FW500-AC is ACDC!

OutBack's newest innovation in balance-of-system components

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

FW500-AC is ACDC!

Postby davidl on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:19 am

I bought an FW500-DC and an FW500-AC. The FW500-DC knock-out fits perfectly to the DCA which fits perfectly to the Inverter/Charger. Thus the right hand side (DC) enclosure fits perfectly.

However, not matter what I do, I cannot get the FW500-AC knock-outs to fit to the FW-ACA even if I turn the FW500-AC upside down. It seems to me that the FW500-AC that I have been sold is actually an FW500-DC enclosure with an FW500-AC front.

Can anyone send me a photograph of the right hand side of the FW500-AC enclosure? This will help me determine if I am nuts or if the distributor in Johannesburg doesn't understand my problem. Note that the distributor in Johannesburg says that the FW500-AC enclosure has a different sized hole to the fitting on the FW-ACA. I think they are wrong, but am happy to take advice.

Regards
David
davidl

My RE system: Grid Interactive System
8 x Unisolar PVL 128s
4 x SonX RA12-260D set up as 520AH at 24Volts.
Outback GVFX3024E (upgraded from VFX3024) Inverter Charger
Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT Solar Charge Controller
Flexnet DC + 3 Current Shunts
Outback Mate System Display
Outback Hub 4 Communications Manager
Outback Remote Temperature Sensor
Flexware 500 Enclosure System (incl AC and DC adapta boxes, fuses, other enclosures)
Flexware Surge Protector
Ground Fault Protection Device

+

1KW 24Volt Futurenergy Wind Turbine
Xantex C60 Charge Controller
Dumpload
Stop Switch and Isolator

Re: FW500-AC is ACDC!

Postby SteveHiggins on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:00 pm

There are pictures of this in the FW500 AC manual...

Yes the knockouts are larger in the ACA than in the FW500.

Because of the tight tolerances of the mounting studs on the back plate there are slight variances in the hole punches. There is a 1 inch knockout, and a 1 and 1/2 inch knockout on the FWACA... The holes will be a little offcenter but with the mounting screws loose you should be able to install the bushing which will help in lining up the boxes.

Make sure you run the Comm cables first otherwise it will not fit with the H,N,ground conductors already run.
Steve Higgins
Technical Services Director- Surrette Battery Company

\
SteveHiggins
OutBack Czar

Postby davidl on Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:52 am

Dear Steve

We are working with the enclosures, but it seems like we will need to make a whole which just doesn't seem right.

Please can you take a photo of the right hand side of the AC enclosure (when looking from the front) and the left hand side of the DC enclosure and put it on the forum or email it to davidl@orbitalre.co.za?

Regards
David
davidl

8 x Unisolar PVL 128s
Flexware 500 Enclosure System (incl AC and DC adapta boxes, fuses, other enclosures)
Flexware Surge Protector

+

Dumpload
Stop Switch and Isolator

Postby Johnny B on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:59 am

Hi David,

The enclosure for the FW-500 & FW-1000's are universal chassis'. Meaning that one chassis is an AC & a DC enclosure. When looking at the front of the enclosure, the left side is the DC side, and the right side is the AC side. I'm surprised that your ACA EKO is not lining up with the AC chassis side EKO. The chassis EKO has a tolerance of .010" - .020", which should not be an issue. There is a bit of tolerance stack ups between the mounting plate / inverter / ACA / and the Chassis, but it shouldn't be so much that you can't line things up. It sounds like your EKO's are really not lining up at all. Is it possible that you could try to take some pics and post them? I really would like to get to the bottom of this...If possible take a pic from the ACA side to show how much the chassis EKO is off. Also, could you take a crude measurement from the ACA EKO centerline to the AC chassis side EKO?

Thanks,
Johnny B
Johnny B

Postby gasmandave on Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:07 pm

David,
Is it possible your enclosure is upside down? I recently started assembling my Flex-500 system and everything fits. I did note that the AC and DC enclosures are the same base cabinet.

Dave
gasmandave
gasmandave
OutBack Whiz

My RE system: FlexWare500 system, GVFX3648, MX-60, hub, mate, FlexNetDC, 8-6v 210ah GC-2 batteries in series (48v). 1845 watts solar pole mounted (dual-axis) - (9 Kyocera 205 watt solar panels). Wife say, no more panels for now!

Postby davidl on Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:36 am

Thanks all. The enclosures are exactly the same.

The main problem was that the hole on the enclosure is a different size to the hole on the left hand side of the ACA.

All sorted now.

Thanks for all the help.

It took longer than it should have to sort out as I couldn't view an existing installation. However, if anyone else in Cape Town (or South Africa) wishes to see an installation they can refer to me :)
davidl

8 x Unisolar PVL 128s
Flexware Surge Protector

+

Dumpload
Stop Switch and Isolator

Return to FLEXware