FM80 Stopped Charging until power cycled

Discussion about the FM100, FM80, and FM60 Charge Controllers

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

FM80 Stopped Charging until power cycled

Postby mikedowdell on Tue May 14, 2019 12:44 pm

I had an incident on 5/12 at 3:30pm where I just happened to look at OpticsRE to see how the system was doing on a such a nice sunny day and noticed I wasn't producing and the batteries were depleting rapidly. The event log shows the FM80 switched from Bulk Changing to Absorb Charging at 3:15pm, but when I looked at the FM80 around 3:30pm it was snoozing (this was not registered in the event log), even though it looked to have good voltage coming in. I shut off the PV array breaker and measured it but it seemed normal so I switched it back on... nothing changed. I cycled the battery input to the FM80 to reset it and it immediately began bulk charging, and has worked perfectly for the last 48hrs. I seem to recall reading on here others who have experienced this same thing but I cant seem to find any of those threads. Is this a known random occurrence or a precursor to another fault?
mikedowdell
Forum Whiz

My RE system: Outback FXR2524A-01, FlexMax FM80, Mate3s, Power Hub 4
9x Solar World 250w panels on a 2 axis solar tracker
4x 6v 220ah Trojan Batteries
Hybrid Off Grid with AC as backup

Re: FM80 Stopped Charging until power cycled

Postby raysun on Tue May 14, 2019 2:34 pm

I had seen a couple instances of this a few months ago. I can't tell you the predicate event that caused the FM80 drop into Snooze mode, but it did require resetting to get it charging again.

Those two events have not repeated thankfully.
raysun
Forum Czar

My RE system: Flexpower One: FX3048T, (2) FM80, MATE3s, FlexNetDC
Outback 200NC batteries (8 @ 48v)
Outback IBR3 battery enclosure
Suniva 330 watt panels (12 - 6 Strings @ 2 Series)
Hyundai 355 watt panels (6 - 3 strings @ 2 series)

Return to FLEXmax Charge Controllers