fndc firmware ?

An area for discussing the OutBack FLEXnet DC product.

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

fndc firmware ?

Postby jmktexas on Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:14 pm

When I received the fndc, documentation said I needed to have firmware 4.xxx.xxx. I called Outback support for upgrade and was told since I bought the Mate3 two months earlier I wouldn't need upgrade even it said 3.xxx.xxx. So I installed the fndc and it appears to be working. Mate3 recognized fndc and batteries started a recharge the next morning, so I guess it's working right. However being so new to all this technology, I wouldn't know if it wasn't working properly. Is there a way to tell? Am I missing some feature from 4.xxx that's not in 3.xxx? And why all the important documentation warning to upgrade if it's not necessary? Really confusing.

Also my understanding is, the system will not use the grid to charge batteries, only PV. Is that correct? I ask because system began charging batteries pretty early in morning and I didn't think I had that much sun yet. Just wondering.

John
jmktexas
Forum Member

My RE system: gvfx 3648, fm80, 12 trojan J185-re, hub 10-4, mate3, fndc monitor, 12 CSX-310P canadian solar panels

Re: fndc firmware ?

Postby klundquist on Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:55 pm

All Mate3 firmware versions are compatible with the FLEXnet DC. The firmware notice applies to the Mate/Mate2 which is a different older style controller than the Mate3.

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Systems Engineer
http://www.alpha.com/solar
klundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering

My RE system: VFX3524, Mate3, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Re: fndc firmware ?

Postby jmktexas on Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:34 pm

Thanks Kurt,

I bet you're getting tired of all my dumb questions but it's a lot quicker than going through ALL the forum stuff. I do believe it would be helpful to all novices of PV systems if Outback could put together something explaining how all the devices interact with each other in different "generic" setups. I don't know, maybe it wouldn't be practical with all the options one could do.

John
jmktexas
Forum Member

My RE system: gvfx 3648, fm80, 12 trojan J185-re, hub 10-4, mate3, fndc monitor, 12 CSX-310P canadian solar panels

Return to FLEXnet DC