Flexware 250 and FW-SP-250

OutBack's newest innovation in balance-of-system components

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Flexware 250 and FW-SP-250

Postby William of Orange on Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:40 am

Just a suggestion but wouldnt it be a good idea to offer the AC Flexware 250 box with the FW-SP-250 saving on duplication of the lid ( Cover) and a maybe a slight cost saving, encouraging installers and DIY people to fit Surge protection from day One. The other advantage is you could stick the Flexware Logo :-" the right way as u knowing it is going to be used as AC box.

Part no FW-SP-250-Combi :-k
William of Orange
OutBack Expert

My RE system: Outback FP1-6 + FM60, 24 x 2v Varta FLA 700ah cells. 2400w Fixed Array, 12 x 200w Isophoton Mono Crystalline Cells, 6 x 162 w Poly Crystalline Modules on Lorentz Single Axis Tracker. To fit
1 KW Aerodyne Longbow Wind Turbine.

Re: Flexware 250 and FW-SP-250

Postby tallgirl on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:39 am

I'm not familiar enough with the products to know what the heck I'm writing, but this could be a safety or quality of installation issue. The surge suppressor on my system is located at the main service disconnect, with additional suppressors at the PV disconnect and AC OUT disconnects.

Depending on the layout and isolation between components, there could be a significant advantage in separating and isolating the surge suppressors from other components. I do have a suppressor inside my main service disconnect, but in that instance it's a requirement that it be attached to the LINE IN bus bars. Additional protection should be located elsewhere to protect against those surges which have different origins.
Julie in Texas

greenMonitor(tm) for OutBack Power Technologies systems from greenHouse Gas and Electric. Learn more now!
tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 24 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH), 14 Pantheon-based ACPV modules (3,200 watts DC), La Crosse Technologies WS2310 Weather Station, greenLogger Sensors environmental monitor, WattNode watt-hour meter, greenLogger Lite data logger.

Postby William of Orange on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:51 pm

TG there FWSP 250 is designed to fit in the FW250
William of Orange
OutBack Expert

My RE system: Outback FP1-6 + FM60, 24 x 2v Varta FLA 700ah cells. 2400w Fixed Array, 12 x 200w Isophoton Mono Crystalline Cells, 6 x 162 w Poly Crystalline Modules on Lorentz Single Axis Tracker. To fit
1 KW Aerodyne Longbow Wind Turbine.

Postby GreenerPower on Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:51 pm

I think the OB SP is primarily for the inverter and to easily qualify for the extended guarantee application where it requires to surge protect the AC in, AC out and DC In. Of course, to better protect your AC, DC devices, you can strategicly place surge protection devices at proper places, but these would be hard to prove that the inverter would be properly surge protected.
GP
Be greener and may the force be with you
GreenerPower
OutBack Guru

Postby tallgirl on Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:20 am

GreenerPower wrote:I think the OB SP is primarily for the inverter and to easily qualify for the extended guarantee application where it requires to surge protect the AC in, AC out and DC In. Of course, to better protect your AC, DC devices, you can strategicly place surge protection devices at proper places, but these would be hard to prove that the inverter would be properly surge protected.
GP

Right, but that still doesn't address what I wrote about being physically isolated from whatever space the inverters occupy. Having physical isolation makes it more difficult for an ionization pathway to be created between conductors. Placing surge protection near entry points is also important, which is why surge protection requires more than just one surge suppressor.
Julie in Texas

greenMonitor(tm) for OutBack Power Technologies systems from greenHouse Gas and Electric. Learn more now!
tallgirl
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: 16 Kyocera KC175GT (2,800 watts DC), MX-60, 2 OutBack GVFX3648, 24 GC2 batteries (6v @ 215AH), 14 Pantheon-based ACPV modules (3,200 watts DC), La Crosse Technologies WS2310 Weather Station, greenLogger Sensors environmental monitor, WattNode watt-hour meter, greenLogger Lite data logger.

Return to FLEXware