Charge Full Params FlexnetDc

An area for discussing the OutBack FLEXnet DC product.

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

Charge Full Params FlexnetDc

Postby ianMc on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:54 pm

Screenshot 2017-01-06 07.48.25.png

With the settings above in my FLEXNETDC I can never get a full state of charge in the mate3 interface

OpticsRE says full state of charge

What am I missing

Kind Regards

Ian
ianMc
OutBack Whiz

My RE system: 58 x 170w Solar Panels Aprox 11000 Watts
3x FM80-150VDC
3Phase Power
3x2 GVFX3048E ie 6000Wats Per Phase
24x2volt 1000 AMPH FLA Batteries
1x Mate 3
1x FlexnetDc
OpticsRe

Re: Charge Full Params FlexnetDc

Postby Sandra Herrera on Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:45 am

Ian,
First step is to verify the programming on the FN-DC, this application note should help you select best starting setting.

http://outbackpower.com/downloads/docum ... p_note.pdf

Based on the setting you have posted, it looks like your return amps are wrong, for a new battery it should be 2% to 5% of the capacity at C/20
Sandra Herrera
Applications Engineering

OutBack Power Technologies
Sandra Herrera
OutBack Management

Postby blackswan555 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:16 am

Got to be one of the most puzzling manuals I have ever seen, I have read the below probably 10 times & still can make no sense of it ,,,, So the battery does not reach its expected charging voltage but "it" calculates there has been enough amps returned, "it" decides that batteries are 100%, Ignoring the fact that batteries have to reach their charging voltage and be held there for however long to charge,,,,, You can count all the amps you like, But that is the physics of it :smile:

This is a safety mode for batteries that are not able to reach the expected voltages. If triggered, the Float
Mode will cause the state of charge to jump to 100% to protect the battery. This mode is triggered
whenever the net ampere-hour value returned to the battery is greater than zero, the net charging current
is positive, and the battery voltage is less than the Charged Parameters Met Voltage by 0.4V (this is
independent of system voltage). Once triggered, the MATE3 will report a state of charge of 100%.
The Float Mode is especially helpful when the system is programmed to make decisions based on state
of charge. For example, if the batteries cannot reach the Charged Parameters Met voltage, but the
generator has put enough ampere-hours into the batteries such that the total AH value is positive, the
inverter will stop the generator via the AGS setting by using the state of charge value.
A second condition that will trigger the Float Mode is if the absorb timer is set too low and the net
Ampere-hours become positive during the float stage. The extent of the state of charge “jump” will
largely depend on the programmed Battery Charge Factor
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby Sandra Herrera on Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:26 am

Please try the application note
Sandra Herrera
Applications Engineering

OutBack Power Technologies
Sandra Herrera
OutBack Management

Postby ianMc on Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:12 pm

Sandra Herrera wrote:Ian,
First step is to verify the programming on the FN-DC, this application note should help you select best starting setting.

http://outbackpower.com/downloads/docum ... p_note.pdf

Based on the setting you have posted, it looks like your return amps are wrong, for a new battery it should be 2% to 5% of the capacity at C/20

Hi Sanda

Am I missing something, the return amps of 14.5 on 1100ah batteries looks correct. What is your calc

Regards

Ian
ianMc
OutBack Whiz

3x FM80-150VDC
3Phase Power
1x Mate 3
1x FlexnetDc
OpticsRe

Postby Mike Curran on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:43 am

With the settings above in my FLEXNETDC I can never get a full state of charge in the mate3 interface

OpticsRE says full state of charge.

Ian, please explain what you mean... I assume you're saying OpticsRE says SOC = 100% (as displayed on the summary and battery graphs), but not sure what reading "in the Mate3 interface" you're referring to. Is it the item labelled "C" on this Mate3 legend photo?

20170213_114022.jpg

Not sure I can help, in any case, but perhaps clarifying this may assist someone else...
Mike Curran
OutBack Guru

My RE system: Outback: 8 (2x4) Evergreen 180's into one MX60, 6 (2×3) ALEO S79-300's into one FM80, 2 grid-tied GVFX3524's classic stacked for 120/240VAC, 12 Surrette/Rolls 2V x 1766Ah, Hub10.3, Mate3, FNDC, RTS, OpticsRE. Tigo Energy ES maximizers on each PV module.

Westinghouse Solar: 30 (2x15) 235W panels with Enphase M215 microinverters. 6,450 nameplate watts AC, grid-tied.

Postby Guydav on Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:42 pm

Hi all,
Would i Be right in thinking that the return amps set on the FNDC will over ride or take precedence the return amps set on the Fm 80 charge controller?

Guy
Guydav

My RE system: Outback Flexware 500 system,
1 x Mx 60 charge controller.
1 x Flex max 80 charge controller
1 x Hub 10. 1 x Mate.
1.1 KW static solar array.
12 Sanyo panels 2.820 KW on 2 axis tracker.
750 amp/Hr 48 volt battery bank
10 Kva Diesel Generator
1 Remote Temperature Sender (RTS).
Flexnet DC

Postby ianMc on Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:06 pm

Mike Curran wrote:

OpticsRE says full state of charge.

Ian, please explain what you mean... I assume you're saying OpticsRE says SOC = 100% (as displayed on the summary and battery graphs), but not sure what reading "in the Mate3 interface" you're referring to. Is it the item labelled "C" on this Mate3 legend photo?

20170213_114022.jpg

Not sure I can help, in any case, but perhaps clarifying this may assist someone else...

If you access the mate 3 with a browser (I can no longer do this for some unknown reason) there is a parameter "Days since charge parameters met" The item you label c will reflect 100% on a daily basis, but often I can go days without meeting the charge parameters.

If I keep the system charging on city power (We have had rain for a week), the "Days since charge parameters met" will be reached every day.

Could it be that my charge controllers are not properly configured?
ianMc
OutBack Whiz

3x FM80-150VDC
3Phase Power
1x Mate 3
1x FlexnetDc
OpticsRe

Return to FLEXnet DC