Off grid self-installation

A place to post images of your OutBack Power System

Moderators: OutBack Moderator Team, OutBack

Off grid self-installation

Postby Boonys on Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:40 pm

This is just an image that was finally updated from the satellite.

I'm starting to work on the carport, which will total me at about 6000 watts.....supplemented with propane for heating, cooking, refrigeration, etc, traditional septic system. I got several rocks the size of VWs out of that deal (haha). All uni-solar panels thankfully. We had 2" hail last year. My panels were not damaged, everybody else's were destroyed. I purchased the property with an existing water well. That's all that was here....and the clearing in the middle.

I have two FM80s and two 3648 inverters. One of the inverters is a spare. I'm charging 8 Trojan L-16 batteries. I operate the well pump with a gasoline generator.

It works. I live by myself and don't require what a family man would. I'm thankful for that. I built my house and everything, with my own two hands....by myself.

This system will power everything but my hot water heater, when the sun is out. I got a Suburban SW10DE for heating water.
Attachments
satellite.jpg
Boonys

My RE system: 2)FM80s-1)FM60, 2)3648 Inverters.....

Re: Off grid self-installation

Postby SandyP on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:01 pm

Looks like you have done a great job getting this built and set up.
Nothing like looking at something and knowing you made it yourself and being relatively self sufficient is great.
SandyP
OutBack Guru

My RE system: 8 x 190W 24V Suntech panels (4 strings of 2)
Mate2
Outback FM60 MPPT
12 x 2V Hoppecke GEL 660 Ah C100 - 24V System
Outback VFX3024 Inverter/Charger
Victron BMV-602s
Honda 5.5kW Genset

Postby Boonys on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:00 am

I think getting the batteries to last long, is the hardest part. I've had to do a lot to never let them go below 50 volts. They are very expensive.

When I put in the panels on the carport, I should be able to run my AC even when clouds block the sun.
Boonys

My RE system: 2)FM80s-1)FM60, 2)3648 Inverters.....

Postby blackswan555 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Do you have hydrometer and check bat SGs ? What is your approx maximum loading on them ? When was the last time you EQd ? what is your usual minimum SOC ? how much water do they use ? ( Assuming they are FLA batteries)

All of the above may seem irrelevant to original post but
I've had to do a lot to never let them go below 50 volts.
may be doing the opposite to what you think and shortening your battery life, These are deep cycle batteries, They NEED to be deep cycled at least once every few months to prevent sulphation and stratification, (down to about 50% with a decent hard load on them, C/5 to C/10 ish, then back up untill SGs stop rising at normal absorb v then EQ, Again untill all SGs stop rising,

Tim

to add please fill in your profile as fully as possible, it helps us help you, The above is assuming you have FLA batteries, Some of the above will not apply if they are sealed, E.G you can not check SG and you do not EQ or add water :smile:
My comments are based on my experience and research, They are not endorsed or checked by Outback.I am an independent British electrician living in Spain, So please take this into account when reading /acting on my post`s.
blackswan555
OutBack Emperor

My RE system: Other peoples, VFX "E" versions, FLA`s, Generators.

Return to My OutBack Power System