Cursed flexmax

Discussion about the FM100, FM80, and FM60 Charge Controllers

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Cursed flexmax

Postby Shadow_Storm56 on Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:48 am

I'm in a panic now, I had a charge controller which is on my main array just suddenly short it's input which I guess is shorted mosfetts. I got a replacement sent and while I waited for that I moved my main array to another flexmax 60 and turned off a smaller array for the time being. That worked fine so I eventually got my replacement controller and hooked it up. I 1 by 1 moved the wires from the other identical controller to this one making sure everything was perfect. I powered it on and set it up, powered on the solar, input went to 104v which is normal and it said wakeup. Heard the usual click and then it went to 0v dead short. Baffeled and annoyed I moved the connections back to the other controller with again identical connections and that worked fine. So somehow the ethernet cable from the hub that has not changed in a year
Shadow_Storm56
Forum Member

My RE system: Solar panels, charge controllers , outback radian inverter.

Re: Cursed flexmax

Postby Shadow_Storm56 on Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:48 am

or the temp sensor that has not changed in a year is causing the mosfetts to short. I'm mind blow I have no idea what's happening.
Shadow_Storm56
Forum Member

Postby sparksalot on Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:00 pm

Do you know the Sequence Order for switching ON a CC?
Done wrong can have unwanted results.

Battery Switch On First

Inverter Switch On Second

PV Switch On Last

Turning OFF a CC is The Reverse Order
sparksalot
Forum Guru

My RE system: FLEXpower TWO VFXR3648A Grid-Tied and Battery Backup Hybrid

Traction battery FLA 48 volt 805Ahr.

30 SolarWorld 245w mono

Postby Kurt Lundquist on Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:22 pm

What happens to the FM80 PV voltage when you turn off the PV input breaker?

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Renewable Energy Project Engineer
http://alphaenergy.us/
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering

My RE system: VFX3524, Mate3, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Postby Shadow_Storm56 on Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:52 pm

Kurt Lundquist wrote:What happens to the FM80 PV voltage when you turn off the PV input breaker?

-Kurt
sparksalot wrote:Do you know the Sequence Order for switching ON a CC?
Done wrong can have unwanted results.

Battery Switch On First

Inverter Switch On Second

PV Switch On Last

Turning OFF a CC is The Reverse Order
Yea that's what I do normally although I never knew there was an order I just did it that way, except the inverter part is always on and the controllers have seperate switches to turn them on so for me it's controller then PV input switch.

Kurt Lundquist wrote:What happens to the FM80 PV voltage when you turn off the PV input breaker?

It goes to 0v The input voltage of the solar array is between 90-100 and currently when I hook that up the controller reads like 1v and the panels are shorted out by the controller. hook up the indentical controller next to it with all the same wires and it works fine, replace the other one and it does the same thing again it makes no sense. It has to be something to do with the battery temp sensor or the hub connection that is causing this as that's the only thing different between what kills one and what works.
-Kurt
Shadow_Storm56
Forum Member

Postby sparksalot on Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:14 pm

Then as a test, leave ethernet and BT unhooked from both setups and report back the results.
sparksalot
Forum Guru

30 SolarWorld 245w mono

Postby Shadow_Storm56 on Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:08 pm

sparksalot wrote:Then as a test, leave ethernet and BT unhooked from both setups and report back the results.

Well it's not a resetable fault so I'll have to wait for another rma
Shadow_Storm56
Forum Member

Postby sparksalot on Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:53 pm

The current involved to short circuit a FM80 CC to the point of being ruined could never be sustained into a CAT 5 or BT cable without a very noticeable hot and smelly plastic meltdown.
The conductors within would glow a unseen cherry red color just before burning open to clear the short...sort of like what a fuse would do, and that would save CC from more serious damage.
sparksalot
Forum Guru

30 SolarWorld 245w mono

Postby Shadow_Storm56 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:44 pm

sparksalot wrote:The current involved to short circuit a FM80 CC to the point of being ruined could never be sustained into a CAT 5 or BT cable without a very noticeable hot and smelly plastic meltdown.
The conductors within would glow a unseen cherry red color just before burning open to clear the short...sort of like what a fuse would do, and that would save CC from more serious damage.

Not if it was feeding into a spot not designed for current like an ethernet port. Point is the only things different are position on the wall, battery temp sense and ethernet cable and one is fine but the other dies instantly
Shadow_Storm56
Forum Member

Return to FLEXmax Charge Controllers