FNDC is only as good as it is set up and will drift with time, It also defaults to %100 when first connected so your batteries MUST be fully charged when it is connected,

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.

Clem Jonze
Forum Member
My RE system: 12 - 300 Watt ReneSola Panels. 48 Volts - Connected 4 strings of 3 @ 120 Volts each string. Midnight Solar Combiner box, 15 amp breakers - 1 each per string. FlexPower 1 3048. (FlexMax 80, Mate 3, HUB 4, Flexnet DC. Firmware version, (as of 05/28/2015 003.009.000. 8 - (wired in series) Deka L16 375 AH Batteries. The whole RE system lives in a "solar shed" located in the back yard, panels facing South - South West. 4 to 5 hours of full sun per day. Sub panel with 50A breaker that runs to House Main Panel. (ground bond removed from Flex Power 1 - Ground Bond @ Home Main Panel) No 240 V requirements - all 110 Volt.

Post by Clem Jonze » Sat May 09, 2015 6:57 pm

Thanks black swan!

Did not realize the system assumed 100% initial charge!

Ran a three hour EQ, checked SG: 1.27 full charge!

Re started system and double checked all settings, including FDNC.

Looks like we are good to go. Will monitor SG, comparing to SOC reported on the Mate 3.

I may be becoming an obsessive battery checker.....

Thanks,

Chuck of the Jungle

blackswan555
Forum Emperor
My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Post by blackswan555 » Sun May 10, 2015 3:54 am

If you are going to be checking SG's regularly :-) What you are looking for and what to use that information for,

"Fully charged" is not a specific number & does vary across cells, When all the cells in a bank stop rising, That is fully charged, To do EQ your batteries must be fully charged (all cells stop rising) @ absorb voltage before you move to EQ, Then again charge untill all cells stop rising, make a note of all cell SG's as a start to your "service history"

FNDC set-up, Firstly I must say I am not a big fan of it (or any battery monitor) As with yourself they can give a false sense of security, they are not easy to set-up & will drift over time & require recalibrating, once set-up reasonably well they are a good indication but IMHO only that, An indication that should be checked against SG's regularly,
My set-up method is to disable FNDC charge control & start with a long absorb time, Start with 4hrs, keep an eye on Your SG's from around 2 1/2 hrs, After a few days you should see a pattern of when they stop rising, Add half hour & dial that in as absorb time, you should get good SG's every day, Continue monitoring SG's & Calibrate FNDC to them, Once you are happy, You can let FNDC take over (If you want, I stick with time :-))

Have a good one
Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.

Clem Jonze
Forum Member

Post by Clem Jonze » Wed May 20, 2015 9:45 pm

Tim:

Thanks for your assistance! I am finally, (after five days of long adsorb time - 5 hours), seeing the rise of the SG pattern developing. There is a slight variation between cells, but it looks like the batteries are beginning to level out/SG rise is stopping uniformly across the bank.

Making a battery log - service history and diagram to hang in the shed.

Yeah on the cheap automotive hydrometer. Got a Deka from Amazon. Supplies out here in Hawaii can be limited.... you can want what you want but only have what they got....

Aloha,

Chuck

unicornio
Forum Guru
My RE system: VFX3024E - FM60X2 - Hub4 - FlexNet DC 3 shunts - Mate3- Array DC GFS & AC Bypass from Outback - 985 AH C120 OPzS EXIDE Solar Classic battery - KYOCERA 1,56 KWp PV Array- Lorentz ETATrack Solar Tracker with easy inclination axis variation system- 6KVA Yanmar Chinese bio-diesel genset in AGS mode via DeepSea 3110 & Mate3 - Efergy Elite energy monitor- PCE-FWS20 (Watson) Solar Meteo Station

Post by unicornio » Thu May 21, 2015 6:36 am

hi, there!

Take heed of your hydrometer!...;-)
I recommend this:
http://www.solacity.com/docs/hydrovolt.pdf
It is a reliable and accurate, robust and above all, so easy to use tool

it is sell in the us (that i know) from the" bad guys" of midnite solar...:-)

health, Mates!
http://www.tallerecologicolosunicornios.org/ Monitor On-Line planta de energia solar: http://www.jeperez.com/monitor-solar-outback/ Servico Tecnico Oficial de OutBack en Espa├▒a http://www.viviendaaislada.es/