AGS and new generator

An area for discussing the OutBack FLEXnet DC product.

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

AGS and new generator

Postby Bobalong on Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:32 pm

I've just ordered a 6KVA diesel generator that is claimed to be capable of being started by my solar power system. I've seen references to 2-wire and 3-wire control connections, and at this point do not know which the generator has. I'm hoping for 2-wire since that appears to be what the FNDC can use. Presumably a module is available to convert if necessary.

I plan to use AGS to start generating on 80% SoC and stop on 90%.

Questions:
1. Should I power down the system before making the connection to the FNDC?
2. Is a separate relay between the FNDC and the generator's control panel advisable?

Thanks
Bobalong
Forum Whiz

My RE system: 24 x 175 watt Sharp solar panels, 2 x MX-60 MPPT, 2 x VFX3048E Inverter-Charger, Mate 2, 48 volt 830 amp-hour battery bank (6RP830)

Re: AGS and new generator

Postby JRHill on Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:37 am

Bobalong, I'm interested in your findings as you receive the generator and look into the correct AGS hook-up. BTW, which gen set did you purchase?

Also of interest to me is the output from the FlexNet which is 30vdc/5a. I am concerned that is rather high, certainly for a 2 wire direct connect? If through a relay (assuming one is found that has a coil rated at 30vdc), then a separate power source (say 12vdc) would be needed for the switch side? I haven't been able to find any documentation on this. I doubt that AGS is standardized and is probably dependent on the gen set mfgrs implementation....

Lastly is the horror story that would result from a gen set that doesn't get along with the inverter's internal battery charger. I have one of those for sale - it was an expensive lesson. (Works fine until any amount of current is to be used for battery charging. Then the unit "hunts" wildly for a moment and the gen set's voltage regulator goes up in smoke).

Best,
Jim
JRHill
Forum Guru

My RE system: -House: FM 80, VFX 3648, FlexnetDC, FlexWare xformer, Mate 3 / Hub, WattPlot/, 2925w SunTech 195, Trojan L16RE-B Batteries. Backup 1: Champion 75531i 3100, backup 2: 11kw Miller Bobcat;
-Well: Grundfos 11-SQF-2 pump, controller & AC switch (CU200, IO101), Morningstar 15a/48vdc Controller, 780w SunTech 195, Trojan golf cart batteries.
-All running since July '11 with no critical problems.

Postby Bobalong on Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:37 pm

Greetings from Down Under,

My generator is a BD6KVADS diesel from Blue Diamond (http://www.bluedm.com.au).

Its ATS connector has 3 pins. Bridging the top and right pins starts the generator after a 10 second pre-heat delay and removing the short stops it. The bottom pin is Earth, as is the threaded bit, and is not used. Sparks will fly if the top or right pins are shorted to the ring. Do check your generator to see if bridging or a 12 volt signal is needed. I use a relay powered by the inverter/charger to provide the bridge.

The person who installed my Solar told me that the FLEXnet DC's AUX is not to be used. Use the AUX teminals (12vdc for my VFX3048E) of the primary inverter/charger which will be connected to the FLEXnet DC's port 1.

My system has a 15 amp input socket for generator charging. I use a 15 amp extension cord from it to the generator. No wiring was required. Properly done there should be a permanent connection. Someday...

Beware the RCD! If your system has MEN earthing then Earth and Neutral will be bridged and an RCD will *always* trip. I had this problem and had to call in an electrician to bypass the RCD for one of the power points.

Good luck
Bobalong
Forum Whiz

My RE system: 24 x 175 watt Sharp solar panels, 2 x MX-60 MPPT, 2 x VFX3048E Inverter-Charger, Mate 2, 48 volt 830 amp-hour battery bank (6RP830)

Postby blackswan555 on Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:30 am

Also of interest to me is the output from the FlexNet which is 30vdc/5a.

Please note, It is NOT an output, It is a relay contact rated @ 5a, 230v AC or 30v DC,

The person who installed my Solar told me that the FLEXnet DC's AUX is not to be used. Use the AUX teminals (12vdc for my VFX3048E) of the primary inverter/charger which will be connected to the FLEXnet DC's port 1.

Some have " Problems" using FNDC for gen, Use FX in port 1 if you can,

Beware the RCD! If your system has MEN earthing then Earth and Neutral will be bridged and an RCD will *always* trip. I had this problem and had to call in an electrician to bypass the RCD for one of the power points.

If the rest of your system & wiring is good, Particularly earth bonding, It should not, RCD is very important, It may save someone's life

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
Forum Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby Bobalong on Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:54 pm

I definitely agree that RCDs are important. However this is the reply I got from my electrician:
If you use a genset with a RCD inbuilt, it will all way trip out the RCD on
the genset, the only way is to use a genset with out a RCD on it.
this is because you are joining into a power system that has an MEN earthing
system which is a requirement by law as it a Site Main Switchboard ( SMSB )
in other word the Neutral is linked to the common earth for safety, and I
stress DO NOT DISCCONNECT this link.

Note the legal requirement here.

In my case the Solar's switchboard, with MEN earthing, feeds the house switchboard which does have RCD fitted.
Bobalong
Forum Whiz

Postby blackswan555 on Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:03 am

a power system that has an MEN earthing
system which is a requirement by law as it a Site Main Switchboard ( SMSB )
in other word the Neutral is linked to the common earth for safety, and I
stress DO NOT DISCCONNECT this link.

Same systems in UK (and some of Spain,Mainly TTS,,,, if anything at all) Unfortunately the "regs" were written for on grid so like a lot of solar, need translating :-)
Our UK version is " the neutral should be bonded at the principal incoming source" Which would be the pole or the main box, The idea is the bond cannot be disconnected without disconnecting the supply,
In our case we have 2 principal source's, Inverter & Gen, I prefer to bond at the neutral bus where everything comes together, What you have to be careful of is if the gen is also bonded, Most "larger" gens are in the top of the alternator, This may cause some to trip RCD

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
Forum Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Return to FLEXnet DC