How to start a new system if batteries are not charged

A place to post images of your OutBack Power System

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

How to start a new system if batteries are not charged

Postby TreeFarmer on Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:45 pm

I am installing an off grid 120 V only AC/48 V DC solar system on the house we are building on our tree farm. The system consists of 24 panels (7.3 kW), the FP2 VFXR3648A FM80 dual inverter center, a battery bank (eight Fullriver AGM DC400-6 batteries, 415 Ah), and a Kohler 12RES propane generator. We live in a different state (I still work), and so I can come to my tree farm only a few times a year for a short period of time to work on the system. And then I need to be prepared – we do not have phone signal/Internet on the farm, and the nearest Home Depot in nearly one hour drive away! During my first trip, I installed the panels (photo 1), and during the two next trips, I wired the generator, made a battery bank enclosure, built runways, and wired everything (photo 2). Now, next time, I need to test, program, and start the entire system.

In describing how to start the system, the FXR manual assumes that the batteries are at least somewhat charged, but my Fullriver batteries (purchased from Wholesale Solar) arrived uncharged (0 V; is this normal?). In addition, it almost always rains in November in western Washington (not sure if panels generate anything on a typical day in November). So, I seem to have a catch 22: I need my batteries to be charged in order to program/start the system, but I need the system (chargers and charge controllers) running in order to charge the batteries. What is a solution? Should I rent a changer and charge my batteries first? Or is there a way to use the equipment I already have?
Attachments
Photo 2.pdf
Power center/raceways/distribution panel/battery bank
(969.07 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Photo 1.pdf
Solar panels
(371.32 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
TreeFarmer

My RE system: 24 305W Astroenergy panels, Outback FP2 VFXR3648A inverter with 2 FM80, 8 Fullriver 415 Ah 48V AGM batteries, propane Kohler 12RES generator

Re: How to start a new system if batteries are not charged

Postby blackswan555 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:02 pm

my Fullriver batteries (purchased from Wholesale Solar) arrived uncharged (0 V; is this normal?).
I do not have direct experience of your batteries but I would say they have been in storage for way to long, A 0 volt reading usually means dead,,,, You may get them back with a very long charge, But I would not put money on it, I would strongly suggest you talk to Full River tech before you go much further.
http://www.fullriverbattery.com/content/contact

Tim
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Postby TreeFarmer on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:15 pm

Tim: Thank you very much for your help. I received the batteries in July, so I hope they are not dead... Oh well, I have contacted the seller's technical support as a first step. Thank you again!
TreeFarmer

My RE system: 24 305W Astroenergy panels, Outback FP2 VFXR3648A inverter with 2 FM80, 8 Fullriver 415 Ah 48V AGM batteries, propane Kohler 12RES generator

Postby stevetull on Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:47 pm

Hey Treefarmer.
I saw your post and I was interested in seeing how you came out with your Fullriver batteries. Did Wholesale Solar make it good?
I saw your pics and I must say that's a pretty clean installation.

-Steve
stevetull
OutBack Expert

My RE system: FlexPower Two:
2 VFX3648, X240, 2 MX60, Mate 3s, FnDC, Hub 10
18 Kyocera KC-175GT facing south at 30 degrees
12 Astronergy CHSM6610P-270 facing southwest @ 10 degrees
Total of ~6.4Kw.
16 Fullriver AGM DC400-6 = 830Ah @ 48v
eu2000i
OpticRE: Paige cabin

Return to My OutBack Power System