where can I get a copper bus?

OutBack's newest innovation in balance-of-system components

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

where can I get a copper bus?

Postby teksaport on Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:33 pm

I know the first thing I'm going to hear is about a copper bus bar, but that is not my question. So to make sure I'm explaining this correctly, in some of the wiring diagrams it shows a "copper bus" (not bar), attached to two breakers. This url/pdf is one of those:
http://www.outbackpower.com/pdf/wiring_ ... fx3048.pdf

It shows in the FW-500DC, from the battery + attaching to one of the two breakers and both breakers are joined at the bottom via a "copper bus" as labeled in the PDF. Which then allows both breakers to be connected to a single source, with a secondary wire to go down to the DC Positive bus bar. The goal here being to use 2 breakers in parrellel from 1 source like the PDF shows.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these? DC breakers aren't very common (not a local hardware store), and something like this copper bus seems impossible to find. And my breakers did not come with one either. Any help on how to order one? I've searched google and wasn't coming up with anything. I could build some wires to do this, but it seems via the diagram that there must be some kind of prebuilt item ready and waiting for my to buy it.

Thanks
John
teksaport

My RE system: In progress: *6 Sharp NT175U1 24v panels, *1 FM-60, *1 GVFX-3648 (1 more to get), *8 12v 100 AH in series parellel (48v) (changing to 8D or L16 later), *FW-500 back plate, *FW500-DC, *DC Inverter Breakers, *DC PV Breakers, *RTS, FW500-AC, ACA, DCA, HUB4, AC breakers, FlexNet DC, PV mounting rails, PV tilt legs, *Electric Room, *Battery Box

* = Purchased

Re: where can I get a copper bus?

Postby blackswan555 on Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:21 am

have a look at http://www.outbackpower.com/products/in ... ellaneous/ About half way down ,
FW-BBUS Breaker Bus allows connection of two 175-250A, three 100-125A, four 1-80A DC breakers or three 500 Amp DC current shunts - plated copper rated for 500 Amp. Available from OB dealers,
Alternatively if you can get hold of some reasonable quality flat copper bar/plate of 4mm ish/+ it is not hard to make your own (I have seen water pipe flattened used, But it can be very poor quality copper, not recommended) It`s only a bit of copper plate with holes drilled in it then plated, Be sure to use a little grease on either,
Have a good one
Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Re: where can I get a copper bus?

Postby teksaport on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:14 pm

One just has to know where to look. Thank you so much for that. I spent hours trying to find something like that on the web without success. I was sure my OutBack dealer could get it, but without a part number, he didn't know what it was either. So this is perfect. Again, thank you.

John
teksaport

My RE system: In progress: *6 Sharp NT175U1 24v panels, *1 FM-60, *1 GVFX-3648 (1 more to get), *8 12v 100 AH in series parellel (48v) (changing to 8D or L16 later), *FW-500 back plate, *FW500-DC, *DC Inverter Breakers, *DC PV Breakers, *RTS, FW500-AC, ACA, DCA, HUB4, AC breakers, FlexNet DC, PV mounting rails, PV tilt legs, *Electric Room, *Battery Box

* = Purchased

Return to FLEXware