best procedure for coordinating voltage readings

An area for discussing the OutBack FLEXnet DC product.

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

best procedure for coordinating voltage readings

Postby Megunticook on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:34 am

I've searched the forum and online and am not at all clear on what the recommended procedure is for making sure all the components of my FlexPower 8048A are on the same page with reading battery voltage accurately.

What I've done so far is hook up my Craftsman Professional DVM to the battery terminals and try to match the FlexMax readings and the inverter reading, but I'm not sure this is right (and how do I know my DVM is accurate?).

I have a brand new bank of Rolls S-550 FLA batteries, they stay on float pretty much all the time (I just installed the entire system about a month ago), but I want to treat them well and make sure my charging parameters are accurate.

If there's a document or something online that outlines the recommended procedure for calibrating the system, that would be very helpful--thanks.
Megunticook
Forum Expert

My RE system: 6.4 kW solar array (21 QCell 305 panels in strings of 3)
GS8048A FLEXpower Radian (Radian 8048A, 2 FlexMax 80 cc's, Mate 3s, FlexNet DC, Hub)
8x6v Rolls-Surette 550 FLA batteries, 428AH

Re: best procedure for coordinating voltage readings

Postby Greg T Fordan on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:04 am

Your installed FNDC has the precedence in measuring your battery voltage. So the battery voltage showing in MATE3s display and Optics is being reported from FNDC. There is no calibrate functionality, unfortunately. If your external voltmeter is showing a different reading and you think that is the most accurate, there's not much you can do. Or you can put in some value of resistor in series with the one of the FNDC wires going to the battery.
Greg T Fordan
EngTech
Outback Power Technologies
Greg T Fordan
OutBack Technical Service

My RE system: Radian, FM80, FNDC, 48V batt bank

Postby Megunticook on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:37 am

OK--so just try and make sure the inverter and CC voltages are synced with the FNDC?
Megunticook
Forum Expert

GS8048A FLEXpower Radian (Radian 8048A, 2 FlexMax 80 cc's, Mate 3s, FlexNet DC, Hub)

Postby Greg T Fordan on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:42 am

Yes, you can do it without FNDC. Without the FNDC, the inverter has the precedence on the voltage display ahead of CC. So you can temporarily remove the FNDC. Inverter and CC has battery voltage calibrate functions.
Greg T Fordan
EngTech
Greg T Fordan

Postby Megunticook on Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:03 pm

Looking at all the devices in OpticRE, everything looks synced on voltage. I assume the voltage displayed in Optics for the inverter is what the inverter is actually reading, not FNDC, right?

Maybe I'm all set, assuming FNDC is accurate.
Megunticook
Forum Expert

Postby Greg T Fordan on Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:26 pm

"I assume the voltage displayed in Optics for the inverter is what the inverter is actually reading, not FNDC, right?"

If you are talking about Output AC voltage, in your case, 240 VAC, YES.
FNDC is only about monitoring battery. It's name in MATE3/s display is Battery Monitor;-)
Greg T Fordan
EngTech
Greg T Fordan

Postby Megunticook on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:36 pm

Actually I meant the battery voltage the displays in Optics when you select the inverter as the "device" and that can be calibrated in the inverter settings.
Megunticook
Forum Expert

Postby Mike Curran on Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:41 pm

It's good to have all the battery voltages match, but just as importantly, they must be accurate in order for your system to keep your battery healthy.

Note that there are two battery voltages displayed on the Optics device page for your inverter, one is "as measured" and the other is temperature compensated (for a cold battery this reads lower than actual, reflecting the lower potential energy in a cold battery - and vice-versa for a warm battery). The voltages displayed for all other devices are actual, not temperature compensated. So when comparing them be sure you're looking at the inverter's actual voltage measurement, not the temperature compensated one.
Mike Curran
Forum Guru

My RE system: Outback:
- 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one MX60
- 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80
- 2 grid-tied GVFX3524's classic stacked for 120/240VAC
- 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah
- Hub10.3, Mate3, FNDC, RTS, OpticsRE. Tigo Energy ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar:
- 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters, grid-tied.

Postby pss on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:00 pm

Wow, this thread is a little messy.
Here is how to find and confirm your actual battery voltage.
Put your meter on the leads going into the load center or inverter.
On the Mate3, press the third key from the left which should be underneath the little inverter icon. Then press the button labelled Next three times.
This should bring you to a screen that displays the Actual battery voltage in the left, upper column of the display and it will match your meter's reading. If not, confirm the accuracy of your meter.
There is no other display or Optics RE output that does this, the others are all approximations.
pss
Forum Expert

My RE system: 7800 watts in three strings, Flexmax 60 x 3, Radian 8046A, GLSC load center, Mate 3, Hub 10.3 and 900 Amp, 48V Trojan T105-RE battery bank.

Postby Greg T Fordan on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:41 am

pss, that battery voltage is according to Inverter.
According to Outback, the battery monitor (FNDC) shows the most accurate reading. And that is the voltage that is being displayed in MATE3 main screen, and below the battery icon in Optics.
Press the button below battery icon, then next. There goes the battery voltage as per FNDC;-)
Greg T Fordan
EngTech
Greg T Fordan

Return to FLEXnet DC