FM80 with older firmware, should I send it in to be updated?

Discussion about the FM Extreme, FM60 and FM80 Charge Controllers

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

FM80 with older firmware, should I send it in to be updated?

Postby Opti on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:34 am

I'm working on an older solar system and have taken it out of service to upgrade some components. I have an older FM80 with firmware version 002.000.000 on it and while it was down thought to flash the firmware to the current rev. However, from what I've read I can only field flash firmware versions 002.001.000 and newer and would have to ship my unit to the factory to have it updated.

Question: I'm not current with a lot of what's changed with updated firmware revs but I do know that the firmware for the FM80 is at least up to 003.001.000 which is what a second FM80 I recently purchased is currently at. With the older FM80 out of service at the moment, would it be advisable to send it in to update the firmware which may hopefully make life easier for me in the future depending on how I use it? I realize no firmware is perfect and sometimes you trade one problem for another and it maybe better to keep what you've got. However, my thought though is that if there are issues in the future that are fixed with firmware updates, if I at least get past the 002.001.000 version I can field update the unit at some future point without having to take it out of service at a much less opportune time than now.

That said, as I'm looking through the Outback website I don't actually see any firmware updates available for the FM80 so this may not even be an issue if they aren't providing them.
Opti

Re: FM80 with older firmware, should I send it in to be upda

Postby Sandra Herrera on Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:08 pm

Hello,
The latest firmware vision for the FM80 is rev. 3.003.
As you mentioned on your post you would have to send the unit back to the factory for an update.
Before I can make any recommendations, could you please list the issues you are having with the unit?
Sandra Herrera
Applications Engineering

OutBack Power Technologies
Sandra Herrera
OutBack Management

Re: FM80 with older firmware, should I send it in to be upda

Postby Opti on Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:53 pm

I'm not having a specific problem with the unit at this time but I am looking at saving myself time and energy in the future should an issue arise with my future system configuration.
I currently have the FM80 out of service and could easily send it in now to have the firmware updated which won't be the case come spring time. I'm just trying to be pro-active figuring that there have been improvements that have already been addressed in the more recent firmware versions and in case other essential firmware updates come in the future I'd be able to flash the firmware in the field, if it's true what I read that the 002.001 versions and newer are capable of being field refreshed.

For example my second newer FM80 has firmware 003.003 and if I were at some future time wanting to combine my two FM80's together on a system would I need at that point to update the firmware on the older unit to make it more compatible and able to work better together with the newer unit?
Opti

Return to FLEXmax Charge Controllers