Scheduling problems

A place to post images of your OutBack Power System

Moderators: OutBack, OutBack Moderator Team

Scheduling problems

Postby jonathanpr on Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:06 am

I have a Radian 4048A with a FM80 and MATE3S. I am learning to program my system and trying to optimize operations. I have played with Grid Use time and Flextime scheduling. Both gave me the same problems. I am aware of the incompatibility with HBX and Load Grid Transfer.
So, here is the problem:
I want the system to run Grid Tied during the day and then either Off Grid or GridZero at night.
I program the scheduling during the day, when the system is in Grid Tied. It runs fine and then even switches to the second mode (Off Grid or GridZero) at the assigned time. However, in the morning when it is supposed to return to Grid Tied, it does not. So my panels under full sun are producing 0 kW. the batteries appear to be charging, but from the grid, not the sun.
I installed the system in September and updated the firmware in October 2018.
Jonathan Friedman
Arecibo, PR
"Physics doesn't care what you believe." - Scott Denning and many others
jonathanpr
Forum Junior Member

My RE system: Radian 4048A inverter, FM80 Flexmax Charge Controller, MATE3S Controller, 8x Outback 200PLC Carbon Batteries, 15 Trina 280W panels

Re: Scheduling problems

Postby Kurt Lundquist on Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:15 pm

What is the Absorb time on the inverter? Bump your charge controllers Absorb/Float targets up .2 V above the inverter charge targets. My guess it isn't selling because it is stuck charging batteries. You can reduce inverter Absorb to .1 hr then watch for ~15 minutes in the morning to see if it starts selling. Make sure Advanced Grid Tie control is turned off in the FN-DC menu.

-Kurt
Kurt Lundquist
Renewable Energy Project Engineer
http://alphaenergy.us/
Kurt Lundquist
Alpha Energy Engineering

My RE system: VFX3524, Mate3, 200Ah 24V AGM Battery Bank

Postby jonathanpr on Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:54 pm

What is the Absorb time on the inverter?

It was 5 hours, which I believe I took from the PLC200 battery recommended settings.
Bump your charge controllers Absorb/Float targets up .2 V above the inverter charge targets. My guess it isn't selling because it is stuck charging batteries. You can reduce inverter Absorb to .1 hr then watch for ~15 minutes in the morning to see if it starts selling.

The charge controllers Absorb/Float were set to 0.2V above the comparable settings for the inverter.
I will test the absorb time the next time I can be there to monitor it under full sun.
Make sure Advanced Grid Tie control is turned off in the FN-DC menu.

Confirmed that the setting for "Auto Grid Tie" is "N"
I will keep you apprised.
I ran the profile wizard today, thinking maybe I made some obscure mistake. It is running on the new program.
Jonathan Friedman
Arecibo, PR
jonathanpr
Forum Junior Member

My RE system: Radian 4048A inverter, FM80 Flexmax Charge Controller, MATE3S Controller, 8x Outback 200PLC Carbon Batteries, 15 Trina 280W panels

Postby jonathanpr on Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:46 pm

Well, things haven't gotten better. I had one good day, last Saturday, but Sunday and today I think I used more energy from the grid than I ever have, even from before I had this system. Now, the batteries have sent power to the grid. Sometimes I even see solar power going to the grid, but then it jumps back to 0 kW. This is independent of whether there is sun or cloud.
Also, now I have had three temp sensor failures in the past week. I don't know if it is the sensor or something else.

I received some advice from Quinn in tech support. That seemed to help at first, but now it is just not working as I would expect. It seems to just want to charge from the grid. This, in spite of the fact that the inverters settings are lower voltage, so that the charge controller should be in charge of the batteries.

This system is visible on OpticsRE (jonathanpr). If anyone more knowledgeable than I wants to look at it and tell me what I've done wrong, I would appreciate the support. Thank you.
Jonathan Friedman
Arecibo, PR
jonathanpr
Forum Junior Member

Return to My OutBack Power System